Lady Shocks Drop 2 in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks Drop 2 in Canada

The Lady Shockers dropped both of their games Saturday losing in the morning to College of Fraser Valley 66-60 and losing the nightcap to the University of British Columbia by a score of 77-64.

In the nightcap the Shockers fell behind by a score of 25-8 at the end of the 1st quarter and were never able to recover.

By comparison the University of Arkansas defeated UBC yesterday by a score of 69-42.

Not sure it is a real apples to apples comparison as the Shockers may have been a little leg weary against UBC, which was their 2nd game of the day and 3rd game in two days.

Nevertheless, they went 1-2 on the trip (they defeated Trinity Western 59-51 on Saturday). Not sure what, if anything, to make of this weekend's results. My concerns about the upcoming season remain.

I too have my concerns, although if there is going to be any benefit in the assistant coaching changes, it may take some time (especially with the most recent hire).
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I have no faith in Jane and am expecting the same results as the past years.

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
        Unfortunately, I think many feel the same, including me. JS just needs to pull the plug while there is some support still left. Another year like last year and keeping Jane would doom this program to the point they would lose alot of what little support thy have.

Comment

I heard that Jane is afraid of hurting the players' feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
            I heard that Jane is afraid of hurting the players' feelings.
            Something that Smith wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
              :yes:
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Snapshot--I don't know where you got your information on the coach being afraid to "hurt the players' feelings", but there is substantial evidence to the contrary. While she appears to be even-keeled and opposed to be ing abusive of players, it is common knowledge that she definitely lets them know when they haven't made appropriate effort, for example. In fact, last spring, there was a thread on here that indicated that some players felt that she was TOO HARD on them and would correct them in team meetings instead of in private. I, personally don't think that calling a player out during a team meeting is being too hard on them. By the same token, the fact that she apparently does that, means that we don't have to worry about her being afraid to hurt players' feelings.

Hoping for a nice "turnaround" season. Looks like the Freshmen may help immediately, but i guess time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by trufan
                  Hoping for a nice "turnaround" season. Looks like the Freshmen may help immediately, but i guess time will tell.
                  I'm hopeful too, sadly mark me in the cautious pessimistic crowd. But I'm not quite a Team B or is it Team A, which is for regime change I can't remember???
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by trufan
                    Snapshot--I don't know where you got your information on the coach being afraid to "hurt the players' feelings", but there is substantial evidence to the contrary. While she appears to be even-keeled and opposed to be ing abusive of players, it is common knowledge that she definitely lets them know when they haven't made appropriate effort, for example. In fact, last spring, there was a thread on here that indicated that some players felt that she was TOO HARD on them and would correct them in team meetings instead of in private. I, personally don't think that calling a player out during a team meeting is being too hard on them. By the same token, the fact that she apparently does that, means that we don't have to worry about her being afraid to hurt players' feelings.

Actually, that information came from 3 sources on 2 different levels.

When you were in trouble in High School, who struck more fear into you, your mother or your father? I don't know abut you, but I was a lot more scared of being in trouble with my Dad than my Mom.

Women relate differently than Men do, and what might be called out for a woman would be considered mild for a man.

At that age, players don't 'feel' the positives until they have experienced the 'negatives'. Whatever, she is just not getting it done, and I don't have a lot of hope.

Comment

From Today's Eagle:

Vancouver revisited -- WSU went 1-2 on its women's basketball exhibition tour last weekend.

That doesn't seem like a good sign.

The Shockers dropped games to the University of British Columbia (77-64) and the University College of Fraser Valley (66-60). Arkansas and New Mexico State handled those teams easily in their exhibitions.

The competition in Vancouver, however, looks respectable. Simon Fraser defeated both Arkansas and New Mexico State. All four schools are members of the same governing body in Canada.

Regardless of the outcomes, WSU assistant Erika Lang-Montgomery said the trip will help when the Shockers start practice again on Oct. 12. Coaches looked at a lot of players and a lot of lineup combinations in Vancouver.

"We're putting in a new defensive system, and they had 10 days to work on it," she said. "Our defense is going to continue to improve."

WSU coaches spread out playing time, even in the defeats. Twelve Shockers played 11 or more minutes against British Columbia.

"We wanted to give everybody an equal opportunity to see what they could do," Lang-Montgomery said. "Our kids learned a lot."

Comment

Working...
                      X