2017 Shocker Fall Softball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Shocker Fall Softball

Since the 2017 Fall Softball Schedule is out thought I would go ahead and start a thread to discuss the Shocks prospects for the 2018 spring season and provide a place to discuss the fall performances.

My early thoughts about this coming season:

The Shocks are pretty much set at Catcher (Madison Perrigan), Shortstop (Laurie Derrico), Third Base (Mackenzie Wright) and Right Field (Paige Luellen). I suppose the Second Base position is Mauriana Jamele's to lose but not sure she is a lock to do that.

That leaves First Base, Left Field, Center Field and the all-important pitching staff wide open. The incoming freshman class may have a say in who fills these positions and roles.

I look for Fr. Neleigh Herring to be in the mix to start at 1st base and fellow Frosh Bailee Nickerson and McKenzie Weber to be in the mix to fill the CF and LF spots.

The only returning pitcher the Shockers have is So. lefty Bailey Klitzke who struggled a bit last year and whose role diminished as the year progressed (and Jenni Brooks got healthier) Bailey only pitched 37.1 innings in 2017. She had a 3.94 ERA and a 1.94 WHIP. Bailey will need to step up her game and hopefully she will but that remains to be seen.

Jr. Bailey Lange, the UNI transfer and also a lefty, pitched 83.0 innings for UNI as a sophomore and 65.0 innings as a Freshman. Both years she was the #3 on they UNI staff. She had a 3.45 ERA and a 1.63 WHIP as a Freshman and a 3.80 ERA and a 1.71 ERA. I have included free passes due to both walks and hit by pitches in my WHIP number. Bailey hit 14 batters as freshman and 18 as a sophomore. She walked 72 batters and hit 32 batters in her two years at UNI. She hit the same number of batters in her 83 innings last year as the entire Shocker staff hit in 348.2 innings last year.

While Bailey and Bailey are the only pitchers we have with D-1 expereince I'm not confident they can be relied on to carry the pitching load. I think we are going to need a couple of the freshmen pitchers step up if the Shocks are going to have much success this coming season.

Based on the profiles and comments given when they were signed RHP Caitlyn Bingham and RHP Hailey Martinez are perhaps the two primary candidates. Caitlyn, from Tecumseh, OK, was described as high-powered pitcher who commited to Wichita State as a freshman in high school. HCKB said Catilyn's arm and bat can be difference maker for the Shocks. Hailey from Inver Grove Heights, MN, was described as a pitcher with a mature demeanor that will spin the ball and understands her strenghts as a pitcher and has the potential to keep batter's off balance. I suppose the hope is Caightlyn will grow into the Katie Malone role and Hailey will grow into the Jenni Brooks role. That may happen over time but to what to degree it might happen in their 1st year is hard to say.

Also Fr. Neleigh Herring, listed as a RHP/1B, and Fr. McKenzie Weber, listed as a RHP/OF, may well get some time in the circle this fall to see what they can do.

Suffice it to say the Shocks have a challenge to replace Katie Malone, Jenni Brooks, Kelli Spring, Mckenzie Adams, Ashley Johnson and Macklin Hitz. This makes this fall season a bit more intriguing than usual IMO.

It is hard to be terribly optimistic with facing a total rebuild of the pitching staff and the loss of several key offensive pieces so I am keeping my expectations at this point quite modest for this coming inaugural season in the American Conference.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 8, 2017, 02:11 PM.

Some very brief video of incoming Shocker Freshman pitcher Hailey Martinez in action this past spring:

http://kstp.com/sports/tria-athletes...620/?cat=10564

Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 12, 2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Some very brief video of incoming Shocker Freshman pitcher Hailey Martinez in action this past spring:

http://kstp.com/sports/tria-athletes...620/?cat=10564

In the video, a nice change and then two drops.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
        In the video, a nice change and then two drops.
        Two well placed drops on the outer edge. HCKB had described her as a spinner.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Two well placed drops on the outer edge. HCKB had described her as a spinner.
          Yes, they both had a lot of movement. In college, they will have to be lower than those though.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            Yes, they both had a lot of movement. In college, they will have to be lower than those though.
            The 2nd of the 3 pitches was definitely up. The other 2 look well located to me. That will probably be stressed to her. Hard to tell too much from 3 pitches on highlight clip. It will be interesting to see if she can get D-1 hitters out consistently with movement and placement.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 14, 2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Nice article on Shocker recruit Neleigh Herring out of Chandler, Oklahoma (about 20 mile east if I-35 on I-44).

http://newsok.com/article/5528578

I have no idea if the MaxPreps rankings are worth anything but they have Neleigh ranked #2 in Oklahoma and #10 Nationally which I assume is at 1B.

Comment

Interesting that Bailee Nickerson will be playing OF for the Shocks.

2016-17
                1A-2A-3A-4A Athlete of the Year
                Bailee Nickerson
                North Lamar High School
                Coach Jimmy Fendley

Comment

I guess it beats writing your name with a Sharpie and re-lacing with a shoestring. Those are sharp looking.

Kristi Bredbenner‏ @CoachBredbenner 4 hours ago

New year, new gloves. @GoShockersSB gloves from @RawlingsSB looking sharp!

Comment

The Shocks opened their fall season with a 10 inning 17-2 win over Hutch Juco. The game really got out of hand in the bottom of the 9th when the Shock scored 9 runs.

The Shocks had 15 hits in 9 at bats including a home run by Laurie Derrico.

Perhaps the most encouraging thing was that Freshman pitchers Hailey Martinez and Caitlin Bingham combined to pitch 8 innings while giving up only 3 hits and 1 run. However, I have no idea what kind of talent Hutch brings to bear on offense.

So. Bailey Klitzke allowed 2 hits and 1 run in two innings of work.

Comment

The Shocks took on Crowder Junior College out of Neosho, Missouri just south of Joplin. I had planned on a stop in Neosho while traveling to SW Missouri and NW Arkansas a couple of years back to visit the National Fish Hatchery there but the weather didn't cooperate.

Anyway the Shocks and Roughriders played a 10 inning game (as they did on Saturday against Hutch) with the Shocks prevailing 9-3.

The Shocks had 14 hits including home runs by Ryleigh Buck and Asea Webber. Mackenzie Wright added a couple of stolen bases. The Shockers only struck out 3 times. Bailey Lange, Neleigh Herring and Kaylee Huecker each had 2 hits for the Shocks.

Each team had 2 errors and each pitching staff walked 4 batters. Not terrible for a 10 inning game.

Bailey Lange, the transfer from Northern Iowa, started in the circle for the Shocks and pitched 4 innings of scoreless ball allowing only 1 hit while striking out 8 and only walking 1. Freshman Neleigh Herring, Caitlyn Bingham and Hailey Martinez each pitched 2 innings. Neleigh gave up 3 hits and 1 run, Caitlyn gave up 1 hit, 2 walks and 1 run and Hailey allowed 2 hits, walked 1 and allowed 1 run. The 3 relievers combined to strike out 5 in their 6 innings of work.

So far it looks like Ryleigh Buck and Kaylee Huecker are splitting the playing time at second base. Mauriana Jamele was not in the box score for the Hutch game. She played CF while Bailey Lange pitched but did not get an at bat. Looks like Neleigh Herring hit in her place as the DP and Bailey hit for herself and played CF when she wasn't pitching.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 18, 2017, 12:38 AM.

Comment

WSU 7; Seminole State 1

The game today lasted 9 innings which gave both teams a chance to play a lot of players. The Shox used 4 pitchers (Bailey Lange, 2 ip; Caitlin Bingham, 3 ip with 1 ER; Hailey Martinez, 2 ip; & Bailey Klitzke, the left hander, 3 ip.

Laurie Derrico led a 12 hit attack with 3 hits. Ryleigh Buck had 2 hits including a HR & Cassidy Kelsheimer also went deep over the CF fence. Kaylee Huecker, who missed her frosh year with an injury, has had 2 hits in each of the 1st games & she also had a RBI today. Paige Luellen also had 2 hits today.

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                          The game today lasted 9 innings which gave both teams a chance to play a lot of players. The Shox used 4 pitchers (Bailey Lange, 2 ip; Caitlin Bingham, 3 ip with 1 ER; Hailey Martinez, 2 ip; & Bailey Klitzke, the left hander, 3 ip.

Laurie Derrico led a 12 hit attack with 3 hits. Ryleigh Buck had 2 hits including a HR & Cassidy Kelsheimer also went deep over the CF fence. Kaylee Huecker, who missed her frosh year with an injury, has had 2 hits in each of the 1st games & she also had a RBI today. Paige Luellen also had 2 hits today.
                          So far the unproven Shocker pitching corps has done a good job getting this level of competition out and not allowing too much scoring. I suppose I would best describe that as a bit of a relief but it remains to be seen how that will carryover against D-1 competition nex Spring. Nevertheless it's a good first step.

Sophomore Bailey Lange had her longest outing of the fall today going 4 scoreless innings. Altogether the 4 pitchers only allowed 1 earned run on 8 hits plus 4 walks while striking out 8 over 9 innings. Seminole State's only run came following a walk to lead off the game.

Comment

The Shocks continue to dominate lower level competition as they blasted the D-II Newman Jets today 17-0 while banging out 21 hits, including 3 home runs and 5 doubles and only allowing the Jets 2 singles over 10 innings of play.

Bailey Lange hit a 3-run dinger over the RF wall in the 3rd and Bailee Nickerson followed 4 batters later with a 2-out, 2-run blast over the left field fence to put the Shocks up 9-0. Madison Perrigan added a 2-run homer to LF in the 8th.

Laurie Derrico was 3 for 3 plus a walk from the lead off spot in the order, Paige Luellen was 3 for 4, Madison Perrigan 3 for 5, Kiersten Otte 3 for 3, Neleigh Herring 2 for 4 and Bailee Nickerson 2 for 3 to account for 16 of the Shocks 24 hits.

Bailey Klitzke (3 innings), Hailey Martinez (2 innings), Bailey Lange (3 innings) and Caitlin Bingham (2 innings) combined for 11 strike outs, 3 walks and 2 singles over 10 innings.

Even the Jets' 2 hits had a bit of a Shocker connection as both were by Andale Fr. Bailey Bugner. Bailey is the younger sister of Shocker Jr. pole vaulter, Hayden Bugner.

Apparently, a lot of good softball players are named Bailey or some variation thereof.

WICHITA, Kan. - Behind 21 hits and three home runs, the Wichita State softball team took down Newman University, 17-0, at Wilkins Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Comment

Cowley County (Friday at 5:00 pm) and Washburn (Sunday at 1:00 pm) at Wilkins Stadium this weekend.

Friday evening looks a bit iffy weaher-wise. Sunday afternoon looking nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X