Knee Surgery For Sara Lungren

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee Surgery For Sara Lungren

Will this perhaps be a blessing in disguise for next fall's season?

Unexpected development -- Volleyball coach Chris Lamb desperately wants to take the burden off MVC Player of the Year Sara Lungren next season. He doesn't have a choice this spring.

Lungren underwent surgery to repair the meniscus in her left knee Tuesday. She should be fine in a month or two, and ready to go in August when practice starts. She is out of spring workouts and scrimmages, which means other front-row players get more repetitions.

Lungren's injury hit before a series of scrimmages at Pepperdine. Freshman Amanda Backes, who redshirted last season, played particularly well against Southern Cal.

"Amanda Backes was awesome," Lamb said. "I don't think she knew it was USC."

Depth at setter is another priority. Kayla Stout struggled last season when pressed into action against Oral Roberts.

"If she's setting that Oral Roberts match now, we win," Stout said. "She's come that far."

WSU's non-conference schedule is close to final. Kansas State, North Texas and Cal Poly will play in a tournament at Koch Arena. K-State will make its first Wichita appearance since 1995. Cal Poly finished last season ranked No. 17 and defeated Michigan in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Cal Poly may stick around and play WSU in another match as part of a trip that also includes a match at Nebraska.

The Shockers will play in a tournament at the University of Denver that also includes DePaul and Auburn. A tournament at the University of Hawaii includes Santa Clara and Eastern Washington. WSU travels to Oral Roberts.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really looking forward to another fun year of Volleyball to help past the time next fall until Basketball season rolls around.

:goshocks:

VB has turned into quite a popular attraction at WSU. I hope this works out well for everyone involved for next year.

Good luck on the rehab.

Comment

I think this will be good for the team since they can learn to play without Sara, so long she is fully healthy for the season's start.

I also have noticed that Lambo has mentioned Amanda Backes a whole bunch recently (all glowing). I'm looking forward to seeing her play.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

He also had some positive comments about Kayla Stout's development.

I wonder if Lambo is thinking about switching back to a 6-2.

Even if he stays with the 5-1 he may want to be able to give Abby some rest periodically since she apparently has some back issues.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
          He also had some positive comments about Kayla Stout's development.

I wonder if Lambo is thinking about switching back to a 6-2.

Even if he stays with the 5-1 he may want to be able to give Abby some rest periodically since she apparently has some back issues.
          That will be interesting to see. Whichever way we go, getting more rest for Sara and Abby is important for our success.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Does anyone know who the big recruit is that is coming in next year? He mentioned how excited he was at least a dozen times in the postgame interviews, but I've never heard a name.

Comment

Yes but I forget her name. I did some research at the time and while I am sure she is a player, it was not an earthshattering signing.

Sara under the knife, not good.

Can't wait to hear what's next........Tennis team visas all revoked.

Softball on probation.

Baseball funding pulled....Brent in the hospital.....what's it going to be?

:-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x

Comment

Repairing meniscus is a pretty common procedure now days and depending on the person they can recover quickly. I've known people who take 2-3 weeks to go back to normal activity and I've known people who it takes 2-3 months. I don't think it will be a huge deal as we still have 5 months till volleyball season.

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
                  Does anyone know who the big recruit is that is coming in next year? He mentioned how excited he was at least a dozen times in the postgame interviews, but I've never heard a name.
                  I talked briefly with a (returning) VB team member recently. She said the 2007 team will be much the same as the 2006 team but some freshmen who redshirted in 2006 will be available in 2007. I have to say that every member of the WSU VB team that I have ever met has seemed to be a fine person and a good representative of the university.
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                    Originally posted by dregn
                    I talked briefly with a (returning) VB team member recently. She said the 2007 team will be much the same as the 2006 team but some freshmen who redshirted in 2006 will be available in 2007. I have to say that every member of the WSU VB team that I have ever met has seemed to be a fine person and a good representative of the university.
                    Any update on Sara's surgery?

Comment

My niece said she was back in class post surgery. Said the back of her leg was black and blue from thigh to calf. She's on crutches. Nothing definitive. The rehab begins.

Comment

Thanks '72.

Comment

I hope she is doing well.

Volleyball is a great big shining star at WSU. I hope more of you will give it a chance this fall. If you go to one game I promise you you'll be hooked.

Good game, great coach, better kids. You really cannot ask more from a program that gets so little support in general.

Comment

Ny niece did say Sarah was in good spirits and seemed upbeat if that means anything.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                              Volleyball is a great big shining star at WSU. I hope more of you will give it a chance this fall. If you go to one game I promise you you'll be hooked.

Good game, great coach, better kids. You really cannot ask more from a program that gets so little support in general.
                              I endorse the Docs comments about our VB program whole-heartedly.

Really looking forward to another great season.

A really, really, great entertainment value.

Shocker fan support has been very good, but we can do even better.

:goshocks:

Comment

Working...
                              X