Lady Shocks at Creighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks at Creighton

Haleigh starts ahead of Val. Considering Val's offensive struggles in the Valley and Creighton's three-point shooting and the consequent need for Haleigh's defense, this cannot be too much of a surprise.

At the first media timeout, Shocks lead 5-4 with Haleigh scoring all five points. Creighton is 0-3 from beyond the arc.

11-15 at the second media timeout. Creighton (Kelsey Woodard) has finally knocked down a couple of threes, but Haleigh had a steal and layup and now has seven points.

13-19 at the eight minute media timeout. Daria is 1-8 and Marisah is 1-5. Getting outrebounded 14-9, but Creighton has six TOs to our five.

Daria picks up her third foul with 6:30 to play in the half.

15-25 at the four minute media timeout. The defense seems adequate, but only shooting 28%. Haleigh now has nine points.

17-32 at the half. Shooting has dropped to 26%, while Creighton has warmed up to 41% and 42% on threes. We missed all three free throw attempts and had only two points in each of the last three media timeout segments. As usual, getting outboarded, 25-16. No points from the bench. Daria with three is the only foul trouble.

The second half begins with the same five as began the game.

Daria scores the first five points of the half and Marisah adds a bucket, 24-32.

25-36 at first media timeout. Again, they win the first segment of the half. Trying to win each segment is something Jody has talked about before.

25-41 at the twelve minute media timeout. Held scoreless in this segment. Outrebounded 39-20 with fourteen offensive rebounds by Creighton.

30-48 at the eight minute timeout. Val has knocked down a three. Uh oh, Gametracker has gone dead on me. :)

34-50 at the four minute timeout. Good defensive effort, but shooting and rebounding remain woeful.

Another steal and layup by Haleigh causes a Creighton timeout. And now a Jacie three-ball, her first points of the day. Shocks full court pressure has bothered Creighton. A Daria three leads to another Creighton timeout. 42-52.
    A great effort late as Marisah has a steal and layup.

31% from the field and 3-8 from the line. Outrebounded, 50-30. Led by Haleigh and Daria with twelve apiece.

Lady Shocks 45-53 Creighton

Thanks for the nice recap Moose.

Earlier in the year I told my wife that I wouldn't be surprised to see Haleigh move into the starting lineup primarily due to her athleticism and her defense.

The 12 points today and 7 points off the bench against Drake is a nice bonus.

Daria and Haliegh give us two excellent athletes on the floor. Both tend to get into foul trouble. We may need them to throttle back just a little on the chances they take and pick their spots for steals becuase I think we are a better team with them on floor.

Shocks still struggling on the road. However, last year they lost the Drake, Creighton road swing by a combined 73 points. This year was by a combined 28 points. Not great, but not a total embarrassment like last year.

Shocks have tough home stand coming up vs Indiana State and Illinois State.

Comment

I was up in Omaha by chance on friday night and saturday afternoon so swang by and watched the girls play. It would be nice if we could play as well in the 1st half as we seem to play in the 2nd. I still enjoy watching them play no matter what the results as the intensity never seems to come down and they work hard till the end.

I can't listen to the coaches show tomorrow night but I'm hoping someone will ask why after making a run at the end and getting it to 8 with about 30-35 seconds left that we didn't foul them. It would have been the 9th team foul so they would have shot a 1-1 and they had missed several of their last freethows. If they miss the front end and you come down and hit a 3 it's a 5pt game with 20 seconds left which I've seen pulled out before. I thought the girls deserved to try for the win till the end, but it might be something with Adam's coaching philosophy.

Comment

I think 6 turnovers is terrific! Certainly some kudos for that. Wonder if it's the low record for the program?

And block (4) and steal (9) numbers are very good, too.

I think for a rough road trip they did very well. I can imagine a bus ride to Omaha is not exactly energizing. (I assume they went by bus...)

Go Lady Shocks!

Comment

the 6 turnovers are the least in a game by a mvc team so far this season

not really a surprise that this has been an improvement for the shockers this season, since adams' murray state team was 3rd in the nation in turnovers last season

Comment

Working...
          X