• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will have more later, but start on this:

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
      I will have more later, but start on this:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=26912
      So basically that proves that in 2002 almost 2/3rds of the teams in the women's NCAAs had female coaches. I the fact that more men are being hired hardly proves that they are more successful.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

My 2 cents... i'm not sure statiscally who has a higher winning percentage between men & women coaches at the NCAA DI women's basketball schools but without any doubt at all Women typically get hired for the better jobs then men do. Men often get jobs that are bad jobs that good women coaches will not take. So i do think the statstics would be scewed.
        Pass the Doughnuts!

Comment

WSU had a man coaching. Now look what we have.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
            I don't think either DS or JA was/is a great coach. I also don't think most WSU fans care much about WBB. On the other hand, WBB will play a big role if we don't win the MVC All-Sports award.
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
              That proves what exactly?

Apart from the fact that this kind of anecdotal evidence proves nothing at all in any situation, in our case the example is that we had a male coach who failed and got fired followed by a female coach who to this point has been unsuccessful enough that many fans want her fired. So your point is. . . . ?
              The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

What type of impact do you think this new Assistant Coach will have?

Comment

None. Malnaa was DoBO last year so really shouldn't have much more of an impact now. Unless she ends up being good at making an impression with recruits as she can now go out and visit.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Coach Albright was on Sports Daily for the better part of the first hour this morning.

Shane Dennis did ask Jane what her goals were for this team next year either in terms of wins or conference finish. I don't think Jane really wanted to answer the question but finally said that a 3rd place finish would be a good goal for this team. She didn't necessarily say it was her expectation, only that it would be a good target to shoot for.

She did say she thought the Ladies had really dedicated themselves this off-season and that we would see a notable difference in their strength and conditioning, although she also said we probably won't out-physical too many teams, and it remained to be seen if that improved conditioning would translate into improved basketball performance.

They will be playing 3 games in Canada over Labor Day (and get 10 bonus days of practice in) like the men did last year. Probably, a good year for that.

The have a tough Thanksgiving tournament in the Virgin Islands and will play Wake Forest, Indiana and Texas A&M.

She said that Jacie Hoyt would be working at the point from the get go and that she would probably move Taylor Steven to the 2 guard slot.

Also competing for time at the 2 slot would be Kyrie Kinder, Frannie Vathauer and incoming freshman Sade Madden. Sade is more of a slasher than a outside threat at this point.

If that's the case we will have Jacie and Whitney primarily manning the point and go 4 deep at the 2. Taylor will probably see some time at the point. I see this as a fluid situation that could easily change by the start of the season depending on how the players perform.

She said Kiki Stephen is coming off of arthrosopic knee surgery and will see the Doctor tomorrow and, hopefully, be released to begin her conditioning.

Very little else was said about how they will fill the 3, 4 and 5 positions.
                    The returning players are Kiki, Daria Frazier, Marcy Sudbeck, Alex Bunton and Kristen Donnell. Incoming freshman Jennifer DeGarmo, Jadhon Kerr and Samantha Smith will be added to the mix.

5'10" Jr. Daria Frazier is a possible starter at the 3, perhaps backed up by the 6'1" Fr. Jennifer DeGarmo. Daria has great upside if only her Basketball IQ could catch up to her athleticism.

5'11" Sr. Kiki will obviously get a lot of minutes assuming her physical condition can hold up, probably at the 4, perhaps backed up by the 6'1" Jadhon Kerr Also 6'1" Jr. Marcy Sudbeck could also be effective at the 4, and maybe will see Kiki some at the 3. That combo holds some intrigue for me.

Marcy Sudbeck probably has the best skills (especially offensively) among our post players and I suspect will see her share of time at the 5.
                    Sr. Alex Bunton and Fr. Samantha Smith will be our tallest players, both at 6'3", and will probably get most of the remaining time at the 5. I was not the impressed with Kristen Donnell last year, and she is a little undersized for the post at 6'0". She will need to improve a lot to gain any PT.

Ideally, if Alex or Samantha could step up and adequately fill the post position (a tough expectation), then we could fill the 4 with Marcy and, hopefully, Jadhon and the 3 with Kiki, Daria and Jennifer. Kiki would be a real tough match up for most of the 3's she will be facing.

There is the potential to do a lot of mixing and matching as needed and as matchups dictate. On the other hand, we really need for several of our unproven Ladies to make a big step up in perfromance over last year and/or a couple of the newcomers to contribute immediately. Who that will be, if anyone, is probably the most interesting facet to this upcoming season.

At this point, I am sticking with my 7th place prediction in the MVC. Difficult to predict an overall record until the schedule is out. Wish I could be more optimistic, but last year kind of crushed any optimism I might otherwise be able to muster. Perhaps more importantly, I want to see a decent amount of improvement and some hope for the future.

I would be absolutely estatic if the Ladies prove me wrong and come back with a very strong year. I hope that's the case, as this is a very fine group of young ladies and I would really like to see them do well.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

"At this point, I am sticking with my 7th place prediction in the MVC. Difficult to predict an overall record until the schedule is out. Wish I could be more optimistic, but last year kind of crushed any optimism I might otherwise be able to muster. Perhaps more importantly, I want to see a decent amount of improvement and some hope for the future.

I would be absolutely estatic if the Ladies prove me wrong and come back with a very strong year. I hope that's the case, as this is a very fine group of young ladies and I would really like to see them do well."

I agree. I would love to see improved outside shooting and better defense.
                      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Don't expect much out of Samantha Smith. I saw her play in high school and she is very slow and needs to work on her post moves. She has gotten away with just being the tallest player on the floor for too long and is very raw at this point.

Comment

Working...
                        X