Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shockers at Evansville (Friday, 7pm) and Southern Illinois (Sunday, 2pm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers at Evansville (Friday, 7pm) and Southern Illinois (Sunday, 2pm)

The Shockers take to the road with another good chance for a win on Friday against Evansville.

The Purple Aces are 1-11 in the Valley (their win is at home against Bradley) and 2-21 overall. They lost to the Shocks 58-50 three weeks ago. They have the worst RPI in the conference at 322 - although the Shockers are no great shakes at 294. Sara Dickey averages 16.5 ppg, and nobody else averages even half of that. They shoot 37% from the floor while their opponents shoot 46%. They are outscored by fourteen ppg at 56-70.

The Shockers are now 3-10 in the league and 6-18 overall. In the Valley only, Rangie averages 15.2 ppg and TaQuandra averages 11.3 ppg. The Shocks average 52.7 ppg and their opponents average 62.2 ppg. Ellie had a strong game the last outing against Loyola (nine rebounds, three blocks and only two turnovers in 25 minutes). It will be interesting to see if she or Sabrina can string some nice games together as their freshman seasons wind down.

The Shocker writeup is here. The Evansville writeup is here. Streaming video is here and the LiveStats link is not yet listed.

I thought the Shocks would split last weekend's games and they did although not in the way I anticipated. I am expecting a split again this weekend.

Shocks are 0-6 in the Valley so far so it would be nice to get 1 on the left side of the ledger.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      the LiveStats link is not yet listed.
      LiveStats are here.

Comment

Just logged in to see how the Lady Shocks are doing. Looks like they are going to pick up a win as the are leading Evansville by 7 with 6:45 remaining in the game. However, the score is 30-23 so this must be one very ugly basketball game.

Comment

Shocks go on the road, shoot 28% from the field, turn the ball over 21 times and win by 13. Who would of thought that was possible? Shockers 44 - Evansville 31.

Shocks pick up their 1st road win in Valley play this year.

Evansville must be really bad. They shot 23% from the field and 33% from the FT line.

Comment

Shockers 44-31 EVANSVILLE

Rangie had sixteen points on ten shots, but TaQuandra's twelve points came on sixteen shots.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; February 19, 2016, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Other Friday Scores

NORTHERN IOWA 85-74 Drake
              The Panthers were ahead 18 at the half.

SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 69-61 Missouri State
              The Bears came from well behind to take a one point lead with 3:32 to go, but the Salukis rallied to get the win.

LOYOLA 73-61 Illinois State

Indiana State 68-59 BRADLEY

Northern Iowa now leads the Valley at 11-3.

Comment

I tried to watch a bit of this game, but I just couldn't stay with it. Just poor basketball to watch. Not a defensive juggernaut effort from our girls, just a poor shooting night from almost everyone involved.

Comment

The Shockers finish their road trip today against Southern Illinois. The Salukis (along with others) trail Valley leader Northern Iowa by one loss.

Rishonda Napier, Dyana Pierre and Cartraesha Macklin all average double figures for the Salukis. Pierre is the inside player of the trio and averages almost twelve rebounds per game. When the Shockers defeated Southern earlier this year (57-48), they used a variety of gimmick defenses.

The video is here. The LiveStats are here.

Comment

SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 80-66 Shockers

I did not see this game, but stats say Rangie had 23 and TaQuandra had 19 on eleven shots to lead the Shocks. Rishonda Napier had 30 to lead three in double figures for the Salukis. If we tried any gimmick defenses, they did not work.

The Shockers hit 61% from the field, but SIU shot 52% including 53% from beyond the arc.

Comment

SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 80-66 Shockers

I did not see this game, but stats say Rangie had 23 and TaQuandra had 19 on eleven shots to lead the Shocks. Rishonda Napier had 30 to lead three in double figures for the Salukis. If we tried any gimmick defenses, they did not work.

The Shockers hit 61% from the field, but SIU shot 52% including 53% from beyond the arc.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a team hitting 61% from the field and losing, much less by 14.

Comment

Other Sunday Scores

Missouri State 66-47 EVANSVILLE

Indiana State 74-71 LOYOLA

BRADLEY 52-38 Illinois State

Northern Iowa lead Missouri State, Drake and Southern Illinois by one game in the loss column. The Shockers and Bradley trail Illinois State by one game in the loss column for seeding in the play-in games.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          I'm not sure I've ever heard of a team hitting 61% from the field and losing, much less by 14.
                          The Shocks had nineteen turnovers to nine by the Salukis. The Salukis had seven more offensive rebounds. As a result, the Shocks had 46 field goal attempts versus 58 for the Salukis.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Shocks shot 28% Friday and won by 13. It's the Valley I guess.

That may have been the best offense the Shocks played this year. Unfortunately, SIU had a great offensive game as well. When the Shocks beat SIU 57-48 in Wichita SIU's 3 starting guards (Napier, Macklin and Gieblehausen) were 5-37 from the field including 1-19 on treys and scored a total of 14 points. This time around those 3 SIU guards were 22-38 from the field including 8-13 on treys and scored a total of 62 points.

The Shocks would beat a lot of Valley teams if they can continue to play as well offensively as they did in Carbondale. Not sure anyone in the Valley would have beat SIU on Sunday.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 22, 2016, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Other Sunday Scores

Missouri State 66-47 EVANSVILLE

Indiana State 74-71 LOYOLA

BRADLEY 52-38 Illinois State

Northern Iowa lead Missouri State, Drake and Southern Illinois by one game in the loss column. The Shockers and Bradley trail Illinois State by one game in the loss column for seeding in the play-in games.
                              Indiana State's win over Loyola today does lock the Shocks into a bottom 4 finish and the play-in round of the Valley tournament. The #7 seed and a 1st round tournament game most likely with a bad Evansville team is still up for grabs.

Comment

Working...
                              X