WBB: 2014-15 Post Season Honors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBB: 2014-15 Post Season Honors

If the Valley follows they same pattern they used last year we can expect the All-Conference Team and Honorable Mentions, the All-Defensive Team and the All-Freshman Team on Wednesday.

Unlike the Valley men the women have a 10-player All-Conference team as opposed a 1st and 2nd team which I think is okay. The 11th through 15th vote getters receive honorable mention.

My guesses for the All-Conference team:
    Wichita State: Sr. Alex Harden and Sr. Jamilla Bonner
    Drake: So. Lizzy Wendell and either Fr. Becca Jonas (or Fr. Maddy Dean but not both)
    Southern Illinois: So. Rishonda Napier and Jr. Dyana Pierre
    Missouri State: Jr. Kenzie Williams
    Loyola: So. Taylor Manuel
    Evansville: So. Sara Dickey
    That's 9. Not sure about the 10th spot. I think that will be between MSU Jr. Tyonna Snow and UNI So. Madison Weekly.

On Thursday we should expect the Specialty Awards including Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Newcomer of the Year, Freshman of the Year, Scholar-Athlete of the Year and Coach of the Year.

I expect that Alex and Jamillah will be on the All-Conference team and Michaela to be Honorable Mention.

Alex, Jamillah and Kelsey all deserve to be on the All-Defensive team but I'm not sure we can expect to see 3 players from one school on any of the teams. We'll see.

Obviously, the Shockers will not be represented on the All-Freshman team.

As far as the Specialty Awards go I personally believe that Alex Harden deserves to be named both the Player of the Year and the Defensive Player of the Year but after what happened last year I am preparing myself to be disappointed (ad pissed off) again.

My guess is Loyola's Taylor Manuel will win Newcomer of the Year.

Freshman of the year is probably between Becca Jonas and Maddy Dean of Drake. They could easily end up sharing that award.

Coach of the Year will be between Jody Adams and Drake's Jennie Baranczyk. I have a feeling Baranczyck will be the choice here.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 9, 2015, 06:00 PM.

I agree that Alex, Jamillah and Kelsey all deserve spots on the All Defensive team. When you are #4 in scoring defense nationally (as WSU is) and the next closest Valley team is Indiana State at #72, you could make the case that the Shockers deserve 5 players on the All Defensive team. That being said, this is the same Valley that did not think Alex was player of the year last year. Odds are we are more likely to get 1 than we are to get 3. Hope I am wrong.
    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
      I agree that Alex, Jamillah and Kelsey all deserve spots on the All Defensive team. When you are #4 in scoring defense nationally (as WSU is) and the next closest Valley team is Indiana State at #72, you could make the case that the Shockers deserve 5 players on the All Defensive team. That being said, this is the same Valley that did not think Alex was player of the year last year. Odds are we are more likely to get 1 than we are to get 3. Hope I am wrong.
      As I mentioned in another quote, I wouldn't be surprised if Lizzy is POY and any coach, but Jody is Coach of the year as we are very disliked.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        If the Valley follows they same pattern they used last year we can expect the All-Conference Team and Honorable Mentions, the All-Defensive Team and the All-Freshman Team on Wednesday.

Unlike the Valley men the women have a 10-player All-Conference team as opposed a 1st and 2nd team which I think is okay. The 11th through 15th vote getters receive honorable mention.

My guesses for the All-Conference team:
        Wichita State: Sr. Alex Harden and Sr. Jamilla Bonner
        Drake: So. Lizzy Wendell and either Fr. Becca Jonas (or Fr. Maddy Dean but not both)
        Southern Illinois: So. Rishonda Napier and Jr. Dyana Pierre
        Missouri State: Jr. Kenzie Williams
        Loyola: So. Taylor Manuel
        Evansville: So. Sara Dickey
        That's 9. Not sure about the 10th spot. I think that will be between MSU Jr. Tyonna Snow and UNI So. Madison Weekly.

On Thursday we should expect the Specialty Awards including Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Newcomer of the Year, Freshman of the Year, Scholar-Athlete of the Year and Coach of the Year.

I expect that Alex and Jamillah will be on the All-Conference team and Michaela to be Honorable Mention.

Alex, Jamillah and Kelsey all deserve to be on the All-Defensive team but I'm not sure we can expect to see 3 players from one school on any of the teams. We'll see.

Obviously, the Shockers will not be represented on the All-Freshman team.

As far as the Specialty Awards go I personally believe that Alex Harden deserves to be named both the Player of the Year and the Defensive Player of the Year but after what happened last year I am preparing myself to be disappointed (ad pissed off) again.

My guess is Loyola's Taylor Manuel will win Newcomer of the Year.

Freshman of the year is probably between Becca Jonas and Maddy Dean of Drake. They could easily end up sharing that award.

Coach of the Year will be between Jody Adams and Drake's Jennie Baranczyk. I have a feeling Baranczyck will be the choice here.
        Congrats to Kelsey (1st team) and Alie (2nd team) All MVC scholar team.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
          Congrats to Kelsey (1st team) and Alie (2nd team) All MVC scholar team.
          ST. LOUIS -- Wichita State's Kelsey Jacobs and Alie Decker were named to the Missouri Valley Conference Scholar-Athlete Team, it was announced by the conference office today.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Congratulations and kudos to Kelsey and Alie.

Kelsey might have a shot at the MVC Elite 18 award for women' basketball.

Here is the Valley's PR on the Scholar Athlete Team.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 10, 2015, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Congratulations and kudos to Kelsey and Alie.

Kelsey might have a shot at the MVC Elite 18 award for women' basketball.

Here is the Valley's PR on the Scholar Athlete Team.
              We need to make it to the finals and then she has a great shot. No finals, no shot.

Comment

We need to make it to the finals and then she has a great shot. No finals, no shot.
                That's true. That's why I said she might have a shot at it. If the finals are WSU vs MSU it will come down to Kelsey and Kenzie Williams.

If the Shocks fail to make the finals we will probably be focusef on other things. Like whether or not we will make the NCAA Tournament field.

Comment

The MVC All-Conference Teams have been released:

Congrats to Alex and Jamillah making he All-Conference Team and to Michaela for Honorable Mention honors.

Alex and Jamillah also are on the All-Defensive Team.

The voting results were very much in line with my expectations. There were 11 players on the 1st team so there must have been a voting tie for the last spot. Caitlin Ingle of Drake is the only player on the team that I did not mention yesterday.

The All-Conference Team consists of the Top 10 scorers in Conference Play plus Caitlin Ingle who was 21st in conference scoring but was far and away the assist leader in conference play at 7.1 per game.

No real surprises today. Keeping my fingers crossed that Alex will be properly recognized tomorrow.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 11, 2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

One thing these All-Conference results do point to is a real challenge for Jody and the Lady Shockers next year. Not only are the Shocks losing two All-Conference and All-Defensive players in Alex (who is the best basketball player in the Valley) and Jamillah and their All-Glue Gal Kelsey Jacobs but Alex and Jamillah are the only seniors on the All-Conference First Team.

So the Shocks lose the core of the team's offense, defense and leadership from a team with precious little depth while the rest of the top teams in the league have their best players back.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 11, 2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

One thing these All-Conference results do point to is a real challenge for Jody and the Lady Shockers next year. Not only are the Shocks losing two All-Conference and All-Defensive players in Alex (who is the best basketball player in the Valley) and Jamillah and their All-Glue Gal Kelsey Jacobs but Alex and Jamillah are the only seniors on the All-Conference First Team.

So the Shocks lose the core of the team's offense, defense and leadership from a team with precious little depth while the rest of the top teams in the league have their best players back.
                      The coaches are recruiting more now than ever. They were recruiting today. I suspect we'll see a different team next year. Many new faces.

Comment

I suspect we'll see a different team next year. Many new faces.
                        That pretty much goes without saying. I actually like what I have heard and read about the two transfers and the 3 incoming freshman. But you simply do not replace such important and key pieces of Alex, Jamillah and Kelsey with the snap of your fingers.

Just look at how tough it has been for Coach Marshall to incorporate 8 new faces into the men's team this year and that was with the best trio of guards in the nation coming back from the prior year. We are heading into the NCAA Tournament and 3G still doesn't know for sure what he will get from those newcomers.

Look at the difficulties the Shocker baseball team has had trying to incorporate a ton of new faces into the program.

Of course, you never know for sure about a new group but the odds are highly weighted towards next year being a step back into the middle of the league. Not saying we will be forever stuck there but that's basically where my expectations are at this point in time. I would love to be surprised to the upside and I will continue to support the Lady Shocks. After all a persevered as a season ticket holder through all 5 years of the Jana Albright period.

Comment

The MVC All-Conference Teams have been released:

Congrats to Alex and Jamillah making he All-Conference Team and to Michaela for Honorable Mention honors.

Alex and Jamillah also are on the All-Defensive Team.

The voting results were very much in line with my expectations. There were 11 players on the 1st team so there must have been a voting tie for the last spot. Caitlin Ingle of Drake is the only player on the team that I did not mention yesterday.

The All-Conference Team consists of the Top 10 scorers in Conference Play plus Caitlin Ingle who was 21st in conference scoring but was far and away the assist leader in conference play at 7.1 per game.

No real surprises today. Keeping my fingers crossed that Alex will be properly recognized tomorrow.
                          They should've just saved time and asked you to pick the teams. Nice job.

Comment

Where did the girl from Heights and Butler County end up that was ineligible?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              Where did the girl from Heights and Butler County end up that was ineligible?
                              Not sure she (Ashley Ivy) played anywhere. If she was ineligible at WSU she probably was not eligible at other universities as well. I heard a rumor that she may back in the mix at WSU assuming she has here academics in order. I think she would till have 2 years of eligibility left under the 5 years to complete 4 years rule.

That said and while I think this is a possibility I would want favorable odds to make that bet. Maybe @oldtimewomen's hoopcoach: has heard something about this.

Comment

Working...
                              X