Wichita State Winter Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State Winter Classic

It's not officially winter yet, but who's counting.

Tourney Central

The Shockers play Prairie View A&M Friday at 7pm and then play North Carolina A&T Saturday at 3pm. North Dakota State is the other team here this weekend, playing the early game each day.

The game-day article in the Eagle is about Aundra.

Shockers 64-36 Prairie View A&M

The Shocks had a workman-like performance to defeat the outmanned Panthers. The Shockers stretched a four-point first quarter lead to a 33-16 half-time score, continuing to well control the game in the second half. Rangie led the way with twenty-four points, many of them early. Marija had thirteen and TaQuandra chipped in ten. Though Rangie had a nice line, 11 for 17, she is too willing to take a far outside shot. After one shot at the top of the key, HCJA was just shaking her head as the Shockers headed back down court. Rangie is not only no Jennifer Kaczka, she is no Michaela Dapprich either. Several of Rangie's bunnies came from penetration and nice interior passing. As a team, the Shocks shot 50% with four for eleven from behind the arc. Walk-on Hannah Mortimer got a minute of playing time at the end of the game.

PVAMU shot only 25% for the game. The Shocks started in a man, but played much of the second half, I think even the entire fourth quarter in a 2-3 zone. The defensive intensity was better than Tuesday, but the competition was clearly not.

The Shockers take on North Carolina A&T tomorrow at 3pm. The Aggies were victors today over North Dakota State in the early game, 72-64.

Comment

Oddly enough, PV A&M had the best RPI @ 195 (dropped to 241 after the game) while WSU rose from 257 to 243.

The other half of the bracket is even uglier. NC A&T won and inched up to 279 from 281. Why you may ask the small jump? Because North Dakota State fell from 346 to 348. There are only 349 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Oddly enough, PV A&M had the best RPI @ 195 (dropped to 241 after the game) while WSU rose from 257 to 243.

The other half of the bracket is even uglier. NC A&T won and inched up to 279 from 281. Why you may ask the small jump? Because North Dakota State fell from 346 to 348. There are only 349 teams.

Comment

Who is Hannah Mortimer?

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
            Who is Hannah Mortimer?
            A walk on that we just added. She's a junior. Played 2 years juco ball at brown-Mackie. Was a good shooter and scorer there. Can't imagine she sees many minutes unless we get into situations like yesterday or in a world of foul trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
              A walk on that we just added. She's a junior. Played 2 years juco ball at brown-Mackie. Was a good shooter and scorer there. Can't imagine she sees many minutes unless we get into situations like yesterday or in a world of foul trouble.
              I assume she will mostly help by providing an able body for practice. Here is her bio from the Shocker site.

Comment

There is another young lady who is from the Bahamas who i have seen. Anyone have any info on her?

Comment

Shockers 55-53 North Carolina A&T

If you look up "ugly win" in the dictionary, you will find a link to the video of this game. Despite the Shockers outshooting the Aggies 50.0% to 39.6% and winning the battle of the boards 28-25, this game was in doubt until the very end. (The Shocks did lead in turnovers, 21-18.) Sluggish second and fourth quarters were almost the downfall of the Shocks. The first field goal of the second quarter came at the 4:54 mark and at 3:49 of the fourth quarter. That bucket put the Shockers into the lead at 50-49 and they held on despite Jaleesa, Marija and Aundra all making only one of their two free throws at the end. The defense in the last several trips down the floor was quite good and they needed it.

TaQuandra and Rangie led the scoring with eighteen and sixteen respectively. They both were on the all-tournament team.

The Shockers continue to struggle against the press. Even when they get the ball across, you are often surprised that they were able to do so. The half-court offense also struggles as it always has under HCJA. When the defense is not making easy baskets off turnovers, things seem to bog down quickly in the half-court.

The Shockers play next on the road against Tennessee Tech on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                    There is another young lady who is from the Bahamas who i have seen. Anyone have any info on her?
                    You are better off putting these questions on the Recruiting thread. Putting them on a Game thread makes it extremely difficult to find any responses later, or for someone who later finds information to respond to the original question when it is buried in a Game thread.

Comment

I skipped both games this weekend. With everything we have going on with the holidays, I took a look at the RPI of teams involved and just couldn't get excited about going. I have to admit I was curios to go out and see the early game to see just how bad one of the lowest RPI teams in the nation could really be.

Comment

Thanks moose i will do that

Comment

Working...
                        X