• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
    AAC sports not played by WSU:

- Soccer
    - Rowing
    - Swimming/Diving

Rowing seems like an easy add (considering strong club rowing already), but I would like to see all sports played in our new conference.
    There are 11 women sports sponsored by the AAC. No team does all 11, but 6 do play 10. Temple and Tulane play 8 like WSU. Cincinnati, Memphis, and South Florida play 9. 7 schools do play non-sponsored women's sports. Remember, all these schools have football, so much of the added women's sports is a must for these schools.

On the men's side, WSU does 7 sports. After throwing football out, SMU, UCF, and Temple do 5, Tulane and Houston play 6, and Tulsa 7. UConn is the only school to play all 10.

UConn plays the most total varsity sports, including non-AAC sponsored, at 24. Memphis is at 20.

Comment

I read in The Eagle today that the women will play a 16-game conference schedule, which means they'll play 5 teams twice and 6 teams once. I would be surprised if we play UConn twice given the geography and program status. Surely the conference will let them come to Wichita in our first season right?!

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
        I read in The Eagle today that the women will play a 16-game conference schedule, which means they'll play 5 teams twice and 6 teams once. I would be surprised if we play UConn twice given the geography and program status. Surely the conference will let them come to Wichita in our first season right?!
        Depends on what UConn wants. My guess is Gino will be making that call. However, considering we will have 8 seniors AFAIK on next year's team it might be better for that group to take on UConn on the road than what might be a very young and inexprienced team the following year. Either way you have to beleive it will bet pretty ugly for the Lady Shocks but at least they will see 1st hand what they are up against and how steep the trail is that they will be trying to climb.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 13, 2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Do they have any players that are testing the WNBA combine waters early? Can the women put their name in and not sign with an agent and still be eligible?

Asking for a friend.....

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Do they have any players that are testing the WNBA combine waters early? Can the women put their name in and not sign with an agent and still be eligible?

Asking for a friend.....
            According to WNBA website:
            The league requires draft entrants to be at least 22 years old during the year in which the draft takes place and has no remaining college eligibility or renounces any future college eligibility.
            See FAQ #16

Perhaps they could go overseas and play which is apparently where the bigger money is at least for the Superstars. But I suppose those rules will vary from league to league.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
              Probably a de facto divisional scheduling format even though they may not formally establish divisions. It will be interesting to see what they do with Volleyball. They played a full double round robin, 20-game schedule last year. Would not surprise me if they don't go to the 16-game schedule and let teams add another tournament or 2 to their schedules. We'll see. It might be tough to get that done for next year though.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing WSU, UNI, MSU and Creighton have an annual tournament that could be rotated among the 4 schools.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 13, 2017, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                There are 11 women sports sponsored by the AAC. No team does all 11, but 6 do play 10. Temple and Tulane play 8 like WSU. Cincinnati, Memphis, and South Florida play 9. 7 schools do play non-sponsored women's sports. Remember, all these schools have football, so much of the added women's sports is a must for these schools.

On the men's side, WSU does 7 sports. After throwing football out, SMU, UCF, and Temple do 5, Tulane and Houston play 6, and Tulsa 7. UConn is the only school to play all 10.

UConn plays the most total varsity sports, including non-AAC sponsored, at 24. Memphis is at 20.
                So do we will get to add all our non-AAC sponsored sports. Does anyone know the total # for Men and Women?? We need to list all sponsored and non-sponsored sports. UConn has 24 and Memphis has 20.
                SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
                gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

Keitha Adams‏ @wsuKeithaAdams 15 hours ago

Great first evening with the American Athletic Conference annual meetings
                  #Power6

Comment

The AAC Women's BB schedule is out. The women will play a 16-game schedule with single games against 6 opponents and home and home against 5 opponents.

The Lady Shocks will play Cincy, USF and Temple once at Koch, UCF, UConn And ECU once on the road and home and home against Houston, Memphis, SMU, Tulane and Tulsa. I have a feeling geography may have come to play moreso with the women than with the men.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The American Athletic Conference has announced the women's basketball scheduling model for the 2017-18 season, the league released on Thursday.

No UConn at Koch Arena this year. That means we will get UConn at home after losing 8 seniors at the end of this season. Right now we have 1 player who would be a senior, Sabrina Lozada-Cabbage and an unannounced new addition form Sweden (Fanny Hakanson) who would be a sophomore on the roster for 2018-19. That will be quite the challenge. This will be quite a tutorial for that team.

Comment

Article in The Sunflower takes a look at Shocker Softball's move into the AAC.

Comment

American announced it's women's conference schedule today. http://goshockers.com/news/2017/9/12...e-tv-info.aspx

Comment

Working...
                        X