Shocker Softball Pitching Coach Stefankiewicz Arriving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Softball Pitching Coach Stefankiewicz Arriving

WICHITA, Kan. – Head Coach Kristi Bredbenner announced the hiring of new assistant coach Ryne Stefankiewicz to the softball program at Wichita State University.

Ryne was a grad assistant at Auburn where Clint Myers came from Arizona State and quickly got them to the WCWS. So he has been around a high quality program. A native of Omaha, I would also expect him to have some recruiting connections in the region.

I think Ryne may have been one of the interviewees from earlier in the summer that I was told about and mentioned in a previous post.

If you are into this sort of thing (I'm not), his Twitter feed may tell you something.

Comment

I know nothing about Ryne but I think it is a good hire. More and more big time programs are hiring male pitching coaches who played men's fastpitch. Again I am assuming that he pitched.

Comment

Originally posted by JayShocks View Post
        I know nothing about Ryne but I think it is a good hire. More and more big time programs are hiring male pitching coaches who played men's fastpitch. Again I am assuming that he pitched.
        Not finding much info on Ryne but it does not appear like he has much experience at all and not sure he even played a sport collegiately. From what I can gather he was a graduate assistant at Auburn last year and was the pitching coach of an 18&Under travelling team from the Omaha area that made the National Tournament a couple of years. This does not appear to be a high level hiring at all. In fact, just the opposite appears to be the case. That doesn't mean he won't do a good job but he doesn't have much of a resume that I can find.

Comment

To me as far as a pitching coach, it is more important that he played fast pitch softball than a men's college sport. Some of the top coaches are men who actually played the game. That said, I am curious if he played fast pitch or if he was just another dad with a stud daughter so everyone thought he could coach.

Comment

Originally posted by JayShocks View Post
            To me as far as a pitching coach, it is more important that he played fast pitch softball than a men's college sport. Some of the top coaches are men who actually played the game. That said, I am curious if he played fast pitch or if he was just another dad with a stud daughter so everyone thought he could coach.
            From his picture on his Twitter feed, it is doubtful that he has a daughter old enough to pitch. For that matter, it is not even evident that he is married. There is Men's Fastpitch in Nebraska, but who knows if he was part of that scene.

Comment

Stefankiewicz considers Auburn coach Clint Myers a master at building and using a pitching staff. In 10 seasons as coach at Auburn and Arizona State, his teams made eight trips to the College World Series. He won NCAA titles in 2011 and 2008 at Arizona State. Stefankiewicz will preach five principles — location, movement, off-speed pitches, throw hard to reduce reaction time, and rhythm.

“Our No. 1 philosophy at Auburn was put (the pitch) where you want it, and then make it move,” Stefankiewicz said. “Location, location, location will be our primary focus.”

Comment

Working...
              X