Jackie Stiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackie Stiles

While we are going through the drama of the WBB fiasco, I thought I would share this great article by Joe P, one of my writers:

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/jackie-stiles-happily-ever-after/

No I'm not advocating for her to be our coach, but I'm sure some day she will be a great one.

Your link seemed to be broken.

Maybe this will work: http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/jac...ly-ever-after/
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 22, 2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

It's the freaking mobile phone thing!

Thanks 72'

Comment

There is a reason the two biggest crowds in Shocker WBB history were games against SWMO in Jackie's junior and senior season. The interesting thing is I believe the only game Jackie's SWMO teams won in Wichita during her career was on her final trip in her senior year. (I think I have that right but the memory ain't what it used to be but I don't have time to check it). Those were some pretty solid Shocker teams back then as well but the Valley overall was probably much better in those days than it is today as well.

Some times OCD can make a person very successful if focused on the right things. Although in Jackie's case maybe just a bit more balance would serve her well.

Missouri State certainly seems to have their program heading in the right direction with Coach Harper and Coach Stiles.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          There is a reason the two biggest crowds in Shocker WBB history were games against SWMO in Jackie's junior and senior season. The interesting thing is I believe the only game Jackie's SWMO teams won in Wichita during her career was on her final trip in her senior year. (I think I have that right but the memory ain't what it used to be but I don't have time to check it). Those were some pretty solid Shocker teams back then as well but the Valley overall was probably much better in those days than it is today as well.
          Correct. Jackie did not win here until she was a senior...and for some reason, I'm thinking it might have even been an overtime game.

I was at the game during her freshman year, also a very good crowd. It was actually a doubleheader with a men's game afterwards. Jackie scored 38, but WSU still won 87-82. In the men's game, Southern Illinois, up 2, had a chance to ice the game with two free throws but missed both. WSU got a rebound and called timeout. Jason Perez took the inbounds pass down court to the top of the key and hit a game-winning 3 at the buzzer.

That was my first experience with Shocker Basketball. AMAZING!
          78-65

Comment

Some times OCD can make a person very successful if focused on the right things. Although in Jackie's case maybe just a bit more balance would serve her well.

Missouri State certainly seems to have their program heading in the right direction with Coach Harper and Coach Stiles.
            Also, I'd guesstimate 90% of the population of Claflin and 10-20 booster buses from Swomo made the trip to Wichita. Those were neutral court games, at best.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              Also, I'd guesstimate 90% of the population of Claflin and 10-20 booster buses from Swomo made the trip to Wichita. Those were neutral court games, at best.
              20 buses of SWMO fans plus the population of Claflin was about 1,500 people so those two 10,500 fan games were not neutral court games but there were other games in Levitt Arena during SWMO's heydays that were definitely neutral court games. Plus the SWMO fans were very energetic. I think they consistently outdrew their men's team at home in those days as well and this wasn't limited to just Jackie's years.

However, of the other 9,000 people in Levitt Arena for those two games during Jackie's last two years the overwhelming majority were not there because they were big supporters of Shocker WBB. They were there to see the amazing Jackie Stiles. And she was sure as hell worth the price of admission. But those were also very, very entertaining basketball games as well and the Shocker teams won over those crowds with their play. Great atmosphere that will probably prove to be a once in a lifetime thing at best for WBB in Wichita. Maybe never to be repeated.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 22, 2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Whatever happened to Darryl Smith? He had his own band of merry demons but was somewhat entertaining during games

Comment

It looks like he's been all over. What I could find, not necessarily in chronological order:

HC at Butler CC
                  Assistant at Nevada
                  HC at Alaska Fairbanks
                  Interviewed for the HC at Western State

After that, the quick Google trail goes cold.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                    It looks like he's been all over. What I could find, not necessarily in chronological order:

HC at Butler CC - 2 years 2005-07
                    Assistant at Nevada - 1 year 2007-08 (Ironically had to move on when Jane Albright was hired after the end of the 2007-08 season)
                    HC at Alaska Fairbanks (D-II) - 2008-09
                    Owner and Operator of Mind & Performance a basketball skills and sport-specific conditioning and training facility in Pacific Grove, CA
                    Interviewed for the HC at Western State (D-II) - One of three finalists in May 2012 - Did not get the job.

After that, the quick Google trail goes cold.
                    Details added

Speaking of Jane Albright she has been at Nevada for 7 years after she left Wichita State which mirrors the tenure of Jody Adams. I think Jane actually inherited a pretty good decent team from the previous Coach who resigned for personal reasons. 57-41 in her 1st three years mostly with players left over from the previous coach. However, over the past years she is 42-80. Her overall record at Nevada is 99-121 (0.450). I think her teams were in 2 WNIT's in those 7 years and no NCAA Tournaments.

Whatever you feel about Jody Adams her teams at Wichita State have soundly outperformed what Jane has done at Nevada in a comparable conference. Jody 147-83 in her 7 years for a .639 winning percentage both he best in the history of the program. During her 5 years at WSU Albright was 48-95. Her 0.336 winning percentage was the worst in modern Shocker history. Jody certainly deserves credit for her on-the-court success.

Interestingly, while Alex Harden was the 18th player selected in this year's WNBA draft Nevada's 6-8 center Mimi Mungedi was the 25th player picked in this year's WNBA draft. The Shockers were 29-5 this year. The Wolfpack was 9-21 this year.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 22, 2015, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Details added

So post 2012 he has drifted into anonymity and out of coaching?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                        So post 2012 he has drifted into anonymity and out of coaching?
                        Seems like it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                          Interviewed for the HC at Western State
                          Was this to replace Pete Bell?

Comment

No. Latricia Trammel was the Coach in 2011-12. Darryl interviewed in May 2012. The job went to the current coach, Van Girard, staring with the 2012-13 season.

Comment

lol I see what you did there

Comment

Working...
                              X