No announcement yet.

Loyola WBB Tean In Full Revolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I can tell Loyola is still conducting their investigation of Sheryl Swoopes who maintains she will be vindicated. Even if she is retained her Loyola coaching record after next season will be around 31-92. So in any case she you wouldn't think too much of her long-term prospects which doesn't help recruiting.

From what I can determine the only players returning next year are Freshman reserves 5-11 Brandi Segars and 5-9 Citiana Negatu. So Loyola will be looking to replace 96.6% of its scoring, 97.0% of its rebounding and 95.2% of minutes played. At this point those two will be joined by 3 freshman recruits that signed this past November who are reportedly still committed to Loyola. A 5-6 guard, a 5-7 guard and a 6-1 forward.

There is only 1 week remaining in the late signing period so at this point the pickings have to be very slim indeed for adding additional D-1 quality players.

Loyola's top two players, Taylor Manuel and Taylor Johnson are transferring to Ole Miss and Louisville, respectively, both as graduate transfers.

In addition, to the 10 players leaving the team this year, 5 players transferred last year and 4 assistant coaches and 2 DOBOs have also moved on (either dismissed by Swoopes or left voluntarily).

Loyola's average attendance last year was 366 and that team was by far the best in Swoopes' 3 years at Loyola. I suppose it is possible they could beat that next year because people do like to check out a good car wreck. And this would seem to qualify.

Very good chance that Loyola, assuming they field a team next season, may very well occupy the very bottom of the RPI rankings (#349) next year although Mississippi Valley State was pretty horrible last year and Evansville wasn't that far off ranking at #330 edging out Illinois State at #322 for the Valley's worst women's program. The Lady Shocks weighed in at #302 and Bradley barely escaped the 300's at #299.

I expect the Lady Shocks to be much improved next year. Bradley may be slightly better. Not sure that Illinois State will be any better. Of the top 5 teams in the conference next year only 2nd place Drake would seem to have prospects to be improved. MSU, UNI and SIU are all losing a lot and, of course, 5th place Loyola appears to be poised to plummet to the bottom of the D-1 heap. 6th place Indiana State graduated their only double digit scorer from this past season.

Hard to see how the Shocks won't be able to make a strong move up a what looks to be a quite weak Valley ladder. The Valley ranked 20th out of 32 conferences this past season. I am quite dubious they will be that high next season.

So far the Shockers have had no roster defections. That is a good sign that the program has stabilized I believe.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 2, 2016, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Apparently the Loyola investigation into Cheryl Swoopes is ongoing.

I did see where, after nearly a year long search, that Loyola has appointed a new school President, Jo Ann Rooney, who is the 1st non-Jesuit priest to serve in that capacity.

Perhaps the hiring of the new president will be a catalyst for resolving the Swoopes issue. Nice thing to have dropped into your lap. It will be interesting to see how Loyola handles the issue compared to how WSU handled their issues with Jody. The situations sound very similar although the player turnover at Loyola is even more pronounced then what we saw at WSU.

I suppose this could go either way. The only thing that seems to be assured is that Loyola will be horrible next season (assuming they even field a team).

Comment

Loyola's Nieka Wheeler, a very solid Valley player, looks to be transfrerring to D-II Nebraska Kearney (MIAA) for her final year of eligibility.

Raoul
        @Raoul_000
        May 31

WBB: Nebraska Kearney picks up a commitment from 5-9 forward Nieka Wheeler, a transfer (1 yr of elig.) from Loyola Chicago (#3 scorer there)

Comment

Bradley loses 6-2 Tamya Sims, a member of the 2016 MVC All-Defensive Team and Bradley's 3rd leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder to IUPUI via transfer.

INDIANAPOLIS – The coaching staff of the IUPUI women's basketball have announced the addition of #Tamya Sims# to the roster, effective as of the 2017-18 season.  Sims, a 6' 2" forward who spent the past two seasons at Bradley University, should provide the Jaguars with a physical inside presence that will enhance an already strong defense.  Sims will be ineligible for the 2016-17 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

Not what a 9-22 team wants to see. The Valley women just seem to look weaker and weaker.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Bradley loses 6-2 Tamya Sims, a member of the 2016 MVC All-Defensive Team and Bradley's 3rd leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder to IUPUI via transfer.

INDIANAPOLIS – The coaching staff of the IUPUI women's basketball have announced the addition of #Tamya Sims# to the roster, effective as of the 2017-18 season.  Sims, a 6' 2" forward who spent the past two seasons at Bradley University, should provide the Jaguars with a physical inside presence that will enhance an already strong defense.  Sims will be ineligible for the 2016-17 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

Not what a 9-22 team wants to see. The Valley women just seem to look weaker and weaker.
            Losing a good player to IUPUI isn't a good omen for the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              Losing a good player to IUPUI isn't a good omen for the Valley.
              Perhaps IUPUI losing a good player to the Valley would be more of a surprise. The Summit League was ranked 16th in RPI last year. The Valley was 21st. IUPUI had an RPI of 122. Bradley had an RPI of 299.

The state of Women's basketball in the Valley is quite poor and seems to be worsening.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Perhaps IUPUI losing a good player to the Valley would be more of a surprise. The Summit League was ranked 16th in RPI last year. The Valley was 21st. IUPUI had an RPI of 122. Bradley had an RPI of 299.

The state of Women's basketball in the Valley is quite poor and seems to be worsening.
                Oh, I totally agree! It's just you would rather have a Valley player transferring to a top 7 or 8 conference or a top 50 team. Instead, we are losing players to conferences/teams we shouldn't be. It is beyond disgusting.

While I love what WSU has done to have a strong overall athletic program and its dominance over the Valley the last 10 years, that is also a product of a weakening MVC. Just where would the MVC be ranked among other conferences if WSU was able to leave? I believe the Valley is no longer an upper tier mid major conference and will continue to drop unless a number of its schools turn their athletic programs around (particularly the most visible ones).

Comment

Oh, I totally agree! It's just you would rather have a Valley player transferring to a top 7 or 8 conference or a top 50 team.
                  Loyola's 2 best players Taylor Manuel and Taylor Johnson (both gradutate transfers) did transfer to Ole Miss and Louisville, respectively. I think I would rather lose players to IUPUI instead of losing players the stronger women's basketball conferences want.

We have to keep in mind that the Shocks finished in a 7th place tie in this conference this past year. I am optimistic they will finish much higher next year but as you say that is to some degree a product of a weakening MVC.

Perhaps the only two teams that won't be weakening next year are Drake and the Shocks. Drake will be the clear favorite to win the Valley next year. MSU, UNI and SIU all lose multiple key players. I see no reason at this point to think INS, ILS, BU and EVN will be better. LOY might just have the worst program in D-1 basketball next year assuming they are able to field a team. At best Loyola will field a team that will be short on experience, height and talent unless they can pull a big rabbit out of the hat.

As far as the Shocks are concerned it is kind of a perfect storm for moving back into the top of the Valley. The Shocks should be quite a bit better and eveyone else, except Drake, will be quite a bit worse or treading water at a low level.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 2, 2016, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Nothing new on the Sheryl Swoopes situation at Loyola but she apparently has signed another player, a 5-10 forward from Northern Oklahoma College (Enid), who reportedly chose Loyola over Southern Nazarene. No mention of the commitment on Loyola's web site.

Whether or not that is an indication that Swoopes will retain her job at Loyola is uncertain.

Comment

Swoopes fired.

Comment

Not surprised by the outcome although I am surprised it took so long. Loyola did hire a new school president about a month ago and that could have slowed the process regarding Swoopes to some degree.

The next couple of years were going to be very challenging with or without Swoopes. I think Loyola will be better off a couple years from now without Swoopes.

Comment

Working...
                        X