Shocker SB at Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at Kansas

The Shockers play the Jayhawks Tuesday in Lawrence at 6pm for their mid-week game this week.

Kansas is 21-18 on the season and 3-6 in the Big 12. Among common opponents, KU lost to Watson and to Blevins for their two losses versus Tulsa whereas the Shocks beat Blevins twice for their two wins against Tulsa; they were run-ruled by LSU while the Shocks - ahh, we don't want to go there again. Both teams have wins over UMKC, the Shocker win being a runs-ahead win. In the Big 12, the Jayhawks lost all three games of their series against Oklahoma State (the Shockers lost a single game to the Cowgirls) and won two of three against Texas Tech (the Shockers split two games with the Red Raiders over two tournaments).

The offense of Kansas is led by Lily Behrmann (OPS of .965) and Jessie Roane (.922 and five homers). Harli Ridling and Taylor Dodson have six homers, and Erin McGinley has five, part of the team total of 31 homers. Alexis Reed has well over half of the starts and innings for the Jayhawks. Her ERA is 2.60 and WHIP is 1.41. Next-in-line Sarah Miller has numbers of 3.55 and 2.09.

Madison is now the offensive leader for the Shockers at 1.050 and eight homers . Laurie (.980 but in a bit of a slump and eight homers), Mackenzie (.959), Macklin (.931 and six homers) and Paige (.898 and seven homers) have the other big numbers for the Shocks who have 34 homers as a team.

Katie now has an ERA of 2.36 with a WHIP of 1.28. With two good outings over the weekend, Jenni's numbers are now 4.00 and 1.71. Perhaps she needed a break from the circle to work on things on the side.

This is clearly a winnable game for the Shockers. We shall see.

The teams with RPIs below 100 in the Valley are:
    Illinois State - 59
    Shockers - 65
    Northern Iowa - 84
    Bradley - 94
    Missouri State - 99

In the AAC, RPIs of interest are:
    Tulsa - 30
    UCF - 55
    USF - 56
    Memphis - 72

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      The teams with RPIs below 100 in the Valley are:
      Illinois State - 59
      Shockers - 65
      Northern Iowa - 84
      Bradley - 94
      Missouri State - 99

In the AAC, RPIs of interest are:
      Tulsa - 30
      UCF - 55
      USF - 56
      Memphis - 72
      First, this is not directed only at you. You simply reminded me of something I just don't understand.

Why do we use the terms higher and lower when referring to RPI? I mean, doesn't higher associate with better and lower not as good? Instead, we use low as in lower number (50 is a lesser/lower number than 100) not lower program.

Doesn't better or worse describe both the number and program: "The teams with RPIs better than 100 in the Valley are:"

I know. I'm nit-picking. In the case quoted, actual numbers are provided so everyone gets the point. However, I have seen these terms used without numbers and the context may make it a little questionable as to the posters meaning. Lower should mean lower rating, not lower number.

Sorry @flyingMoose:. You do a great job of posting.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        Why do we use the terms higher and lower when referring to RPI?
        Oh, I agree. Sometimes I think about wording it as you suggested (in fact strangely enough, I almost provided the parenthetical "lower is better" but decided not to - silly me), but more often my grade school math kicks in and I word as today. Like you said, anyone reading this understands, but it is backward.

Comment

Katie Malone gets the start for the Shockers. Alexis Reid has the start for Kansas.

Comment

2 walks and a 1 out single by Macklin Hitz produces a run for the Shocks in the top of the 2nd. Macklin took 2B on the throw in from the outfield. Cassidy Kelsheimer, in a rare start, comes through as the DP with an RBI single to CF scoring Mckenzie Adams from 3rd with Macklin moving up a base to 3rd. Ashely Johnson grounded out to 1B with Cassidy moving to 2nd and Macklin holding at 3rd. Mackenzie Wright then walked to load the bases for Kellin Spring. Kelli gets an infield single to 2B to move everyone up a base and put the Shocks up 3-0. Madison Perrigan grounds out to SS to end the Shocker 2nd.

Comment

Cassidy gets her 2nd hit of the game with a double leading off the Shocker 4th. Ashley sacrifices her over to 3rd. McKenzie Wright follows with an RBI single to left field to put the Shocks up 4-0.

Comment

Katie loses her no hit bid in the bottom of the 5th on a lead off single back to her (either a bunt, a slap or a swinging bunt perhaps). That runner was immiediately errased in a double playe when the next batter lined out to Macklin at 1B. Katie only threw 5 pitches in the 5th.

Comment

Mackenzie Wright adds to the Shocker advantage with a 1-out solo home run to left field in the 6th.

Shocks lead 5-0.

Comment

Katie gives up a lead off infield single and a 2-out single up the middle but gets a strike out to keep the shutout intact.

Comment

Macklin Hitz followed a 1-out single to CF by Mckenzie Adams with a RBI double to LF but Macklin was thrown out trying to go to 3rd on the throw home that was cut off by the 1B who threw Macklin out at 3B.

Shocks ups their lead to 6-0 with 3 outs to go.

HCKB is bringing in Jenni to pitch the 7th inning.

Jenni gives up a 1-out 4-pitch walk but gets a 6-4-3 double play to end the game and secure the shutout.

Katie picks up win #20 on the season.

Considering Madison and Laurie were 0-6 in the 3 and 4 holes you have to feel okay about the end result in this game. But it would be nice to get those two going again.

Mackenzie, Kelli, Macklin and Cassidy each contributed 2 hits and 8 of the Shockers 10 hits and drove in all 6 Shocker runs. A special :good: to seldom used Cassidy Kelsheimer. She may have earned herself a bit more frequent opportunities.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 11, 2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Cassidy Kelsheimer ... may have earned herself a bit more frequent opportunities.
                        HCKB has been searching for a permanent DP all season. Maybe Cassidy can claim it.

Comment

Kudos to the ladies for treating that team up north the way they are supposed to be treated. Well done.

Comment

Working...
                          X