Shockers v Oklahoma Christian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers v Oklahoma Christian

The Shockers play the Eagles of Oklahoma Christian in their second exhibition of the season. With the indefinite postponement of the men's game with New Mexico State, the women's game will have its scheduled tipoff of 7pm.

OC is a member of the D-II Heartland Conference, the same conference Newman is a member of. They are now eligible for post-season tournaments, having completed their three-year transition from the NAIA. A notable alum in the basketball world is Sherry Coale, head coach of Oklahoma.

Web site article

Eagle article

Shockers 63-45 Oklahoma Christian

The Shockers got off to an 11-0 start, and the outcome of the game was never in doubt. The Shocks, as one would expect, had better athletes and more skill.

Despite the score, there were not a lot of things to be happy about. Probably the most important thing to take from the game was that everyone, save Brittany who is still out with an injury and Hannah who is a walk-on, got double-digit minutes, and HCJA had a chance to look at a number of combinations on the floor. Sabrina made her Shocker debut after being sidelined earlier in the season while recovering from a knee injury. But the Eagles forced 33!! Shocker turnovers with a 2-2-1 full court press and by trapping out of a 1-3-1 zone in the half court. We still are far, far too easy to press.

The Shocks shot 46% for the game and held the Eagles to 27% while creating 27 turnovers. Rangie led in scoring (8-9 from the floor) with 19 points and TaQuandra had 18. No one else had more than six.

The Shockers open their conference slate with games at Indiana State on Friday and Illinois State on Sunday.

Comment

Happy to get a chance to see Sabrina. Word is, though, that they plan to redshirt her (probably a good idea) and this D-II game was the one chance they had to get her on the floor.
      The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
        Happy to get a chance to see Sabrina. Word is, though, that they plan to redshirt her (probably a good idea) and this D-II game was the one chance they had to get her on the floor.
        Great point. I was wondering why they would take the redshirt off Sabrina for just the conference season. I didn't think about an exhibition game not counting against your eligibility.

I noticed last night that we have a ton of kids who can play two of the 3-4-5 positions and not very many who can play two of the 1-2-3 positions. Having Sabrina use a year of eligibility given that situation does not make a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
          Sully says she will play. I'll be interested to see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
            Sully says she will play. I'll be interested to see what happens.
            The game article by Taylor focuses on Sabrina which may suggest she will play. Your source for Sully's comment is ... ?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              The game article by Taylor focuses on Sabrina which may suggest she will play. Your source for Sully's comment is ... ?
              A direct tweet from Sully to myself. I asked him on Twitter and he replied she would play and not redshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                A direct tweet from Sully to myself. I asked him on Twitter and he replied she would play and not redshirt.
                Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X