Shocks Host Illinois State and SIU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks Host Illinois State and SIU

The Lady Shocks (14-3, 5-0, RPI 59) will complete their pass through the bottom of the Valley with a 7:00pm Friday game with the Illinois State Redbirds (0-16, 0-5, RPI 294).

Hopefully, the Shockers will be somewhat more engaged from the get go than they were on the road last weekend against Bradley and Loyola where the muddled through the 1st half before engaging in the 2nd half and pulling away for two double digit wins.

I'm not sure what is going on at Illinois State but clearly they are struggling big time this year. This is another game you simply can not lose because it is doubtful any of the other contenders will lose to the Redbirds this year.

Illinois State Statistics. Illinois State Roster.

On Sunday, 30 minutes following the Shocker Men's game with Drake, probably about 4:00pm the Shocks take on Southern Illinois (9-7, 2-3, RPI 133). Fans attending the men's game can stay for the women's game at no charge.

SIU appears to be an improved team in their 2nd season under Coach Cindy Stein. I think Coach Stein inherited some decent talent but they were a very undisciplined and unorganized group under the previous coach. Coach Stein seems to have SIU pointing in the right direction.

SIU did beat the Shocks last year in Carbondale behind a 23 point, 15 rebound effort from their big center, 6-2 Dyana Pierre who is a Junior this year. Pierre is averaging a double-double this year at 13.5 PPG and 10.3 RPG. Not sure we really have anyone who can match up with Pierre. Perhaps Brittany Martin would have the best shot on the defensive end. At the very least Brittany could use up her 5 fouls on Pierre who is a 49% FT shooter. Problem is Brittany did not make the trip last weekend due to injury and I am not sure about her availability for this game. Perhaps we can use Moriah Daprich in that role as well. We really don't want our starters giving away any fouls unnecessarily.

Rashonda Napier, a 5-5 RSo. Guard, leads SIU in scoring at 17.3 PPG.

6-0 Jr Forward Azia Washington is chipping in with 10.3 PPG and 7.1 RPG.

Cartaesha Macklin is a very athletic 5-6 RJr Guard who led SIU in scoring her first two years but was very undisciplined and somewhat selfish and was basically a turnover waiting to happen. (She was injured after 7 games last year and received a medical redshirt). Coach Stein appears to have Macklin playing much more under control and playing much better team ball. Her scoring is down, averaging 9.7 PPG, but she has delivered 40 assists and turned the ball over 39 times in 16 games. She also grabs 4.5 RPG. Sounds like she is playing more like Jamillah Bonner of the Shocks this year.

SIU Statistics. SIU Roster.

The Shockers should win this game at home but SIU is definitely capable of pulling the upset especially if the Shocks play the way they did last weekend. It would be nice if a good chunk of the men's crowd hang around to perhaps give the Shocks a little energy boost.

Even if the Shocks win both of these games I would expect our RPI will climb into the 60's but there is not much we can do about that.

Anyone else notice Illinois State's assist to turnover stats. In 16 games they have 112 assists vs 311 turnovers. That has to have the Shocker's defense licking their chops.

Comment

We have a lot to be proud of in both our men's and women's basketball programs:

@OregonStateMBB: Four schools have men's AND women's basketball teams that are undfeated at home: Iowa State, Kentucky, Wichita State and OREGON STATE.
      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Seventeen games into the season and the Wichita State women’s basketball team is leading the nation in scoring defense.

It’s not terribly surprising, considering defense is what coach Jody Adams demands from her players. But holding opponents under 50 points on average — 49.4 to be exact — is something that has impressed even Adams.

That number figures to be lowered on Friday night when Illinois State, with its 0-16 record and 47.2 scoring average in Valley play, come to Koch Arena to begin a weekend homestand for Wichita State (14-3, 5-0 Missouri Valley).

Comment

Shocks 85 - Illinois State 38.

Balanced scoring from the Shocks with 4 of 5 starters in double figures and Kelsey with 8 points, 8 rebounds and 8 assists.

Got the bench some good minutes tonight and I liked how Jody went about it mixing in the reserves with 2 or 3 starters and giving her starters some good rest.

Not often that you feel sorry for the opponent but I think I did tonight. Maybe the Redbirds will be able to pick up a win at home against Bradley and/or Loyalo especially if they can get their 6-4 Soph Center, Kalyn Gebhardt, back in the lineup. She was suited up on the bench tonight but did not play so perhaps she is getting close.

As expected the Shocks' RPI jumped from 59 to 62 despite the 47 point win.

Comment

Shockers 85-38 Illinois State

Indiana State 65-72 Drake
            Evansville 44-58 Northern Iowa
            Missouri State 61-57 Southern Illinois

Comment

The road trip to Drake and UNI next weekend is going to be very tough one and very big opportunity for the Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Not often that you feel sorry for the opponent but I think I did tonight.
                That was about as bad a performance as we have ever seen by a D-1 team in Koch Arena. The bottom has absolutely fallen out of the Redbird program.
                The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Anybody else notice our transfer from Minnesota and her family in house tonight?

Comment

Yes!
                    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

We had another Final Four official last night in Lisa Mattingly. She worked last year's Championship game. You see her often in the Big Monday games on ESPN.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                        Anybody else notice our transfer from Minnesota and her family in house tonight?
                        Yes. Rangie is enrolled and is an official member of the Shocker team. She can't play but she did sit on the bench and took her first victory lap with her new team.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                          We had another Final Four official last night in Lisa Mattingly. She worked last year's Championship game. You see her often in the Big Monday games on ESPN.
                          Now that you mention it I thought the officiating was pretty good last night. Although maybe you don't notice them as much in a 47 point blow out where the opponent is not putting up a lot of resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
                            That was about as bad a performance as we have ever seen by a D-1 team in Koch Arena. The bottom has absolutely fallen out of the Redbird program.

— the largest win over a Missouri Valley opponent in WSU history —

Comment

SIU's Rashonda Napier is recovering from a dislocated shoulder and did not play against Missouri State.

This from the SIU game notes for the MSU game:

SALUKIS LOSE NAPIER
                              Starting point guard Rishonda Napier missed Sunday's game against Evansville after going down with a dislocated shoulder against Indiana State on Jan. 16. The extent and duration of her injury is unknown at this time, but Napier will be re-evaluated later this week. She is currently SIU's top scorer at 17.3 points per game, the third-leading mark in the Valley this season. She has yet to score fewer than 11 points this year.

From what I can tell from reading the Indiana State game report the injury is to her left shoulder and I believe Napier is a righty. I have no idea about her availability for the game vs the Shockers on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                              X