Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intriguing read on problems between coaches and players on women's teams

Only 39% trust their head coach. . .

The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Unintended consequences of Title IX? Say it ain't so.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

I don't think the 15 scholarship limit was a factor in any way regarding the WSU WBB situation. I don't think Jody Adams has ever carried a full complement of 15 scholarship players and she has had very, very few walk-ons as well. I looked at Jody's rosters a while back and her average roster during her tenure at WSU has been about 11 players. Last year and this year I believe it is 10 active players (assuming nothing has changed in recent months).

That said I think the 15 scholarship limit in WBB is too many and is bad for the game to the extent that the power programs are allowed to stockpile players at the end of their benches.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 18, 2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

The statistic at the end this study is eye opening:

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          The statistic at the end this study is eye opening:

In other words, be the ball...jackass!!!

Comment

That's going to bolster the "self-esteem is everything" crowd. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Trophies for everyone! You're all winners!

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              That's going to bolster the "self-esteem is everything" crowd. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Trophies for everyone! You're all winners!
              I don't really think that was the point of he video or that it was promoting the everyone is a winner mentality. It simply said they achieved better performance when employing positive reinforcement as a coaching technique compared to using only negative reinforcement. Whether the same thing works at the highest level of athletics is a question mark although the KC Royals are a good example of where the positive approach seems to work. As a practical matter good coaches probably uses both approaches in varying degrees and understand when its best to go negative and best to go positive.

Brent Kemnitz, in his Pitching - The Mental Game CD talks about how he uses a Positive/Negative/Positive approach with his pitchers. He starts with a positive comment to make them less defensive and more open to the point(s) he wants to make. He then let's them have the negative feedback. He then finishes with positive reinforcement.

Coach Marshall seems to use both positive and negative reinforcement and seems to have a great sense as to when to use one vs the other. Coach Rainbolt and Coach Foster seem to be primarily positive reinforcement kind of guys.

However, I doubt that there is any one magical formula to follow plus a lot of other factors will determine your success, most importantly talent. Beyond that hard work, focus, determination and attitude by both the coaches and the players are important factors.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                I don't really think that was the point of he video or that it was promoting the everyone is a winner mentality.
                I agree with that statement. But it won't prevent the everyone-is-a-winner folks from using it.

Comment

Working...
                X