Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC WBB Tournament

Releases from the Valley office - General, Bracket and Tournament Central

Personally I think the Shocks have better personnel then Bradley but they did lose to Bradley twice during the regular season representing half of Bradley's conference win total. Perhaps the old saw about it being difficult to beat a team 3 times in a year will be in play and the Shocks will come out on top this time around. I think the Shocks will get them this time around but my predictions this year have not been anything to brag about.

The winner gets Valley champion UNI in round 2.

I mentioned earlier in the season that from my perspective one of the biggest difference between this year's team and the Alex Harden teams was that this team did not seem to get nearly as many points in transition off of their defense as those Alex Harden teams. I took a look at just regular season conference games this year and last and found that last year the Shocks scored 375 points off of turnovers (20.8 per game) and the scored 115 fast break points (6.4 per game) which usually came off of steals. This year's Shocker team scored 219 points off of turnovers (12.2 per game) and they scored 46 fast break points (2.6 per game).

That difference was actually not quite as much as I anticipated it would be. Last year's team average 67.2 PPG in conference play vs 51.8 PPG this year a difference of 15.4 PPG. About 8.6 PPG of the difference due to points off turnovers.

This year's team has at times struggled shooting the ball. They are 37.0% from the field in conference games but only 24.9% on 3-Ptrs (on 257 attempts). They are the 3rd best FT shooting team in the league at 73.5% but are dead last in the league in FT attempts at 211 (Evansville was 9th at 252 attempts but made the same number as the Shocks; Loyola leas the league with 392 attempts).

Last year's team shot 45.0% from the field in conference games. 26.1% on 3-Ptrs on 249 attempts (about the same as this year). They shot an outstanding 79.6% from the line on 210 of 264.

Of course, we went from a very experienced team last year although one that was not very deep to probably a deeper team this year although one that was very inexperienced and had not played as a unit at all. I'm guessing we will see a nice jump in productivity and wins out of this Shocker team next year.

Comment

Congratulations to Shocker sophomores Rangie Bessard and Diamond Lockhart on their selection to the MVC Scholar-Athlete 2nd Team.

ST. LOUIS  --  Sophomores Rangie Bessard and Diamond Lockhart were named to the 2016 Missouri Valley Conference Women's Basketball Scholar-Athlete Second Team, it was announced by the MVC Office today.

Comment

I have no problem with Jody using the Shocker's recent success in the Valley Tournament to motivate her team but I was a little taken aback by this statement:

“I think with past success, everyone knows it’s there,” Adams said. “Whether you’ve been a part of it or not, those banners are still hanging from the rafters in the arena. Nobody remembers who was on that team. It’s the fact that you’re wearing Wichita State across the chest that you’re associated with that success.”

With all due respect to Coach Adams I do remember who was on that (those) team(s) and the performance of this years team only increases the admiration I have for the talent and leadership on those teams, especially Alex Harden and Kelsey Jacobs. Nobody remembers those players? SMH.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 9, 2016, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I have no problem with Jody using the Shocker's recent success in the Valley Tournament to motivate her team but I was a little taken aback by this statement:

With all due respect to Coach Adams I do remember who was on that (those) team(s) and the performance of this years team only increases the admiration I have for the talent and leadership on those teams, especially Alex Harden and Kelsey Jacobs. Nobody remembers those players? SMH.
          Right on, as usual 1972. Just sums up who HCJA is.

Comment

Congrats to our lady shox for bringing their best effort during the season. Look forward to a returning cast next year and a more well rounded group ready to compete and shows a high level of chemistry, cant wait to see how the transfers and recruits we have coming in and are continuing to recruit will contribute. Again proud of my lady shox

Comment

I see the Shocks' season came to and end yesterday losing to #9 seeded Bradley 51-56 again proving my predictive abilities suck. I really did not expect the Shocks to lose to a bad Bradley team 3 times this year.

The Shocks should be better and should do significantly better next year. As far as we know everyone will be back next year as there are no seniors on this year's roster and, unlike this year, they will have an experienced team and will be one of the deepest team's Coach Adams has had at WSU. Drake doesn't lose much so they will no doubt be the favorite next year. Loyola doesn't lose much either. Missouri State loses a lot in Snow, Williams and Chvatal. UNI loses 4 starters. SIU loses Macklin, Pierre and Washington. None of the other Valley teams are very good. I will be disappointed if the Shocks don't move up significantly next year. A Top 3 finish in the Valley would not be an unreasonable expectation assuming everyone returns.

The Valley was the 21st ranked conference in RPI as well as Warrennolan.com's NPI. I don't see the Valley being better next year. Looks to be a bit weaker at this point.

Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who thought that worst case the Shockers would finish 5th this year. They finished 8th.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 11, 2016, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Quarterfinals

Northern Iowa 46-45 Bradley

Southern Illinois 73-64 Loyola

Drake 89-53 Evansville

Missouri State 70-45 Indiana State

Comment

Wow. League champion UNI barely escapes Bradley despite Madison Weekly scoring 22 points for UNI.

The Drake vs Missouri State game today may actually be the defacto championship game. They are probably the best two teams although SIU could be dangerous if they get by UNI. UNI might surprise me but I thought that all along they overachieved in winning the regular season. Kudos to them for that but they just don't look like the Valley's best team to me.

Drake and MSU were able to spread out their minutes much better than SIU and UNI.

Note that this prediction gives UNI the best chance to win this.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 12, 2016, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Another one of my predictions getting destroyed. UNI 41 - SIU 17 at the half. Apparently, SIU left whatever they had in the tank on the floor in their win over Loyola yesterday.

Comment

Semifinals

Northern Iowa 67-43 Southern Illinois

Missouri State 65-61 Drake

Comment

Northern Iowa and Missouri State probably are the two best teams in the league this year. They have the best balance of offense and defense. MSU did a really good job controlling Drake's Lizzy Wendell yesterday. They are the only two Valley teams with sub-100 RPI's. They split two close games this year with each team winning on the other team's home court. I give the edge in talent to MSU and the edge in coaching to UNI.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Northern Iowa and Missouri State probably are the two best teams in the league this year. They have the best balance of offense and defense. MSU did a really good job controlling Drake's Lizzy Wendell yesterday. They are the only two Valley teams with sub-100 RPI's. They split two close games this year with each team winning on the other team's home court. I give the edge in talent to MSU and the edge in coaching to UNI.
                          Finals

Missouri State 71-58 Northern Iowa
                          The Bears won all four quarters and are the Valley rep to the NCAA Tournament.

Comment

Working...
                          X