2017 Women's Basketball Preseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Women's Basketball Preseason Thread

HC Keitha Adams holds her first full practice with a focus on defense.

Less then a month to go before the Shocks 1st exhibition game on November 1st against Oklahoma Baptist.

"We got in a lot of teaching and we have a lot to learn," Adams said. "We're going to have to have a lot of patience. It's not going to look like a well-oiled machine right off the bat."

Looks like HCKA has snuck another player onto the roster.

Khady Sene is a 6-1, So. forward from Senegal.

That is about all I can tell you about her. That gives HCKA a roster of 15 players this year increasing the liklihood of a redshirt I would think.

Comment

The Lady Shocks will host NAIA Oklahoma Baptist on Wednesday, November 1st at 7:00 pm. Not sure OBU, who is picked to finish 9th in the 12-team Great American Conference this year, will probably not provide too much of a challenge for the Lady Shockers. Perhaps that is what this team needs at this point with a new coach and a new system. Not sure we will find out a whole lot about the Lady Shocks with this game.

Correction: I believe that Oklahoma Baptist is a NCAA D-II program.
      WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita State unofficially opens the 2017-18 season with an exhibition contest vs. Oklahoma Baptist Wednesday night in Charles Koch Arena at 7 p.m.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 1, 2017, 11:34 AM.

Comment

The Shockers scrimmaged Friday and ...the men's team that played against them repeatedly pushed the ball for easy baskets.

Hopefully, the Shocks will get this worked out. You really don't want to take on the likes of Oklahoma State, Tennesse, UConn and USF with poor transition defense.
        Wichita State's women's basketball team opens the coach Keitha Adams era with exhibition games on Wednesday and Saturday against NCAA Division II schools. The Shockers play Oklahoma Baptist at 7 p.m. Wednesday and Southwest Baptist at 1 p.m. Saturday.

Comment

AMES, Iowa – Sophomore guard Sofija Živaljevic' is transferring from the Iowa State women's basketball program, head coach Bill Fennelly announced Tuesday.

Hope that Coach Adams goes after this young lady, our ties to Europe could help land her imo

Comment

Shocks 65 - OBU 54

Not the most impressive of efforts by the Lady Shocks. Pretty inconsistent. Angiee Tompkins and Raven Prince did not suit up. Injuries I assume. How much of a difference having them available would have made is hard to say. I'm sure Fr. Alyssia Faye would not have played nearly as much. Still not seeing much evidence that this team will be able to knock down shot consistently. Coach Keitha has her work cut out for her.ere

Interesting post player OBU had coming off the bench for short stints. That was very large young lady.

Comment

Paul Suellentrip reports on the Oklahoma Baptist game.

Comment

Jaleesa Chapel only played 4 minutes in the OBU exhibition game and did not play a whole lot at Shocker Madness either. Not sure if she is just very rusty after missing last year with an ACL tear, surgery and recovery or if she just is not all the way back from that injury.

With Angiie Tompkins and Raven Prince sitting at the end of the bench in street clothes and Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage plagued by foul trouble Rangie played 31 minutes and Freshman post Alyssia Faye from France played 19 minutes. Rangie was okay for the most part although she did bank in her first two shots. A 3-pointer and a 17 footer from straight away. And she was only 1-4 from the line which is a bit uncharacteristic for her. As a team the Shocks only hit 9-18 from the line. Faye was bashful but she wasn't successful either. She was only 1-8 from the field although she did make 4 of 6 free throw attempts so she has some touch when unguarded. Alyssia also grabbed 8 rebounds. Fellow freshman big Asia Henderson only played 5 minutes missing all 3 of her shots and definitely looks like a redshirt candidate. Our Swedish freshman Fanny Hakkansan only played a few minutes at the end of the game. Made 1 nice pass but may not be D-1 ready on the defensive end. Juco transfer Cesaria Ambroisa looks like she is a pretty good defender but not much of a scorer.

Sr. Tamara Lee also wasn't basful nor successful. She was 2 of 10 from the field and 0-6 from behind the arc. Sr.Diamond Lockhart probably had the best game of the guards. With the exception of Ceasaria and Jaleesa who may or may not be able to contribute much this year we are pretty small at the guards position and a definitely vulnerable to teams with bigger guards exploiting that when we are on defense.

The Shocks got of to a decent start offensively getting to the basket petty easily. However, once OBU went to a zone defense the Shocks struggled a bit. I'm thinking the Shocks will see a lot of zone this year.

It will be interesting to see if having Angiee and Raven available will make much difference. Not sure what the story is with them. Injury or discipline?

Comment

The Lady Shocks were a bit better in exhibition game number 2 as they defeated D-II Southwest Baptist out of Bolivar, MO who is picked to finish 9th in the MAIA 82-64. I thought SBU was a better team than the Shocks faced in the OBU team the Shocks faced in their first exhibition game. SBU lost to #16 Mizzou 77-55 on Thursday. Having Angiee Tompkins available did help as she chipped in 15 points and 6 rebounds in 18 minutes of action. With Angiee back Fr. Asia Henderson did not see the floor which probably points to a redshirt for her. Raven Prince did not suit up again.

The Shocks shot better this game hitting 48% of their shots largely because of getting the ball inside. The also improved their FT shooting from 50% in the first exhibition to 70% in this game. However, the were only 2-10 on 3-pointers. Perimeter shooting does not look like it will be a strength for this team.

The Shocks turned the ball over 17 times but forced SBU into 27 turnovers.

Rangie Bessard lead the Shocks in scoring with 26 points on 12-21 shooting in 28 minutes of play.

Still a lot of work to do with this program but thought I saw some improvement in this game vs the 1st exhibition game.

Comment

The only addition is that SBU could have made the game a lot closer by playing lot more zone than they did - maybe you said the same thing with your comment about perimeter shooting. I think they played roughly two minutes of zone towards the end of each quarter.

Comment

Paul Suellentrop's Roundhouse Report on the SBU game.

Comment

There is one down, waiting on the young lady from Michigan now

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                          https://twitter.com/jadapeacockkk/st...97982700728320

There is one down, waiting on the young lady from Michigan now
                          mumdaddy316, please put your posts about recruiting on the 2018 Lady Shockers Recruiting thread, a thread that you started!

If I want to keep up on recruiting and you slap a post on the latest WBB thread, then it is nearly impossible to keep up to date. Over time, posts about recruits may appear on any of half-dozen threads depending upon the timing of the information.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Will it be worth my time on Friday to take half a day off and go watch the Shockers Play at Creighton? Tickets are only $8 and I have plenty of time to use but will the ladies compete and make a game out of it!

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                              Will it be worth my time on Friday to take half a day off and go watch the Shockers Play at Creighton? Tickets are only $8 and I have plenty of time to use but will the ladies compete and make a game out of it!
                              I will leave it up to you to determine whether or not it's worth your time. This not a game I expect the Shocks to win. Creighton is picked to finish 4th in the Big East. The Shocks are picked to finish 10th in the AAC.

I have seen both of the Shockers exhibition games and the brief Shocker Madness scrimmage. My take at this point is HCKA has a multi-year rebuilding job on her hands. think getting this program turned around and moving in the right direction will take some patience. One thing HCKA doesn't have to worry too much about is a declining fan base. The support fo the WSU women's basketball program is currently pretty tepid at best.

Comment

Working...
                              X