Lady Shocks vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff

Shocks with a pretty good showig today defeating UAPB 73-60.

UAPB was actually a little better than I was expecting. They were not real big, but they had some good athleticism and they were more disciplined then they have been in the past. They did lack a perimeter game lthough.

Marisah Henderson had an outstanding floor game with 12 assists and only 1 turnover and the diminuitve 5'2" guard also grabbed 9 rebounds and chipped in 7 points.

Marcy Sudbeck had another double-double with 16 poitns and 11 rebounds. 14 of Marcy's points came in the second half.

Val Siemens and Daria Frazier also had good games with 15 and 13 points respectively.

Shocks had maybe their best half of the year in the 1st half taking a 39-19 lead before allowing UAPB to close the half on a 6-0 run making it 39-25 at halftime. Val Siemens was particularly good offensively in the first half.

UAPB did concentrate on shutting down Val in the second half, but Marcy and Daria stepped in to provide the needed offense.

Shocks stretched the lead back to 20 before UAPB made a run to close to 7 points around the 6 or 7 minute mark of the 2nd half. Marcy made a big shot, was fouled and made the free throw to get the lead back to 10. Daria also had a very tough rebound and two nice jumpers to push the lead back to 14 and the Shockers closed out the game from their.

Did not get a whole lot out of the bench today offensively, although they held their own otherwise.

Shocks move to 6-2 on the season with Kent State up next.

:clap: :goshocks: :good:

Much better than I would have done, '72. :)

I noticed we played zone a couple of trips down the court in the first half, and Coach Adams made a comment to an official about a call. Both of those were firsts for me. :)

Coach Adams pointed out in the post-game show that we did not function particularly well when Marisa and Marcy were not on the floor. Marcy has to stay out of foul trouble, and the bench has to develop more as the Valley approaches.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose
      Much better than I would have done, '72. :)

I noticed we played zone a couple of trips down the court in the first half, and Coach Adams made a comment to an official about a call. Both of those were firsts for me. :)

Coach Adams pointed out in the post-game show that we did not function particularly well when Marisa and Marcy were not on the floor. Marcy has to stay out of foul trouble, and the bench has to develop more as the Valley approaches.
      Yep, I notice the zone too. With our short bench we may need the zone in games where foul trouble is a problem.

The offense definitely boggs down when Marisah is not at the helm.

Marcy got her double-double in 23 minutes so she was quite productive, but as flyingMoose noted we need her on the floor.

Comment

thoughts....

thoughts on the game, as it was my first in person, this year:
        1.we are not overly talented, but we play hard..
        2.we are not overly fast, but somewhat quick...
        3.marcy HAS improved a lot...
        4.henderson IS the spark...
        5.val can shoot...and needs to....
        6.uapb was not bad...the chunky(ok, not PC) LEFTY HAD A SWEET STROKE, AND THEY WON THE SECOND HALF...
        7.val's tan reminds me of the cheney girls from years' past...
        8.jody's coat was too small...
        9.since i was late ,i was treated to the play by play guy...he is topnotch!

there ya go.... :posterwsu:

Comment

Re: thoughts....

Originally posted by molly jabali
          I thought it was just the current style. My suit coat seems to be too small, but I don't think it has anything to do with style.

Yeah, he has that "radio voice" and does a nice job of describing the play. However, he and Jody have not developed a rhythm for the post-game show - it is pretty bland, not particularly enlightening. I have not tried the Tuesday night show yet - it may be better.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
            With our short bench we may need the zone in games where foul trouble is a problem.
            Agreed. I assumed that is why we were playing it today - but then it was just for three or so trips total.

Comment

thoughts on the game, as it was my first in person, this year:
              1.we are not overly talented, but we play hard..
              2.we are not overly fast, but somewhat quick...
              4.henderson IS the spark...
              6.uapb was not bad...the chunky(ok, not PC) LEFTY HAD A SWEET STROKE, AND THEY WON THE SECOND HALF...
              7.val's tan reminds me of the cheney girls from years' past...

there ya go.... :posterwsu:
              1. We're not very talented at all.....but we play REALLY hard.
              2. Agree
              3. A ton
              4. Not only that, but I think she is just plain real good.
              5. Yes, and much more.
              6. Not chunky, large and mouthy.
              7. She reminds me of heat.
              8. Jody coaches like I used to....that explains why she is so good.
              9. I agree.

Mike Kennedy and Dave Dahl commented how entertained they were at the previous games they attended. I have to agree...for the most part. When we let up, get tired or have to go too deep in the bench then it can get pretty darned brutal. I do applaud what they have accomplished already and I think the future is very, very bright.

Comment

Speaking of the post game show, I noticed we don't have player interviews.

I know the Ladies are quoted in the print media, so it is not like they are totally off limits.

Not sure what Jody's thinking is regarding post-game radio show interviews.

Comment

Okay, I will dive in with a couple of more reactions.

I think Marcy's rebounding has improved a lot, but I think her offense is much the same. But then I always thought she was a very nice finesse player around the basket and can pull you out with her little jumper. Offensively for Marcy, I think the big difference is someone who can get her the ball more consistently - and maybe the offense being run helps her out, too. Or, to disagree with myself, maybe she is doing a better job of getting herself open - I am not a skilled enough observer to know. :)

I agree that Val needs to shoot - but I don't think Val ever passes up a shot (and neither does Jadhon). She and the team just need to continue to work hard at getting her open. I should point out she did get at least one assist today - her first of the year? :)

Comment

val may have gotten the quickest yank ever...like 20 seconds into the second half...but she got back in soon!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                      Speaking of the post game show, I noticed we don't have player interviews.

I know the Ladies are quoted in the print media, so it is not like they are totally off limits.

Not sure what Jody's thinking is regarding post-game radio show interviews.
                      I have noticed that Jody is on the air very shortly after we get to the car, and we don't hang around after the game is over. I wondered if she was getting the show over quickly, so she could get back to the locker room and take care of business - and wants all of the girls there.

Comment

My opinions and nothing more.

I still don't agree with the talent thing, I think we have a lot of people who have talent, especially in specific areas, but the problem in the past has been the players were no more talented when leaving the program then they were when they showed up. Now we're gonna see people develop and play hard which will be interesting. I thought trufan made a very good post about the talent level when someone made a cuboard bare comment on a thread earlier this year.

Marcy has always been a very shooter, but in the past struggled with rebounding and has always struggled with turnovers. She also had Kiki and Wells in front of her until now.

Henderson is the difference between this years team and the last few years. She's a point guard who can shoot, has very good vision, works hard, good ballhandler, and, most importantly, is intelligent with her decisions. We've had parts and combinations of those traits for awhile, but not all of them in one.

Comment

I think we are playing better this year. However, I do have some reservations about the strength of our schedule.

Our six wins have come against teams with a combined record of 12-33 and and average RPI of 262. Our best win was over Iona who is 8-3 with an RPI of 119. Our other five wins come over teams with a combined 4 - 30 record and an average of RPI of 290.

The upcoming game with Kent State who is 5 - 1 with an RPI of 51 may give us our best gage yet as to how well we are playing and how competitive we might be in the MVC.

I think there is little question that Marisah Henderson is a key difference maker for this year's team.

Tickets for Wednesday are only $1 so maybe we can get a decent crowd out to support the Ladies.

Kent State travels to Vermont for a Sunday game before coming to Wichita on Wednesday. It will be their 5th consecutive road game, so we might catch them a little bit travel weary.

This would be a nice win for the Lady Shocks to get.

Comment

i'll stand by the talent statement, which is not intended as a slam, so much...not deep, not overly athletic, BUT playing hard....

i actually asked myself how a team like heights would do against wsu....sure, it would be a disparity, but heights MIGHT be better than some of the first opponents....

Comment

Speaking of the Heights women, they were ranked 20th in the nation according to USA Today after one game. With two more wins this past week, they could move up 1 or 2 spots since a couple of teams ahead of them lost.

USA TODAY Super 25 girls' basketball rankings

Comment

Working...
                              X