Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shockers v Northern Iowa (Friday) and Drake (Sunday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    I can't really argue with that. I was really surprised we lost so badly especially to Illinois State who may not win another game this year. Kind of reminds me of the Jane Albright days when the Shocks would regularly get demolished on the road. We knew coming into this year that this Shocker team had very little D-1 experience and perhaps that is mostly what is at play.

BTW, speaking of Jane Albright. Her Nevada Wolfpack team is 1-13 with their only win against D-II San Francisco State. So I guess things could be worse.
    I really liked Jane, I had the pleasure of meeting her and she was a great gal. Maybe she's gotten herself in over her head coaching wise, I dunno, but I'd take her back at WSU in a heartbeat if it meant getting rid of Jody. Don't get me wrong, I love the success we've had under Jody, I just can't stand her, at all. So that brings up a catch 22, do most fans prefer a win at all costs coach like Jody, or a win a few, lose a few, but always do so with sportsmanship and dignity like Jane?

Comment

We all know this would probably be a different team had the whole JA mess not been brought to light and losing so many players, and I don't need to get into my comments about it for risk of offending any Jody supporters, but as a Shocker fan first, it's really frustrating to see how far this team has fallen. Just based on the comments I've heard here, it seems that Wichita State no longer has a women's basketball team or coach, just a bunch of players out for themselves and a coach who can't coach the way she wants to for fear of losing more players. At this point, I almost think change is necessary, but the question is what kind of change? players? personnel? both?

Comment

Not sure that the school will make a change given Jodys contract and large buyout amount (as much as I'd like to see it). I liked Jane as well. Always very positive and her players loved her. Unfortunately it didn't equate to wins here.
        Some of my comments shouldn't be taken at face value because I do harbor some harsh feelings towards our current staff since I was close to players who left.
        Does Jody deserve a chance to right the ship she helped create next season, and do it the right way... Not for me to decide.

Comment

Eagle game article and Courier game article

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
            We all know this would probably be a different team had the whole JA mess not been brought to light and losing so many players, and I don't need to get into my comments about it for risk of offending any Jody supporters, but as a Shocker fan first, it's really frustrating to see how far this team has fallen. Just based on the comments I've heard here, it seems that Wichita State no longer has a women's basketball team or coach, just a bunch of players out for themselves and a coach who can't coach the way she wants to for fear of losing more players. At this point, I almost think change is necessary, but the question is what kind of change? players? personnel? both?
            WSU can't recruit with this coaching staff. The bad reputation is known from coast to coast. We will continue to pick up average players and late JUCOS. HCJA has lost local support. I doubt the WSU ADMIN. will do anything. Perhaps HCJA will just move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
              Not sure that the school will make a change given Jodys contract and large buyout amount (as much as I'd like to see it). I liked Jane as well. Always very positive and her players loved her. Unfortunately it didn't equate to wins here.
              Some of my comments shouldn't be taken at face value because I do harbor some harsh feelings towards our current staff since I was close to players who left.
              Does Jody deserve a chance to right the ship she helped create next season, and do it the right way... Not for me to decide.
              AD blew it. What a mess. Instead of building a case to fire her ass with good cause, no buyout (or partial) the AD pooh pooh'd it. . Now they are screwed. The program is a joke. You will see a freshman starter for Drake Sunday from Wichita who refused to give WSU a visit 2 years ago. That pisses me off. Nothing will change till she is gone. The program is contaminated.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                WSU can't recruit with this coaching staff. The bad reputation is known from coast to coast. We will continue to pick up average players and late JUCOS. HCJA has lost local support. I doubt the WSU ADMIN. will do anything. Perhaps HCJA will just move on.
                It's very disheartening to continually read about local players going out of state and succeeding. There have been a bunch.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
                  I really liked Jane, I had the pleasure of meeting her and she was a great gal. Maybe she's gotten herself in over her head coaching wise, I dunno, but I'd take her back at WSU in a heartbeat if it meant getting rid of Jody. Don't get me wrong, I love the success we've had under Jody, I just can't stand her, at all. So that brings up a catch 22, do most fans prefer a win at all costs coach like Jody, or a win a few, lose a few, but always do so with sportsmanship and dignity like Jane?
                  The problem is Jane won a few and lost a lot so you are kind of creating a straw man with the choice you have presented. While I liked Jane as a person I would not want her back at WSU in any case. Whether I would want a 0.500 Coach who operates with sportsmanship and dignity it's hard to say. Clearly there were issues with Jody not treating her players appropriately plus other questionable behavior on her part. Whether Jody has corrected that or trying to correct that I can't say. But whether it is Jody or someone else there is no reason we can't have a coach who is both successful (especially in the MVC) and a respected leader and mentor for our student athletes who does things in the right way. And this does not preclude a Coach from being tough and demanding.

That is pretty much the case in our other 9 NCAA athletic programs and in our bowling program as well. No reason we can't have that in our women's basketball program. Rightly or wrongly Jody has been given a second chance to get it right this time.

I have to admit that I have not followed this year's team closely but it seems to me that the raw talent on this team is not that bad but they are woefully inexperienced. Jody is no doubt responsible for that being the situation.

Considering that the Valley is not exactly loaded with talent and good teams getting back to competing at the top of the Valley is very doable in a relative short period of time.

Now if the local support is non-existent and if recruiting has been made impossible as @oldtimewomen's hoopcoach suggests and that remains the case it will only be a matter of time before a change is made. However, the box score from last night's UNI game, coming off a horrible performance on the road the previous week, reported attendance of 2,356. From past experience I would guess that actual attendance was probably closer to 1,300 to 1,500. But nevertheless they had 2,356 paid admissions to this game. Average paid attendance this year excluding the Schoolhouse game is 1,684. That would suggest that the local support is still in place.

As far as recruiting goes who knows how that will be affected going forward. With no seniors on this year's team and 1 player already signed for next year Jody will have a roster of 12 scholarship players for next year which is actually on the high end during Jody's tenure. This assumes the team does not suffer from player defections as has been fairly common in the past. If there are no defections after this season that could be sign that Jody and her staff have reformed their ways. In any case, recruiting will not be an issue this year.

As it stands now Jody will have 5 players to replace at the end of the 2016-17 season. We will get a good look at how recruiting has been impacted when that group is replaced.

If Jody can get back to the top of the Valley in short order (like in 2 to 3 more years) then she may have the opportunity to move on. She certainly seems to be motivated to do just that.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 9, 2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                    AD blew it. What a mess. Instead of building a case to fire her ass with good cause, no buyout (or partial) the AD pooh pooh'd it. . Now they are screwed. The program is a joke. You will see a freshman starter for Drake Sunday from Wichita who refused to give WSU a visit 2 years ago. That pisses me off. Nothing will change till she is gone. The program is contaminated.
                    And, of course, that AD is not longer in place. Coincidence?

Comment

I would say announced attendance was pretty close. I was shocked at the crowd honestly after coming off 2 bad losses and having such a poor record. It was "Jam the Gym" night and $3 dollar GA tickets, plus that ticket gets you into tomorrow's game as well... So that probably played a role in the good crowd. I will be curious how many people take advantage of that free ticket after seeing a lackluster performance.

Comment

The Drake game could be entertaining. I don't think the Shocks have a much of a chance to win this game but Drake seems like a team that just tries to outscore you and defense is not a big focus for them. So the Shockers could score quite a bit more in this game. Unfortunately, they might have to score 80 to win.

In any case, probably a more fan friendly game than what the UNI game presented.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing Drake today. If Kyndall Clark had returned for another year after her knee injury they would have had a couple of POY candidates. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rangie, Mike and Francis knock down enough 3s to put a decent amount of points on the board (given Drake's limited defense), but I don't think it will be enough.

Comment

Huge Sam Bachrodt contingency here today. Cool to see this KMCer get off to such a great start in her collegiate career!

Comment

Decent first quarter for the lady shox. Game is being called tight and Drake has done a better job knocking down free throws and leads 20-15. Rangie has 8 and Mike has 5. Not much help coming from anyone else on that end.

Comment

Shox come out on fire in the 2nd. Now up 26-24. Only one foul called on either team In the first 4 minutes of play.
                                I will never understand why Jody calls a timeout when we have momentum. We just made a nice run to take the lead on a jumper by Mike, the crowd is into the game and she sprints to half to call time.

Comment

Working...
                                X