Lady Shocks vs Western Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks vs Western Illinois

This was a game I was expecting the Shockers to win against the now 1-9 Westerwinds and the did come out with a solid 65-46 victory.

However, I will say Western Illinois was better than I was expecting based on their RPI. The have some good shooters and a solid center in #50, Ashely Lord who only scored 2 points, but had 15 rebounds. Brian Petrata said that Western Illinois was 17th in the nation in team 3-point shooting % coming in to the game. WIU was pretty well coached and ran a good, disciplined offensive scheme.

Shocks defense gave up some good early looks to WIU, bot overall played very well, especially in the 2nd half, and held WIU to 3 three pointers on 16 attempts.

Daria Frazier with one of her better performances scoring 18 points on
    8-14 shooting while adding 8 rebounds and playing solid defense.

Marcy Sudbeck sat out a good portion of the frist half but still finishes with 12 points and 8 rebounds.

Marisah Henderson also played well contributiing 13 points on 5-8 shooting including 3-5 on treys, including to big 3 pointers as the Shockers pulled away in the 2nd half. Marisah also dished out 11 assists and had only 3 turnovers in 35 minutes of play.

Daria, Marcy and Marisah combined to shoot 19-32 (59.4%) from the field.

The bench also contributed some nice minutes and pretty much held their own.

As a team the Shocks had 18 assists while turning the ball over only 13 times. One of their bettet performances in that regard this year.

Overall, I thought it was a very solid game by the Shocks.

:clap: :goshocks: :good:

With about 8:30 left in the 1st half Marcy went to the bench with her 2nd foul and would not return unitl the 2nd half. At that point the Shcokers trailed 15-16.

Daria pretty much put the team on her back, scoring 10 of her 18 points during the last 8:00 minutes of the 1st half to lead the Shockers to a 32-26 win.

The Shockers put the game away in the 2nd half hitting 12 of their first 17 field goal attempts and they hit 5 of their 7 three point attempts in the second half, while holding he Westerwinds to 20 second half points and making them work hard, for the most part, for good shots.

Comment

Lord was a transfer from SWMO and just became eligible. I can only imagine how mightily they struggled without her 6'4" frame to block the middle. While still not all that good, they are not a 1-9 team with her addition.

Another step forward for the Lady Shocks..... 7-3, who'da thunk it?

Comment

#50 Ashley Lord, who pulled down 15 rebounds today, is a 6'4" Sophomore from Moran, Kansas. She transferred to WIU from Missouri State. Moran is about 10 miles east of Iola at the intersection of US 54 and US 59.

She is a strong presence in the middle and also does a good job of kicking the ball back out to WIU's shooters as she also had 5 assists in the game to only 2 turnovers.

Her offensive game needs some work, but she looks like a good solid player in the post.

Comment

Another bit of trivia. Western Illinois men's team's are called the Leathernecks.

Not the most attractive moniker for the Women's teams, hence the Women are Called the Westerwinds.

Not sure how many other teams use different team names for their Men's and Women's programs. Probably some that should, but don't.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
            7-3, who'da thunk it?
            Actually Doc, 10 of the 11 participants in the prediction contest had the Shocks going 7-4 or 8-3 in the non-conference portion of the schedule, due mostly to the weakness of the schedule and preponderance of home games.

Shocks SOS is ranked 323 out of 339 teams by realtimerpi.com. Even when we win our RPI tends to move higher. For example, I think we went from 208 to 214 after today's win.

Nevertheless, their is a sense that the Shocks are playing harder and better than they have in the past.

The upcoming game with the Mercer Bears currently with an RPI of 89 could help if the Shocks can win that game.

I think it is a winnable game, but will be one of top 3 opponents on our non-conference schedule, perhaps comparable to Kent State and Oral Roberts. A good game to close out he non-conference portion of the schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
              Not sure how many other teams use different team names for their Men's and Women's programs. Probably some that should, but don't.
              I know Centenary is one
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

One final bit of trivia from today's game.

#33 of Western Illinois is in the running for longest surname of the year award: Anne Borgertpoepping (15 letters).

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                  Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                  I know Centenary is one
                  Yeah, that definitely makes sense! :)

Comment

I am out of town and did not see the game. I noticed in the boxscore that Val's minutes were down. Any particular reason? Matchup issue? Giving the bench more minutes? And did Daria score with quickness and layups or jumpers or putbacks? When she plays to her strengths offensively, she can be a real force.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose
                      I am out of town and did not see the game. I noticed in the boxscore that Val's minutes were down. Any particular reason? Matchup issue? Giving the bench more minutes? And did Daria score with quickness and layups or jumpers or putbacks? When she plays to her strengths offensively, she can be a real force.
                      Daria scored many different ways. One coast-to-coast layup after a steal, a layup on a nice feed from Marisah, a layup on a drive to the hoop, a couple of free throws and a couple of mid-range jumpers from free throw line area and a couple of nice lean-back baseline jumpers over WIU's 6'4" center. She was as good and as confident as I have ever seen her offensively.

I think Val may have had a couple of defensive lapses, plus Haleigh was playing terrific defense. Also, I think it was Val that ran into a bone-jarring screen in the 2nd half and I'm not sure how that may have effected her PT the rest of the game.

Once we got the big lead, I think Jody tried to rest some of the starters as Daria did not play the last 5 minutes of the game.

Comment

The X Files Special Edition

The X-Files is a Peabody, Golden Globe and Emmy Award-winning American science fiction television series, created by Chris Carter, which first aired in 1993 and ended in 2002. The show was a hit for the Fox network, and its characters and slogans (e.g., "The Truth Is Out There", "Trust No One", "I Want to Believe") became pop culture touchstones in the 1990s. Seen as a defining series of its era, The X-Files tapped into public mistrust of governments and large institutions, and embraced conspiracy theories and spirituality, as it centered on efforts to uncover the existence of extraterrestrial life. The series has also spawned two theatrical movies (Fight The Future, I Want To Believe), and a spin-off series (The Lone Gunmen).

In the series, FBI agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) are the investigators of "X-Files": marginalized, unsolved cases involving paranormal phenomena. Mulder is a "believer" in the existence of aliens and the paranormal, while Scully, a skeptic, is assigned by powerful forces to debunk and control Mulder's unorthodox work. The X Files Special Edition Seasons 1 to 9 ,In fact, early in the series both agents turn into pawns in a larger conflict (termed the "mythology" or "mytharc" by the producers), and come to trust only each other, a close relationship which was interpreted by viewers as either platonic or romantic.[3] As a counterpart to the long-term story arc, "monster of the week" episodes, ranging in tone from horror to comedy, made up roughly two-thirds of the series. In such stand-alone X-Files episodes, Mulder and Scully investigated bizarre crimes with fewer long-term implications on the storyline.

Comment

Working...
                        X