Shocker SB v Northern Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v Northern Iowa

The Shockers open their Valley campaign by hosting Northern Iowa this weekend. The Saturday DH starts at noon with the Sunday single game also starting at noon.

The Panthers were the preseason pick for third in the Valley among a fairly tightly packed top five. Their record thus far is 20-6. The have losses to Nebraska (currently 23/RV) and 21/18 Arizona State. Among past/future opponents of the Shocks, they have wins over Western Illinois (twice), Missouri State and Kansas. The NCAA has not started publishing this year's RPI yet, so it is difficult to gauge the strength of their schedule. Three of their losses and one of their wins are against two SEC teams, but not teams from the upper echelon of the SEC.

The Panther offense is led by Alyssa Buchanan (OPS of 1.174 and three home runs) and Chelsea Ross (OPS of 1.031 and also three homers). Ross was on the Preseason All-Conference Team and has been Player of the Week once. The team has an OPS of .872, a pretty amazing number.

Ross and Buchanan are also the mainstays in the circle for Northern Iowa. Ross has an ERA of 2.16 and a WHIP of 1.35. Buchanan's ERA is 1.45 and she has a WHIP of 0.90!!. She was Pitcher of the Week this past week. Their team ERA is 2.25. Although I am sure the Panthers will give the Shocks all they can handle and then some, these numbers for both offense and defense suggest they have had some soft spots in their schedule.

PaigeL paces the Shocker offense with an OPS of 1.245. Macklin's offense continues to improve, and she now has an OPS of 1.076. Cacy, also moving up the charts, is the team leader in home runs with three. For comparison, the team OPS of the Shocks is .802.

Jenni has an ERA of 2.66 with a WHIP of 1.43. Katie's numbers are 4.09 and 1.48. It seems Kelsey is the pitcher most likely to be seen in relief. Her ERA is 3.34 and her WHIP is 1.43.

Game One

I got to watch this game.

Katie started this game with McKenzieA as the DP. Chelsea Ross is the pitcher for the Panthers.

In the third for Northern Iowa, Ross homered off the speakers above the scoreboard after a single for a 2-0 lead after three.

In the bottom of the fourth, Cacy returned the favor by homering after a walk to PaigeL. This was the first Shocker hit of the game.

In the Panther fifth, a hit batter was followed by two outs. Then two walks loaded the bases, the first walk being an intentional unintentional walk to Ross, the first of at least three she would see on the day. After a long battle, Katie finally got a strikeout for the third out to quell the threat.

The Shocks took the lead in the bottom of the fifth. Kelli had a bunt single followed by a walk to PaigeL. Cacy then bounced a single into right field to score Kelli.

Jenni came on to start the sixth and retired all six batters she faced. Katie got the win (5-4), and Jenni got a save (2).

Northern Iowa 2-3 Shockers

Katie gave up five hits and three walks in her five innings. Jenni struck out three in her two innings.

Cacy had two of the three Shockers hits and all three of the RBI.

Comment

Game Two

I got to watch part of this game.

Jenni started with Macklin back as the DP.

In the Panther first, a homer (the second of the day for Ross), single and homer scored three.

The Shockers stormed back for four of their own in the bottom of the inning. Two walks and a ground out set the stage for a two-run double by Liz down the right field line. After Brittany singled, Macklin had a ground-rule double, again down the right field line, to score two more.

In the second with two outs and two on, Jenni walked the batter in front of Ross. Bad idea. She cleared the bases with a double to right center, and Kelsey came on in relief to close out the inning.

Cacy got a run back with her second homer of the day off a changeup. Northern Iowa led 6-5 after three complete.

With one out in the fourth, Kelsey gave one of those i-u walks to Ross and was relieved by Ashlynne. Who knows why? The inning ended by Ross being thrown out at the plate by Ashley in center field.

In the Panther fifth, the wheels came off. With two outs and a runner on third, Ashlynne gave up a single, single and walk with one run scoring. Katie came on with the bases loaded (this is when I left) and issued two walks. Jenni was back in to yield a single that scored two more.

The Shocks loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the fifth but could not score.

With two outs in the Shocker seventh, Brittany doubled and Macklin homered.

Northern Iowa 11-7 Shockers

Jenni took the loss and now has a record of 6-3. Brittany had three hits including two doubles. Macklin's two hits were a double and home run, and she drove in four runs. Liz had two double and two RBI.

The series concludes with a single game starting at noon Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
        Game Two

... and Kelsey came on in relief to close out the inning. ...

With one out in the fourth, Kelsey gave one of those i-u walks to Ross and was relieved by Ashlynne. Who knows why?
        Kelsey went through the order one time. Probably the coaches feel that is all they should ask of her against some teams. Or maybe all teams.

Comment

Game Three

Katie has the start in this one. McKenzieA is in center field in place of Ashley with Macklin as the DP. Ashley was hit by a pitch on the forearm near the elbow yesterday. The trainer spent some extended with her before she continued, and this circumstance is the likely reason she is not in the lineup today.

The Shockers struck first with a run in the first inning. Cacy reached on an error and eventually scored on a single by Brittany.

The Shocks added another run in the third with Cacy's solo homer. They lead 2-0 after three complete.

Northern Iowa exploded in the fourth. They scored two run on a single and home run. A hit batter, single and double scored one more with the trail runner being thrown out at home. With three runs in, Jenni came on in relief. Another hit batter and consecutive walks scored another run. A bases-loaded single scored the fifth and sixth runs of the inning, and an error scored the seventh. Northern Iowa leads 7-2.

Although the Panthers loaded the bases on Jenni in the fifth, she got out of the inning with a groundout.

In the Shocker seventh, the bases were loaded on two walks and an infield single by Kelli. A ground ball by Cacy caused a force out at second and scored Cassidy from third. A throwing error on the continuing play also allowed PaigeL to score.

Northern Iowa 7-4 Shockers

Katie took the loss (5-5), allowing four runs in 3.2 innings while giving five hits and two walks. Jenni gave three runs (two earned) in two innings of relief, allowing three hits and four walks. Kelsey pitched 1.2 innings to close out the game.

MackenzieW had two of the five hits by the Shockers. Cacy had two RBI and the home run.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; March 20, 2016, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I was concerned about whether or not we had the Shocks had the pitching to win the Valley. A long way to go but at this point I can't say that it looks like that answer is affirmative.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              I was concerned about whether or not we had the Shocks had the pitching to win the Valley. A long way to go but at this point I can't say that it looks like that answer is affirmative.
              Along those lines, I wondered what impact Ryne, the new pitching coach, would have. So far the answer is, Not much.

Comment

Top Five v Top Five Standings

2-1 Northern Iowa
                1-1 Illinois State
                1-1 Missouri State
                0-0 Drake
                1-2 Shockers

Comment

Working...
                X