Shocker SB at Tulsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at Tulsa

The Shockers take on Tulsa in a single game on Wednesday with a 3pm start time. This game completes their home-and-home series for the year with the Shocks winning 11-3 four weeks ago.

The Golden Hurricane have an overall record of 28-14 with a record of 5-7 in the American Athletic Conference. That record is good for a tie for third among the seven teams as 22/T18 South Florida and Central Florida are the only teams above .500. Six of the conference losses of Tulsa are to those two teams. Tulsa has an RPI ranking of 36 with the Shockers at 54. The AAC has four teams with an RPI less than 100 with the worst RPI belonging to Memphis at 155. The Valley has four teams with an RPI greater than 190.

(Using conference stats only since they are the more recent games,) Tulsa is led on offense by Shelby Estocado (OPS of 1.038 and three homers). Maddie Withee is next with an OPS of .925 and two homers. Caitlin Sill (ERA of 2.42 and WHIP of 1.85) has seven conference starts, while Emily Watson (3.07 and 1.31) has the other five.

In Valley play, the Shocks still have five players with an OPS greater than 1.00: Cacy (1.241 and seven homers), PaigeL (1.238 and six homers), Macklin (1.228 and five homers), Brittany (1.183) and Liz (1.105). Ashley and Laurie Anne both have an OPS greater than .900. Liz' BA of .434 leads the Valley.

Jenni's pitching numbers are an ERA of 3.12 and a WHIP of 1.47. Katie's are 4.97 and 1.72. It would not surprise me to see a pre-determined split of the innings between these two.

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
    Jenni ... Katie. It would not surprise me to see a pre-determined split of the innings between these two.
    With the weekend series against Indiana State being moved to Friday and Saturday, this seems even more likely with another possibility being Kelsey and Ashlynne getting some pre-determined innings.

Comment

Katie has the start in this one with Kelli at second and McKenzieA in left, replacing Brittany. Sill has the start for Tulsa.

The Shockers began with a two-spot in the first. After a two-out walk to Macklin, Cacy smacked a homer.

The Shocks loaded the bases with no one out in the second on a walk to MackenzieW, bunt single by McKenzieA and a walk to LA. Ashley followed with a double that brought home the Kenzies. Another double, this time by PaigeL, scored two more. Tulsa brought on a reliever to try to put out the fire. After a sac bunt, Macklin singled PaigeL home. Shockers lead 7-0 after two complete.

Tulsa dented the scoreboard with two runs in the fourth on a single, double, wild pitch to score one and infield single to score another. Blevins, the Tulsa reliever who had amassed 3.1 innings in the circle to this point in the year, has allowed only two hits in her three innings of relief. Shockers still lead 7-2 after four.

The Shocks loaded the bases in the seventh with one out on a single by Liz, walk to MackenzieW and single by McKenzieA (ending the day for Blevins), but two strikeouts ended the threat.

A leadoff double in the Tulsa seventh brought Jenni on in relief. After an infield single, the doubler scored on two groundouts. Then another double was followed by a two-run single, making the score 7-5. An infield single put runners at the corners before Jenni induced a fly out to end the game - finally.

Shockers 7-5 Tulsa

Jenni ... Katie. It would not surprise me to see a pre-determined split of the innings between these two.
      ... this seems even more likely with another possibility being Kelsey and Ashlynne getting some pre-determined innings.
      Do I know how to call them or what? Katie gave up nine hits and one walk in her six innings. The win runs her record to 11-6, and Jenni "earns" her fourth save. Jenni gave up four hits in her one inning of work.

The Shockers had eight hits with Ashley and McKenzie each having two. PaigeL, Cacy (with her home run) and Ashley all had two RBI.

Was Brittany ill? Resting her compromised throwing arm? Some other injury? Dunno.

Comment

Was that a save situation for Jenni?

14.30.8 Save.
        A pitcher must meet all three of the following conditions
        to be credited with a save:14.30.8.1 She is the last pitcher in the win.14.30.8.2 She is not the winning pitcher.14.30.8.3 She meets one of the followingconditions:14.30.8.3.1 She enters or re-enters the gamewith a lead of not more than three runs andpitches for at least one inning.14.30.8.3.2 She pitches effectively for at leastthree innings.14.30.8.3.3 She enters the game with the potential
        tying run on base, at bat or on deck.

Doesn't look like she met any of the requirements of 14.30.8.3 so I don't think she gets a save.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_...s%20manual.pdf

Comment

Do I know how to call them or what?
          Join the club.

Comment

Was Brittany ill? Resting her compromised throwing arm? Some other injury? Dunno.
            I couldn't say either. My guess is that her condition is one that won't get better during the season and they want to make sure they have as much as possible down the stretch in Valley play especially now that they have the league lead.

Mackenzie Adams has not played a lot this year. Not sure if she has been injured or just no room in the lineup. In any case she acquitted herself quite well today going 2-4 with 1 run scored and 5 PO's in LF.

This was good solid win over Tulsa even with the hiccup in the bottom of the 7th. I noticed that excluding the two games with WSU Tulsa's pitching staff has an ERA of 1.96 which you will take any day. The Shocks, however, put up 16 earned runs in 12 innings against Tulsa this season for an ERA of 9.33. Pretty clear where the strength of this Shocker team lies.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Mackenzie Adams ... just no room in the lineup
              would be my take on her situation. With PaigeL returning, that is a pretty tough outfield to crack.

The game article on the Shocker site notes that PaigeL "made a great play in right field to end the game."

Comment

The game article on the Shocker site notes that PaigeL "made a great play in right field to end the game."
                PaigeL is an interesting player. When you look at her you don't necessarily think now there is an outstanding athlete but she can flat get it done. Just seems like a winner to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Was that a save situation for Jenni?

14.30.8 Save.

A pitcher must meet all three of the following conditions

to be credited with a save:14.30.8.1 She is the last pitcher in the win.14.30.8.2 She is not the winning pitcher.14.30.8.3 She meets one of the followingconditions:14.30.8.3.1 She enters or re-enters the gamewith a lead of not more than three runs andpitches for at least one inning.14.30.8.3.2 She pitches effectively for at leastthree innings.14.30.8.3.3 She enters the game with the potential

tying run on base, at bat or on deck.

Doesn't look like she met any of the requirements of 14.30.8.3 so I don't think she gets a save.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_...ats manual.pdf

I wondered about that myself since she created any "save situation" herself with her ineffectiveness. You are correct - the current stats do not credit her with a Save in this game.

Comment

Working...
                  X