Shocker Softball Pitching Coach Sheeley Leaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Softball Pitching Coach Sheeley Leaving

I read a very small blurb in the Sports Brief section in today's print version of the Wichita Eagle reporting that WSU softball pitching coach Samantha Sheeley was leaving Wichita State.

I have not been able to find anything on this online. Anyone else have any info to corroborate this?
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 6, 2015, 02:00 PM.

I am confident she is leaving - after all, we read it in the Eagle. :)

Since no forwarding address was given, the question of interest is whose decision was it.

Comment

I didn't really get to follow softball much this year. Would you guys say that pitching was an area of strength, or more of a liability this year?

Comment

Originally posted by shockswsu View Post
        I didn't really get to follow softball much this year. Would you guys say that pitching was an area of strength, or more of a liability this year?
        I wouldn't necessarily call it a strength or a liability. I would describe it as inconsistent. We really don't really have a shut-down power pitcher and haven't had one for a while (although those don't grow on trees). We had a stretch during the 2nd half of March where we lot 9 of 10 games including 7 of our first 8 conference games. That really put us in a deep hole. However, the fact that the Shocks finished the regular season by winning 18 of their final 22 games after that bad stretch would seem to indicate our pitching staff is certainly capable of being competitive in the Valley.

Furthermore, our pitching staff was still on the young side this past year with 2 sophomores and 1 freshman carrying the load so the fact we finished the season strongly bodes well for the next couple of years.

Comment

Thanks, 72. I've often thought I might start following the softball team...

Comment

Originally posted by shockswsu View Post
            Thanks, 72. I've often thought I might start following the softball team...
            I find the games pretty entertaining when I do go. I probably should make and effort to attend a little more often.

Comment

My information is that this departure was HCKB's decision - as suspected, given no forwarding address.

Comment

I hear there have been a couple of interviews for the pitching coach position, but those interviews are several weeks old. Perhaps HCKB is looking for a quality upgrade (along the lines of Samantha Ricketts as her first hitting coach and Nicole Hudson now) and hasn't found that person yet.

Comment

I heard that a couple people were offered the job and turned it down. Not sure why, maybe pay wasn't enough? Maybe they looked at our pitching staff and didn't want the challenge? Shouldn't be in a hurry anyway since there is nothing for the pitching coach to do until practice starts.

Comment

It looks like a couple of local girls, Bailey Holt and Hunter Hogan, are no longer on the roster. Thoughts?

Comment

Can't blame them for leaving. Nobody likes to sit the bench. Players like that probably should have gone to a D2 or a Juco where they could get more playing time. No different than the two or three kids that leave the basketball team every year for an opportunity to play.
                      In my opinion this does not reflect bad on coach B. It looks more like she gave a couple local kids an opportunity simply because they were "local" kids. Its not unusual that they dont workout.

Comment

Working...
                      X