X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good luck to Alie!

Women's Basketball | 6/18/2015 9:29:00 AM |
    Lady Buffs Add Third Division I Transfer for 2015-16
    CANYON, Texas – West Texas A&M head women's basketball coach Kristen Mattio announced Thursday the addition of Wichita State University transfer Alie Decker to Lady Buff women's basketball team for 2015-16. Decker is the third Division I addition for the Lady Buffs for next season joining Texas transfer Lilley Vander Zee and Abilene Christian transfer and Canyon native Madison Parker.

"Alie embodies what it means to be a Lady Buff," Mattio said. "Her work ethic on and off the court has proven to show why she has won championships at a very high level. She is a strong guard who can shoot it, defend and bring a level of toughness. She will add a great deal of versatility to our team. We are excited she will be joining our Lady Buff family."

Decker, a 5-10 guard from Edmond, Okla., will be joining her younger sister Andee Decker who inked with the Lady Buffs last November. Alie Decker began her career at WSU where she redshirted her first year after five games with one start in 2012-13 before an injury sidelined her the rest of the season. She came back the following two seasons putting her mark on the record book, while helping the Shockers to three Missouri Valley Conference tournament championships and three consecutive trips to the NCAA Tournament.

Decker was deadly from beyond the arc this past season and for her Shocker career as she buried 70 triples to lead the team for second all-time in program history in a season, while leaving the school ranked third all-time in career 3-pointers made with 128. In addition, she shot 41.2 percent from beyond the arc for fourth all-time last season and boasts a 39.6 average for her career on 128 of 323 ranking first in school history. She played in 71 games for the Shockers with 33 starts as she helped lead the team to a 79-22 record with three-straight 20-plus win seasons.

In High School, Decker earned four letters in basketball for head coaches Shane Coffey and Randy Peeler. She ranked as the No. 57 ESPN Hoopgurlz power forward in the country and averaged 17.0 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.5 steals per game for Edmond Memorial High School. She helped lead her team to a state runner-up finish in 2012, earning first team all-tournament honors for the second-straight season. She earned all-state honors and OBGCA all-state accolades, while earning two Big All-City first team honors and earned Mid-State Conference Offensive Player of the Year honors as a senior in 2011-12. Decker was a three time all-conference selection and was a McDonald's All-American nominee. She had three trips to state during her high school career.

Indeed, a definite thank you and best wishes to Alie. I'm sure she will enjoy playing with her sister.

Maybe I will have to go watch Alie play and take on the Big Texan in Amarillo.

How the FREE 72oz STEAK DINNER legend was BORN and the RULES...Soon after the original Route 66 Big Texan open it's doors in 1960, owner Bob (RJ) Lee was amazed ...

The vistas around Canyon are not exactly what most would consider all that appealing. However, if you go about 10 miles east of Canyon you will hit Palo Duro Canyon and all that changes dramatically.

I believe West Texas A&M is the former Valley member West Texas State Buffaloes. Wichitan Brad Schreck played there along-side a pretty decent point guard you may have heard of -- Maurice Cheeks.

I need to ask Brad if he ever took on the Big Texan.

Comment

Remember Cheeks and another guard they had right after him or maybe a few years down the road...Terry Adolph. Didn't they also wear the jerseys with the sleeves?

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
        Remember Cheeks and another guard they had right after him or maybe a few years down the road...Terry Adolph. Didn't they also wear the jerseys with the sleeves?
        I think maybe they did. BTW, another WSU connection is that I believe that is where former Shocker Simmie Hill finished his college career. Simmie played 8 games as a freshman at WSU in 1965 when freshmen were not eligible to play "varsity" basketball but was academically ineligible at his 1st semester. He then left for 1 year of juco ball before finishing his college career at West Texas.

When Simmie arrived at Wichita State some were touting him as the second coming of Dave the Rave.

I guess this takes the off-topic tangents to new heights.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I think maybe they did. BTW, another WSU connection is that I believe that is where former Shocker Simmie Hill finished his college career. Simmie played 8 games as a freshman at WSU in 1965 when freshmen were not eligible to play "varsity" basketball but was academically ineligible at his 1st semester. He then left for 1 year of juco ball before finishing his college career at West Texas.

When Simmie arrived at Wichita State some were touting him as the second coming of Dave the Rave.

I guess this takes the off-topic tangents to new heights.
          Forgot a member of the ALLTIME name team....Goliath Yeggins!

Comment

Working...
          X