UCONN @ WSU (Potentialy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UCONN @ WSU (Potentialy)

Could you imagine seeing the Huskies in CKA every other year or so? (If WSU joins the AAC)

I would imagine that game would draw quite the crowd!
    The Assman

And the score would resemble? 98-32? maybe?
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
      And the score would resemble? 98-32? maybe?
      Yes, it would probably be a major league blow out. Still it might draw a crowd. IIRC, when Jackie Styles played at Missouri State the games her Junior and Senior years were both sellouts or near sellouts. However, those games were very competitive with Jackie only winning at Wichita (in overtime) in her senior year.

Here were the WSU - MSU scores in Jackies 4 regular season trips to the roundhouse during her collegiate career:

1997-98: WSU 87 - 82 MSU (6,882)
      1998-99: WSU 58 - 56 MSU (Attendance Unknown)
      1999-00: WSU 87 - 82 MSU (10,529)
      2000-01: WSU 85 - 89 MSU in OT (10,612)

The 1997-98 game was Linda Hargrove's final year as Shocker head coach. Darryl Smith was at the Shocker helm the following 3 years.

Those game in Jackie's junior and senior years were perhaps the most fun and entertaining Shocker WBB games I have ever attended. Just a tremendous atmosphere and you can tell by the scores some up-tempo basektball. There is no doubt that the big crowds in those two years were due primarily to Jackie. But they turned out to be two of the best basketball games in the history of Shocker WBB.

Shocker WBB single game attendance records have kind of been skewed and corrupted since because of the numerous Schoolhouse Screamfest games in recent years where USD259 brings in 150 bus loads of 5th and 6th graders. Outside of those games I don't think any other games have come close to the Jackie games in her final two years. The next 8 highest attended games are all Schoolfest Scream games. Number 11 is the MSU game from Jackie's freshman year shown above.

Will curiosity seekers come out to see UConn destroy the Lady Shocks. Maybe for the first year or two. After that my guess is not so much although I suppose you could expect a somewhat above average crowds.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 16, 2016, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Yes, it would probably be a major league blow out. Still it might draw a crowd. IIRC, when Jackie Styles played at Missouri State the games her Junior and Senior years were both sellouts or near sellouts. However, those games were very competitive with Jackie only winning at Wichita (in overtime) in her senior year.

Here were the WSU - MSU scores in Jackies 4 regular season trips to the roundhouse during her collegiate career:

1997-98: WSU 87 - 82 MSU (6,882)
        1998-99: WSU 58 - 56 MSU (Attendance Unknown)
        1999-00: WSU 87 - 82 MSU (10,529)
        2000-01: WSU 85 - 89 MSU in OT (10,612)

The 1997-98 game was Linda Hargrove's final year as Shocker head coach. Darryl Smith was at the Shocker helm the following 3 years.

Those game in Jackie's junior and senior years were perhaps the most fun and entertaining Shocker WBB games I have ever attended. Just a tremendous atmosphere and you can tell by the scores some up-tempo basektball. There is no doubt that the big crowds in those two years were due primarily to Jackie. But they turned out to be two of the best basketball games in the history of Shocker WBB.

Shocker WBB single game attendance records have kind of been skewed and corrupted since because of the numerous Schoolhouse Screamfest games in recent years where USD259 brings in 150 bus loads of 5th and 6th graders. Outside of those games I don't think any other games have come close to the Jackie games in her final two years. The next 8 highest attended games are all Schoolfest Scream games. Number 11 is the MSU game from Jackie's freshman year shown above.

Will curiosity seekers come out to see UConn destroy the Lady Shocks. Maybe for the first year or two. After that my guess is not so much although I suppose you could expect a somewhat above average crowds.
        I tell this story a lot but my first exposure to live Shocker Basketball was January 17, 1998, watching a Shocker doubleheader. The WSU women take on SMS while the men squared off against SIU.

In Jackie's first trip to the Roundhouse, she scored like 39 points, but the Shockers prevailed. My dad, friend, and I sat on the first row behind the north basket. It was a thrill for us because we saw Jackie play against my high school. In her senior year of high school, she scored 25 on us...in the first quarter, finishing the game with 55. Somewhere, I have that game program with tally marks of her points and her autograph.

In the men's game, SIU had a late two-point lead and a chance to ice game at the line. However, they missed both free throws. WSU rebounded and called timeout. Jason Perez took inbound pass, ran down court, and hit a three at the buzzer, running straight to the tunnel as he released shot.

That day is still probably a Top 15 sports memory for me.
        78-65

Comment

With that move to the acc, it helps recruiting and will show you the kind of team you have early on. I hope it happens as I am tired of the Missouri Valley

Comment

Working...
          X