Shocker SB v Oklahoma State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v Oklahoma State

The Shockers complete their home-and-home with Oklahoma State with a single game on Wednesday at 7pm. Two weeks ago, the Cowgirls were 4-3 winners in Stillwater.

Oklahoma State's record is now 14-12 with a shutout win over Missouri State since the two teams last played.

Taylor Lynch and Tiffany Mikkelson each have an OPS of 1.000 for Oklahoma State with Mikkelson having five home runs. Kristin Reasnor has an OPS of .991 with four home runs, and Madi Sue Montgomery has five home runs. Sophomore Jessi Hafner, the Carroll alumna, is now five-for-sixteen this season, having her first start since the teams played last.

Kacy Freeze (ERA of 4.00 and WHIP of 1.50) and Brandi Needham (ERA of 4.29 and WHIP of 1.55) continue to be the mainstays of the Cowgirl staff with Shea Coats being the third pitcher. Being a mid-week game, Coats could well be the starter.

The Shocker offense is led by PaigeL with an OPS of 1.165 and Macklin whose OPS is 1.131. Cacy is hitting the ball well lately and had a strong weekend against Northern Iowa. Her OPS is now 1.015 with a team-leading six homers.

Jenni has an ERA of 3.32 with a WHIP of 1.56. Katie has an ERA of 4.27 with a WHIP of 1.54. In fewer innings, Kelsey has an ERA of 2.77 and a WHIP of 1.53.

The Shockers host Loyola this weekend on Friday and Saturday to continue their Valley schedule. The games are moved up one day from the normal weekend schedule because of Easter.

Kelsey gets the start tonight (I almost suggested the possibility in the earlier post.) Ashley is still unavailable after being hit in her right arm against Northern Iowa on Saturday. No word on the extent of the injury. As a result, Kelli moves to centerfield and Laurie Ann is in at shortstop. The Cowgirls start in the circle one of their principal starters in Kacy Freeze.

The Shockers scored in the first. PaigeL singled and advanced to third on an error. She scored on a ground ball by Liz.

The Cowgirls took the lead with two runs in the third. With a runner at third and two outs, back-to-back doubles scored the runs.

The Shocks tied the game in the fourth with a run. A single by Liz, sac bunt and another single by Macklin moved pinch runner Mauriana Jamele to third. She scored on a MackenzieW grounder. 2-2 after four complete innings.

Ashlynne came on in relief of Kelsey to start the fifth. Three singles loaded the bases and brought Katie on in relief. A double scored two runs and a wild pitch later scored a third run for the Cowgirls. Jessie Hafner grounded out as a pinch hitter in the Oklahoma State sixth.

In the seventh, Katie gave up a three-run homer to Mikkelson. With two outs, a walk, single and walk loaded the bases before a force out on a ground ball ended the inning.

Oklahoma State 8-2 Shockers

There were only five hits for the Shocks with none of the extra-base variety. No one had more than one hit or more than one RBI.

Kelsey was the most effective of the three pitchers, giving up two earned runs on five hits in four innings.

Comment

Thanks Moose, thought Kelsey did a great job. We felt she got robbed of a couple of close calls before giving up the two doubles. By the way, did you feel the outfield was playing a little shallow?

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
        Thanks Moose, thought Kelsey did a great job. We felt she got robbed of a couple of close calls before giving up the two doubles. By the way, did you feel the outfield was playing a little shallow?
        Sorry, sometimes I go the games, schedule permitting, but most often I report the games like they did play-by-play waay back in the day - recreating the game off the ticker tape - off LiveStats in my case. Just trying to provide a quick summary of the highlights of the game.

With the wind shifting around out of the north, I would not be surprised if the outfield was playing shallower than normal. It sounds like they may have gotten burned on those two doubles. It seems that Kelsey is getting her feet under her better and earning some more innings. She went through the lineup twice last night, the most since the second "classic" of the season.

Comment

No problem, appreciate your reports. We left after the fourth and watched the last two on goshockers. Would love to see the hometown kid have success!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            Sorry, sometimes I go the games, schedule permitting, but most often I report the games like they did play-by-play waay back in the day - recreating the game off the ticker tape - off LiveStats in my case. Just trying to provide a quick summary of the highlights of the game.

With the wind shifting around out of the north, I would not be surprised if the outfield was playing shallower than normal. It sounds like they may have gotten burned on those two doubles. It seems that Kelsey is getting her feet under her better and earning some more innings. She went through the lineup twice last night, the most since the second "classic" of the season.
            I saw a little bit of the game on the goShockers.com live stream (no audio). Looked to me like the wind was blowing (very hard) from West to East during most of the game. It did not seem to have any effect on the home run Mikkelson hit in the 7th. Appeared to be a no doubter although the view on the video stream is somewhat limited. However, it was on of those that looked gone just based on the swing plus the Shocker CF pretty much just took one step and then stopped and watch it go.

Thank goodness the wind did change around. May have saved Medicine Lodge.

Comment

Working...
            X