Shox VS Flyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shox VS Flyers

Anyone going? I think I'm gonna go after church. Grab a little lunch and see what they look like in an actual game. I'm hopefull to see some improvement and hope for the future.

And hopefully Val looks good since I've been talking her up for quite some time now...
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Re: Shox VS Flyers

Originally posted by SubGod22
    .....And hopefully Val looks good since I've been talking her up for quite some time now...

I think there is little doubt of that. ;-)

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

I believe this team will exceed most peoples expectations. I have thought that since the day I met Jody. I know that's not saying much since we're picked to win about 5 games, but I really do think she is going to turn this thing around immediately.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

I'll be there. I think that Jane recruited girls with a lot of talent, but couldn't bring it out and have them perform as a team. I think Daria is one of the best athletes in the Valley. Hopefully it'll be an interesting year.

Comment

I'll be there. Need to complete the Shocker 4-bagger this weekend.

Volleyball + Volleyball + Women's BB + Men's BB

Anxious to see if Jody's influence on the team will be noticeable right out of the chute.

We're going to win some non-conference games I think because that portion of the schedule looks pretty weak. Maybe best for a team in transition.

Nice article about Jody by Bob Lutz in Sunday's Eagle:

As far as I am concerned the kids who stayed around and committed to work hard for this program are already winners in my book.

:goshocks:

Comment

Sadly I just remembered I won't be able to make it as I have a family event down in Ponca that I'd committed to.

I want first had accounts from you guys on what you saw and how you feel early on about this team.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I've never seen a time when Val DIDN'T look good in my opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by macshocker2004
              I've never seen a time when Val DIDN'T look good in my opinion...
              I agree... very easy on the eyes. :good: :good:

Val Siemens (31) Guard - As a Sophomore (Redshirt) in 2007-08:  Sat out season to fulfill NCAA transfer rules ... Named to the AD’s Honor Roll following
              SFL is back!

Comment

After watching the first half, they will no doubt win more than 5 games.
                In the fast lane

Comment

I'll be interested in reading post game comments from those in attendance. The women were impressive at least on the radio. A solid win by my standards.

:good: :good:
                  "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

didnt make it to game and wasnt able to listen on radio but just looked at box scores.... from the box scores still doesnt look like we have an inside scoring threat. Were Hoyt's shots good selection or just jacking up like last year?

Comment

How about Marisah Henderson? 6 pts. 7 boards, 7 assists 1 tunover. Pretty good number from the PG spot.

7-21 3FG is an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by ballerfan
                        didnt make it to game and wasnt able to listen on radio but just looked at box scores.... from the box scores still doesnt look like we have an inside scoring threat. Were Hoyt's shots good selection or just jacking up like last year?
                        That is a pretty good assessment ballerfan, although we had a lot of good looks. Granted it is only one game but it does look like we may struggle with our inside game on the offensive end.

It is hard to evaluate these games with these teams of former College players becuase you don't really know how much effort you get. I did think this Flyers team was better than the one we faced last year. They had decent size and some decent athletes.

Keeping in mind that it is only one game and difficult to assess the opponent here are my observations:

Shocks look like they can get after it on defense and I thought they really attacked the boards pretty well. I think we will remain somewhat challenged offensively as we only shot 33.8% from the field today. I would like to see us push the ball a little more to see if we can get more baskets in transition.

On the other hand the Shocks only turned the ball over 10 times vs 20 turnovers for the Flyers. Rarely saw anything like that during the Albright era.

Marisah Henderson is a definite step forward at point guard. She takes care of the ball, gets the offense moving and gets her teammates involved. She had 7 assists and 1 turnover in 34 minutes of play. She can hit the 3 if the defense sags off of her and she is very quick and pesky on the defensive end leading the Shocks with 3 steals.

Jacie has 6 assists but she also had 5 turnovers. She tried to force things on occassion which was reminiscent of last year, but still positive assist to turnvover ratios were few and far between the last couple of years.

We absolutely have to have more offensive production out of Marcy and Daria. They were a combined 3 of 21 with nothing attempted outside of about 8 feet. Hard to believe they won't improve on their offensive performance. On the plus side they both really battled on the Boards and played some tough defense.

Val Siemens looks capable of being a solid outside threat, although she was only 2 - 8 from behind the arc today.

Ashley Glidden looks like she will be a capable sub at the 4.

The two young ladies that surprised me the most were Haleigh Lankster and Jadhon Kerr. Halieigh, a true freshman is very fast and athletic and can really go to the boards for a guard. She scored 8 points in 16 minutes. Credit Coach Albright for recruiting Haleigh. Jadhon looked much improved over last year and showed a good shooting stroke knocking down 6 points in 11 minutes (and she had her sole trey attempt rim out on her).

I was a little disappointed in Samantha Smith. She only played 7 minutes. She just seemed a little lost out there tonight.

We may very well get to double figures in wins this year, if for no other reason our non-conference schedule is very weak.

Whether or not we can improve on our last place finish in the MVC remains to be seen.

Jody really was coaching her players. She spent quite a bit of time talking to indiviudal players whenever she pulled them from the game. Not sure she will do that in regular season play, but she was working hard tonight and from where I was sitting the teaching was constructive and not destructive.

No doubt the girls are giving it the very best they have to give. However, patience will be needed.

Attendance listed in box score at 1,075. Actual attendance in the 400 -500 range, if that.

Comment

Thanks for the play back of game! I do hope they are improved from last year! Having a true point guard is definately a step in the right direction! Time will tell if Jody is capable of getting her team to buy in and play as a team not as individual athletes, ( which in my opinion was a BIG problem of Albright era)
                          And yes I would agree the 4 & 5 spot HAVE to score more consistently in order to have any success in the Valley! If you cant score from inside it makes it alot easier to guard perimeter.

Comment

The Flyers played Oklahoma State yesterday afternoon. The Cowgirls pretty much ran the Flyers out of Stillwater winning 126-60.

I had not realized that the Flyers were playing there second game in about 24 hours. Just lends a little additional uncertainty as to what level of intensity the Flyers were able to bring to the court today.

Comment

ouch :(

Comment

Working...
                              X