Shocker Hammer Thrower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Hammer Thrower

If you came into the Forida A&M game today from the South you may have noticed a young woman working out by herself on her hammer throws.

Needless, to say she was a very, very strong young lady.

I went up to the screen and said Hello to her. I said it looks like your throwing about 16 pounds. She said, that was correct. It was a training rig, but the actual hammer they throw in events is 8.8 pounds.

I asked her how far she would generally throw in competition. She told me her personal best was 209 feet.

I said how does that stack up in MVC competition. She said that distance was since she used up her college eligibility, but she is now working towards making the U.S. Olympic team.

I told her good luck, and I left. I'll tell you one thing though, she could flat out generate some serious power with her turn.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the young lady may have been Chandra Andrews:

In her final appearance at regional competition, senior Chandra Andrews made the most of it, winning the women's hammer throw to make her first trip to the NCAA National Championship meet.

Anyway, I would take her in my foxhole any day.

Chandra Andrews was a very successful thrower in the hammer for the women's track team at WSU.

She competed at the Olympic trials in 2008 in Eugene, OR in late June and ending up scratching (stepping over the foul line) on all 4 (I think?) throws and didn't get a mark in.

She is a great chance to make it far, and her work ethic is beyond imagineable. She throws in the dead of winter in the indoor throwing facility at Cessna and then throws all year long with Coach Hetzendorf (Throwing coach, also US olympic team trials competitor in the javelin)helping her out here and there with technique and so on.

Anyway, best of luck to Chandra as she continues her hard work!!

Comment

Working...
    X