Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rrshock
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    The top 4 seeds are through to the Semi-Finals the MVC Women's Tournament.

I guess the nuetral site has worked as hoped in that regard.
    Isn't that pretty common in most of the women's tourneys?
    I think the last 4 years in the MVC Tournament the host team was a relatively low seed and won the Tournament.

In the last 2 years Missouri State and Drake came out of the play-in rounds to win the Tournament.

The result is the MVC, which is a one bid league in Women's BB, is represented by one of its lesser teams in the NCAA. They get a fairly low seed and then usually get drilled in the 1st round.

This year, at least, we will be represented by one of our regular season co-champions.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that Jacie Hoyt would be happier if she was down in Stillwater riding the bench and cheerleading.

Jacie did not have a very good year under Jane's tutelage. Jacie appears to have some skills. Hopefully, whoever the Shocks bring in as head coach will be able to better develop and utilize those skills.

If Jim Littell is the guy and Jacie doesn't think she can play for him, she also has the choice of looking for a situation that would be more suitable for her.

I would doubt we will see wholesale changes to our roster next year, regardless of who is hired, although everyone will be back to square one in having to EARN their playing time. We have three open scholarships to fill as it is, and quality recruits at this late date don't grow on trees especially for programs that are in the dumps like WSU. We also have two incoming recruits that may or may not still want to play at WSU and may have to be re-recruited.

I think we do have some players that can be effective MVC players if properly developed and put in the right system.

Comment

Originally posted by trufan
        Budke and Littell have indeed put a program together at Oklahoma State University. What most people are not probably aware of is that they got their "jump start" by CANCELLING scholarships of a number of players who were committed there....including Jacie Hoyt.
        I would argue that this is no way to treat student-athletes.
        If Jim Littell becomes the next WSU coach, I think that Shocker supporters should make it CLEAR that that practice would not be deemed acceptable here.
        If such guideliens need to be set, then I trust that Jim Schaus will establish those guidelines upfront before a new Coach is hired. That is Jim's job as the new Coach's boss. If Jim wants to leave it totally up to the Coach, that is also fine with me.

If you are concerned about this issue, I suggest you contact Mr. Schaus.

Comment

1972--I do and I have(contacted Mr. Schaus). My comment here was essentially a heads-up to any other people who may have some interest in the University's reputation for honesty, integrity, and ability to honor commitments. These athletes are expected to honor their commitment to attend WSU and represent it well...I just hope that my alma mater is careful to keep our end of the bargain, as well.
          It is interesting that this idea of rescinding scholarships is very rare in women's basketball...even at the BCS level. I have NEVER heard of it occurring at a mid-major or high-mid-major level. Hopefully, WSU will not be the quickest to lower the standard of integrity at the mid-major level.

Also interesting, i can find no record anywhere of ANY women's basketball coach being fired with 3 years remaining on their contract before. It seems that most athletic directors understand that doing so would harm the level of trust that a prospective athlete and their parents would have as to who would be coaching them at that university.

[/i]

Comment

trufan: What was JS's reply?
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

SpanglerFan--I don't recall his response verbatim, but it was something along the lines of acknowledging or respecting my concern...but it seemed he was careful to not address the concern directly...and he reminded me that it is very early in the process and that they have not yet determined who the coach would be, etc. Very appropriate, and yet it has not settled my concern on the matter.
              BTW, I will be without a way to respond to things on ShockerNet for a few days. I will sure look forward to reading all of the latest threads when i return, though!

Comment

Illinois State knocks off Drake for the MVC Tournament Championship today by a 70-62 score.

Congrats to the Redbirds and good luck in the NCAA Tournament.

IMHO, Illinois State is the best team in the MVC and I'm glad to see them representing the MVC in the NCAA's.

Much better then what we have sent over the last 4 years.

Illinois State loses very little off of this year's team and will return, among others, two-time MVC POY Kristi Cirone. No doubt the Redbirds will be the clear favorites to won the MVC next year.

Comment

Not that it makes a lot of difference, but the Shockers final RPI was in the neighborhood of 253 (out of 341). :(

Surely we can improve significantly on that level of performance.

Comment

trufan, if i understand it correctly, a scholarship for ANY player is a one year deal, renewable for the next year. while i'm not advocating hardheartedness, there was a reason osu was awful...bad players(wsu beat the...enough said.).there is more than jane for wsu being a bad program right now...a general lack of GOOD d-1 talent in the program. IF these girls ARE d-1 level, then jane was a REALLY bad coach.

when i was lucky enough to play, i understood the game...if i wasn't good enough, i could play and study elsewhere.

Comment

I would definately agree that not all the players on this team are D1 caliber, but I do beleive there are some that are. With proper player development and a quality recruit or two or three good things could happen. As far as pulling scholarships, it will be interesting to see what happens. I guess its all a matter of opinion who they will keep and who they will release.

Comment

well said...some are, some are not.coach's call.....

Comment

Working...
                        X