Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shockers v Northern Iowa (Friday) and Drake (Sunday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The game day article focuses on the impact of Shocker inexperience on the offense.

Comment

First women's game in attendance. Down 34-13. Not sure it's that close. Halftime...a merciful interlude.
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

It's beyond painful.

Comment

SHOX just won the third quarter 12-9. Where was that team in the first half?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
            No players, no coach; probably not much winning. If you ever see Alex or Kelsey; a BS, WSU graduate and a WSU MS Graduate; say thank you.

Comment

Shockers 44-55 Northern Iowa

The second half (31-21) was an improvement over the first half (13-34), and this game was an improvement over last weekend. The first half of the conference season won't be very enjoyable, but the second half has a chance to be interesting.

The Shocks played hard and much cleaner (only thirteen turnovers). In the first quarter (four points), they could not buy a basket, and the size inside for the Panthers was intimidating to them. The Shockers had no answer for Jen Keitel (the size). She scored eighteen and could have scored as many as she wanted it seemed.

The second half saw a rotation of seven players (Aundra, Diamond, Elle, Jalessa, Jyar, Rangie and TaQuandra), part of the "now that we have everyone available, who is going to show they deserve to play." TaQuandra scored nine, Rangie eight and Jyar seven - all on too many shots. The Shockers shot 31.7% from the floor and 15% (3-20) on three-balls. Some of those were of the desperation variety late in the game.

There is still a long, long way to go, but I thought there was some improvement.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; January 8, 2016, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                I credit some of that too UNI not coming out motivated after being up 21 in the first half and having their way with us. Not sure why we continued to let UNI's point guard dribble all over the court and burn 25 seconds while we dared her to shoot. No sense of urgency at all until it was much too late.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  It's beyond painful.
                  Couldn't agree more. After that 4 point outburst in the first quarter I think most of the crowd forget there was a game being played until about the 37 minute mark.

Comment

Other Friday Scores

Missouri State 75-82 Drake
                    The Bulldogs get a big road win after losing one at home last weekend.

Southern Illinois 75-49 Bradley

Evansville 49-63 Loyola

Comment

I thought if the Shocks could take care of the basketball (they did with only 13 turnovers), stay close on the boards (they did 38 to 39 for UNI) and keep Madison Weekly under control (they did holding her to 5 points) that they would have a good chance of winning this game (they didn't). Proves one thing beyond a reasonable doubt. That is I don't know diddly squat.

I don't see them keeping up with a Drake team that averages 80 points a game. However, please refer to my previous insight above.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                        No players, no coach; probably not much winning. If you ever see Alex or Kelsey; a BS, WSU graduate and a WSU MS Graduate; say thank you.
                        I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying. I actually think we've got some pretty talented young ladies on our team, although I would agree that we were out coached and it wasn't close, at least in the first half. I actually do see Kelsey from time to time, but have no idea what I'd be thanking her for. Maybe I just haven't been around long enough to translate your post into something more easily understood by those of us less knowledgeable. :P

Comment

I think we have some talented young ladies as well (I also think we have a few who have underachieved greatly so far)... However we have talented individual players, I don't see us having a very good team or team players. Alex and Kelsey were the ultimate team players. Unselfish and humble almost to a fault. Haleigh lankster before that and I'd include Jess Diamond as well. Players who gave everything to a team and coach. I see a lot of girls yelling at others, too much 1 vs 1 play. Not enough encouraging and no leadership. Yes I see moments of a player showing emotion but no one really leading by example.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                            I think we have some talented young ladies as well (I also think we have a few who have underachieved greatly so far)... However we have talented individual players, I don't see us having a very good team or team players. Alex and Kelsey were the ultimate team players. Unselfish and humble almost to a fault. Haleigh lankster before that and I'd include Jess Diamond as well. Players who gave everything to a team and coach. I see a lot of girls yelling at others, too much 1 vs 1 play. Not enough encouraging and no leadership. Yes I see moments of a player showing emotion but no one really leading by example.
                            I agree about the yelling. Intended to mention it in my earlier post, but forgot. In the first half, it looked like only 2 or 3 of the girls really knew what they should do in given circumstances as far as running the offense. Worse yet is that those 2 or 3 are not the ones that were doing most of the yelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                              That's what you thank recent champions Kelsey and Alex for. The ultimate team players and still can be a record holder in Alex and all time winningest shocker in Kelsey. I agree with the greats of previous teams in Haleigh, Jessie, etc. I agree their is some talent, but they are poor players; hence "No players" comment. A real player is all about the team and elevates their team. A good coach fosters that.

Comment

Not sure how many times it happened but on several occasions our defender would lose her man, get backdoored for a layup, not switch on a screen, or just get beat, and would then stand and point fingers at someone else... Instead of hustling back, making up for it on the next play or simply saying "my bad". We faceguarded centers 30 feet from the basket, but allowed their tiny point guard to dribble unguarded to within 5 feet of the rim all night, even when trailing. We finally threw on a 3/4 court press but it's hard to setup when you can't score and by then it was much too late. Really frustrating to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X