Shocker SB v #6 Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v #6 Oklahoma

Katie Malone in the circle for the Shockers.

Cacy Williams not in the starting lineup. Not sure why.

OU strikes first with 2 runs in the 3rd inning. As is often the case the scoring rally started with a walk to the lead off hitter. The next batter somehow grounded out to Melanie at Catcher unassisted with the runner holding at 1st. A single and an error by 3B Mackenzie Wright loaded the bases for the Sooners with 1 out.

A single to CF score the games 1st run with all runners moving up 1 base. That was followed by a walk to force in the 2nd run and leave the bases loaded with still only 1 out.

Katie worked out of the jam inducing 2 infield pops but OU exited Top of the 3rd with a 2-0 lead.

The Shocks responded in the bottom of the 3rd scoring 2 runs with 2 outs.

Kelli Spring reached on an infield single with 1 out. MacKenzie Wright sacrificed Kelli to 2B and Liz Broyles delivered Kelli to the plate with a 2-out single to RF.

Paige Mason was hit by a pitch and Erin Carney singled to RF to score Liz with the tying run as Paige advanced to 3rd.

Melanie popped out to 1B to end the inning.

After 3 complete the game is tied at 2 all.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 17, 2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

In the bottom of the 4th Layne Greenlee lead off with an infield single out of the 8-hole and McKenzie Adams singled to left to put runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs as the Shocks cycled back to Brittany Fortner at the top of the order.

Brittany popped up to the pitcher for out #1. I assume she was attempting to get a sac bunt down. Kelli struck out. Layne was then caught attempting to steal 3rd to end the inning as the Shocks fail to take advantage of a golden opportunity.

Comment

In the top of the 5th Katie allowed a 1 out double which brought OU SS Shelby Pendley to the plate with her 0.422 BA (0.450 with RISP). Pendley doubled home the go ahead run and took 3rd on an error by Erin Carney in RF. A ground ball out to 2B scored Pendley with the 2nd run of the inning.

Exited the Top of the 5th OU leads 4-2.

Comment

In the top of the 7th Katie got the OU 9-hole hitter on a ground ball to 3B. The top of the OU's order's numbers are insane. The 1 thru 5 hole hitters all have averages well above 0.400 with good slugging percentages.

A single, walk and single loaded the bases for OU's clean-up hitter Paige Parker who has also been in the circle for OU tonight. Parker has a 0.460 BA and an OPS of 1.353. Katie got a huge strike out for out #2 to give herself a chance to escape the damage.

Up next was Kady Self who has a 0.453 BA and OPS of 1.209. Katie was not so fortunate this time as she gave up a grand slam home run which pretty much sealed the deal for OU.

Heading to the Shocks final at bat OU leads 8-2.

Shocks fail to score in the 7th. So the Sooners win 8-2.

Sounds like a good crowed tonight according to Mike Kennedy.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Cacy Williams not in the starting lineup. Not sure why.
            From the Sports in Brief in Thursday's Eagle:

Wichita State first baseman Cacy Williams, pitcher Jenni Brooks, catcher (sic) Macklin Hitz and utility player Paige Luellen did not play in Tuesday's 8-2 loss to Oklahoma due to an indefinite suspension for a violation of team rules, coach Kristi Bredbenner said.

This could be for skipping class, for indulging in public, for ... . "Indefinite" sounds serious enough that they may not be making the trip to Carbondale. PaigeL, I believe, is out for the season with a leg injury.

Comment

Didn't we get Williams because she was kicked off the team at Emporia State?

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Pitch View Post
                Didn't we get Williams because she was kicked off the team at Emporia State?
                That would be news to me if true. I certainly cannot find any evidence on the internet that states or suggests this is true. She played in 56 of 58 games her Freshman year at Emporia State including all of their post-season games. Absent any evidence to the contrary I have to say no she was not kicked off the team at Emporia State.

Comment

I actually heard it from a couple of her former teammates that sat near me at one of the games last year. So take it with a grain of salt.
                  Although if they were there to support her I assume they were her friends.

Comment

Working...
                  X