No announcement yet.

WBB - 2016-17 Pre-Season and Exhibition Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both were injured from Wat was told, but they both will be ready for Creighton when we play them.

Comment

For the second straight exhibition game the Shocks trail a D-II team picked to finish 6th in their conference by 1 after 3 quarters.

Looks like the Shocks are without Jaleesa, Taquarndra and Jyar. At least they don't show up in the box score.

Jody has only played 9 players in this game so far. Ellie Lehne, Brittany Martin and Hannah Mortimer have not played today yet line addition to the previous 3 players mentions.

Comment

Shocks on a 7-0 run have gone up 55-52 with 5 minutes to go.

Comment

Shocks hang on for a 67-65 win. Rangie Bessard lead the way with 17 point and 13 rebounds and is one player for this Shocker team who is indispensable.

On the positive side the Shocks picked up their shooting (45%) and their scoring from the Newman game although the free throw shooting (13-21 = 62%) still needs work.

Also, with Jaleesa, Taquandra and Jyar not playing some of the Shocker newcomers are getting valuable minutes. Juco transfers Keke Thompson had 14 points and 7 rebounds and Angiee Tompkins had 13 points on 6-6 shooting and 4 rebounds while Tamara Lee and 6 points and 5 reborunds. Looks like those three will be key contributors this season.

Returning Jr. guard Diamond Lockart contributed 10 points on 4-5 shooting and 7 rebounds as well.

Hopefully, Jaleesa, Taquandra and Jyar will be ready for action against Creighton next Sunday as the Shockers open the season. I really don't know what the story is on those 3 players. Hopefully, nothing serious.

Comment

Jalessa is out the while year with a torn mcl. Jyar was suited up but didn't play. Taquandra will be back at practice on Monday and will be ready for the opener. New system is working progress but I feel very optimistic. I rather play close games where the girls learn how to fight through some things instead of playing someone and we blow them out. The system that Cameron was running is what WSU is trying to do. Dribble drive and kick out for three point shot.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997expo View Post
              Jalessa is out the while year with a torn mcl. Jyar was suited up but didn't play. Taquandra will be back at practice on Monday and will be ready for the opener. New system is working progress but I feel very optimistic. I rather play close games where the girls learn how to fight through some things instead of playing someone and we blow them out. The system that Cameron was running is what WSU is trying to do. Dribble drive and kick out for three point shot.
              Hate to hear that about Jaleesa. I assume she will take a redshirt year this year and be back next year.

I understand the point of preferring a tight game over a blow out but the fact that those tight games came against two D-II teams picked to finish 6th in their leagues is somewhat disconcerting. However, it is a little bit difficult to really evaluate when the Shockers were not at full strength.

Next Sunday's Creighton game will tell us a lot about where the team actually is at this point. Creighton is picked to win the Big East this year and they crushed Fort Hays State (picked to finish 4th in the MIAA) 90-56 Thursday in their only Exhbition game this preseason. That will indeed be a very tough test to open the season with.

Creighton opens their season at South Dakota State on Friday.

At this point I see a non-conference record of 4-7 for the Shocks. Maybe 5-6 if they can knock off Arkansas State at Koch Arena. This assumes Taquadra and Jyar are back to full speed soon and that we avoid further serious injuries to key players. How they play and show improvement will be more important than their record heading into Valley play.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 7, 2016, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X