WSU Sets Bar High Early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Sets Bar High Early

Good article before the weekend.....until you get to the end.

I understand that walk up will provide a lot of the sales for this weekend but only 1000+ tickets sold for the KSU game so far? Only 600+ season tickets?

Hell, 316, 1972 and myself account for the majority of that number......Obviously our pleas are falling on deaf ears. Remember these days folks when you want to complain that the overall sports program is fading or Lambo leaves........If you are a WSU fan you have no excuse not to support them at least this weekend.

That paragragh has killed my enthusiasm for the weekend. Edit: Killed is a poor use of wordage. Dampened would better describe my feelings. Hopefully more fans will show up and support this great group of student athletes.

:-x

My goal is to encourage at least 20 people to attend VB this weekend. Maybe everyone can encourage people to attend??? :good: :clap:
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

People need to get out and come they really are alot of fun to watch!! :goshocks:

Comment

Did the athletic dept. publicize the buy-1-get-1-free promotion? The only place I've seen it is at GoShockers.com.

Advance ticket sales does seem slow for this match. However, in years past hasn't attendance started slow and picked up as the season progressed?

Comment

Re: WSU Sets Bar High Early

Originally posted by WuDrWu
          http://www.kansas.com/250/story/155473.html

Good article before the weekend.....until you get to the end.

I understand that walk up will provide a lot of the sales for this weekend but only 1000+ tickets sold for the KSU game so far? Only 600+ season tickets?

Hell, 316, 1972 and myself account for the majority of that number......Obviously our pleas are falling on deaf ears. Remember these days folks when you want to complain that the overall sports program is fading or Lambo leaves........If you are a WSU fan you have no excuse not to support them at least this weekend.

That paragragh has killed my enthusiasm for the weekend. Edit: Killed is a poor use of wordage. Dampened would better describe my feelings. Hopefully more fans will show up and support this great group of student athletes.

Doc, I think it was to be expected that the season ticket sales would fall off. Last year they had a SALE on season tickets at $29 each. This year I paid $55 per ticket. While $55 is still a great entertainment value, it is a significant increase from last year's sale.

I have to admit that I seriously considered only renewing 2 of my 4 season tickets at this year's $55 price. However, I decided to renew all 4 season tickets for some of the reasons you state. Plus I enjoy taking 1st timers to the matches and seeing their reactions which has always been WOW, that was entertaining and fun. They are also very surprised at the level of athleticism and competitiveness.

One of the problems with VB is the scheduling. With the majority of matches back-to-back on Friday's and Saturday's a lot of people don't want to take that much time out of their weekends. We are up against high school football on Friday nights and college football on Saturday. I do wonder if maybe they should bring back the 10 admission punch cards at $40.

No doubt they will run a bunch of promotions during the year.

I figure that by supporting some of the minor sports like VB, Women's BB and Softball I am also supporting our two main sports Basketball and Baseball. Every dollar in tickets sales and financial support to these minor sports is $1 less needed from the big revenue sports.

I plan on joining the VB Match Club this year. Still trying to figure out what level of membership I can afford.

As far as beating the drum for VB attendance on ShockerNet, it probably helps a little, but to some degree we are preaching to the choir. Also I'm not sure whether ShockerNet really reaches a broad enough audience to have a major impact on attendance. Exposure like the spot on Channel 12 sports last night probably has a much greater effect since they reach a much wider audience.

I think we may have pretty much reached our saturation point for VB attendance and that we will settle into average attendance of 1,500 to 2,000 per game depending on the success of the team. To grow this attendance base probably will take a decent run in the NCAA tournament.
          Hope Shocker fans prove me wrong here, but time will tell.

I do think we will have a good attendance at the K-State match, although that may cannibalize some of the attendance from the North Texas and Cal Ploy matches.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Visitiing with an asst. who said the ath. dept. is providing free pizza for the students, this should jack the numbers up...and the noise!

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker
              Visitiing with an asst. who said the ath. dept. is providing free pizza for the students, this should jack the numbers up...and the noise!
              For all three games this weekend or just for the KSU game?
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I will definitely make it out for my first VB game this weekend!
                Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Weekend Volleyball Promotions
                  The highly anticipated game versus in-state foe KSU marks the Wildcat’s first trip to Wichita since 1995 and we hope to welcome them with a record crowd. The August 25 match features 2-for-1 tickets and a T-shirt giveaway for the first 2,000 fans. Following Sunday's match versus Cal Poly, come out and meet your favoirte Shocker Volleyball players as the team will be holding an autograph session in the main concousre.

Rockin' the Roundhouse 2007
                  Rockin’ the Roundhouse is a premier event for Wichita State University which features an assortment of Wichita’s best food, a variety of live music, games, unique silent and live auction items all in the festive environment of the Charles Koch Arena complex. All proceeds benefit athletic and university scholarships.

For more information, go to www.RnRwsu.com

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker
                    I think they did that for a match last year, without a great deal of response, unfortunately. Hopefully, it will work better this year.

Note to All WSU Students - Admission is FREE with your Student ID.l

Shocker Maniacs earn double reward points for attendance at Volleyball matches.

Pizza, or no Pizza, there is no reason not to have 500 students or more in attendance at each and every VB match.

:goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by Smooth007
                      I will definitely make it out for my first VB game this weekend!
                      I think you will definitely enjoy it. Of course, it will be much more enjoyable if the Shockers win.

I would like to hear back from you after you attend a match to get a report on your experience (good or bad), although I am only expecting to here mostly good things.

:goshocks:

Comment

Re: WSU Sets Bar High Early

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                        Doc, don't let it get you down. You can only do what you can do, and that is support the team to the best of your ability and go out and have a good time. Whatever else happens is pretty much beyond your control.

I for one enjoy your enthusiam for all things Shocker.

I think you will feel much better once you get out to the arena Friday evening. I am really looking forward to an enjoyable time.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

If you want to complain, WuDrWu, look at http://www.kansas.com/news/story/154608.html, which begins "One of the sources of our inferiority complex in Wichita is the notion that our young people leave town after high school, especially all the brainy scholars." :-x

Comment

I think that the numbers for the K-State match will break attendance records. I have more people talking about the match than at any others. Several people attending the "Evening with Coach Marshall" were going to go to the match. Most will buy the tickets at the gate. But, I too was saddened by the low season ticket sales. Hopefully, if they do well this weekend, the word will get out and sales will go up. See you all there. Go SHOX!!!!

Comment

I would agree with the disappointment regarding the overall season ticket totals - yet I expect a big turnout this weekend, just based upon the number of individuals that I have spoken too that rarely attend yet have indicated they plan to be there this weekend. Plus, I would expect the students to be well represented which could really increase the numbers.

In addition to everyone talking up VB to their friends....how about encouraging them to also consider attending the cross country meet next Saturday morning to support the Shocks! The women have been dominating in XC the past several years and the men are improving....it would be nice to see some support and recongition of their efforts by having a decent group of supporters at their only home XC meet of the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X