Eastern Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Washington

Team is on the way to Eastern Washington. EW is 1-0, but didn't play a team like Creighton. Bonner is making the trip so I'm assuming she is playing. They have a couple of decent inside players. I bet 1972 can give us a better preview. I noticed they will web stream the game and it says free.

Here is the pre-season review of EWU. They were picked to finish 3rd by the Coaches and 5th by the media in the 12 member Big Sky Conference.

They opened the season with a 69-62 win over Utah Valley. 4 of 5 starters scored in double figures with the 5th contributing a 9-point game. However, their bench only contributed 2 points. The starters logged 179 minutes of play with two of their guards, Lexie Nelson and Hayley Hodges, playing the full 40 minutes. So it doesn't appear EWU has a great deal of confidence in their bench.

If Jamillah Bonner is able to play then the Shocks can go at least 8 deep and see how EWU will be able to stand up the Shocks intensity on defense over the course of 40 minutes. Plus Jamillah is usually a dependable scorer which the Shock's definitely need in the lineup.

Jaleesa Chapel, who played the most of our Freshman class last year and 2nd most off the bench behind Alie, apparently is pretty deep in Jody's doghouse for some reason. She did not play at all in the exhibition game and only played 2 minutes against Creighton (despite the Shocks being short-handed). I was really expecting Jaleesa to be a key piece to the puzzle this year. If she can find her way out of the doghouse, then the Shocks will be a solid 9 deep. However, it may take Jaleesa some time to get back into Jody's good graces so that may not happen quite yet.

RPI-wise the Big Sky was ranked 14th last season and the Valley was ranked 19th. The Shocks finished last-season at #83 in the RPI while EWU was #153.

Perhaps the biggest improvement of Shocker teams under Jody vs Jane Albright has been in their performance on the road. Let's hope that continues. This would be a nice road win if the Shocks can get it.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 17, 2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Here is the pre-season review of EWU. They were picked to finish 3rd by the Coaches and 5th by the media in the 12 member Big Sky Conference.

They opened the season with a 69-62 win over Utah Valley. 4 of 5 starters scored in double figures with the 5th contributing a 9-point game. However, their bench only contributed 2 points. The starters logged 179 minutes of play two of their guard, Lexie Nelson and Hayley Hodges playing the full 40 minutes. So it doesn't appear EWU has a great deal of confidence in their bench.

If Jamillah Bonner is able to play then the Shocks can go at least 8 deep and see how EWU will be able to stand up the Shocks intensity on defense over the course of 40 minutes. Plus Jamillah is usually a dependable scorer which the Shock's definitely need in the lineup.

Jaleesa Chapel, who played the most of our Freshman class last year and 2nd most off the bench behind Alie, apparently is pretty deep in Jody's doghouse for some reason. She did not play at all in the exhibition game and only played 2 minutes against Creighton (despite the Shocks being short-handed). I was really expecting Jaleesa to be a key piece to the puzzle this year. If she can find her way out of the doghouse, then the Shocks will be a solid 9 deep. However, it may take Jaleesa some time to get back into Jody's good graces so that may not happen quite yet.

RPI-wise the Big Sky was ranked 14th last season and the Valley was ranked 19th. The Shocks finished last-season at #83 in the RPI while EWU was #153.

Perhaps the biggest improvement of Shocker teams under Jody vs Jane Albright has been in their performance on the road. Let's hope that continues. This would be a nice road win if the Shocks can get it.
      As always, nice report. Correct, Chapel is in deep and her confidence is suffering. This is not for the feint of heart. I may have said that before:-) Bonner, Alex and Kelsey are the key defenders and are quick enough to guard anyone. We drop off from there. Allie struggles as demonstrated against Creighton, Dap does fine on the block, but gets burned outside and in the open court. Fortunately EW doesn't appear to be too awfully quick. It will be a nice win. The Virgin Island trip will be a real test.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
        Chapel is in deep and her confidence is suffering. This is not for the feint of heart.
        I suppose Jody's approach will either make players much stronger and tougher or it might destroy some. You simply can't be successful at a high level if you lack confidence. I suppose there is a fine line between building confidence and destroying confidence. Unfortunately, that line is not necessarily the same for everyone. I thought Jaleesa showed a lot of promise last year. I for one will be rooting for her to get back in the mix.

Comment

I suppose Jody's approach will either make players much stronger and tougher or it might destroy some. You simply can't be successful at a high level if you lack confidence. I suppose there is a fine line between building confidence and destroying confidence. Unfortunately, that line is not necessarily the same for everyone. I thought Jaleesa showed a lot of promise last year. I for one will be rooting for her to get back in the mix.
          I'm rooting for all of the girls. It is a very tough program. Alex, Kelsey, Bonner; they all get ripped to shreds from time to time, or longer. The wins do ease the intensity a bit. So, let's keep winning.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
            I'm rooting for all of the girls. It is a very tough program. Alex, Kelsey, Bonner; they all get ripped to shreds from time to time, or longer. The wins do ease the intensity a bit. So, let's keep winning.
            Goshockers.com has the write-up on tonight's game. Not as good as 1972's, but still there. It also shows that the game is video-streamed.

Congrats to Alex on her player of the week award. She can play!

Comment

Has someone gone through the rigamarole to get an account with the video provider? Is the streaming actually free, or do you have buy a pass once you have an account?

Comment

It's free, but the way the Shocks are playing that is too much to pay. Shocks have been very unimpressive to this point.

Comment

Shocks down 23-7. Poor shooting, bad shot selection, fouls, poor rebounding, bad defense for the Shocks. EWU looks like a much more skilled basketball team.

Comment

EWU 36 - WSU 14. Bad does not describe the Shocks tonight. Really quite embarrassing. Not sure what it will take to turn this around. Perhaps Jody should try some zone. Nothing could be any worse than what were doing so far.

Comment

Halftime: EWU 43 - WSU 18.

Pretty much a combination layup drill and practicing wide open perimeter shots for EWU. The worst defense I have ever seen a Shocker team play. OTOH the Shocks missed most of the layup attempts they had.

EWU with a very nice game plan. Taking Alex away as much as possible and daring everyone else to beat them. Looks like a great formula and one I expect we will see from here on out.

No live stats available.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 18, 2014, 08:53 PM.

Comment

EWU 36 - WSU 14. Bad does not describe the Shocks tonight. Really quite embarrassing. Not sure what it will take to turn this around. Perhaps Jody should try some zone. Nothing could be any worse than what were doing so far.
                        We're out coached, outplayed. We look like the Shockers of old. No offensive scheme, getting beat on backdoor cuts, no boards. Very ugly. I think Alex and Kelsey have six missed layups between them. Big time ouch. Glad I didn't have to pay for this. Just paying with my disappointment.

Comment

They are shooting 53.3%; we are shooting 23.5%. We have turned them over only five!! times. Since we generate offense with our defense, no wonder we are getting trounced.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                            They are shooting 53.3%; we are shooting 23.5%. We have turned them over only five!! times. Since we generate offense with our defense, no wonder we are getting trounced.
                            I'm surprised they are only shooting 53.3%. With all the wide open layups they got I was expecting that to be around 65%. EWU is almost begging us to overplay them so they can cut to the basket. Guess we, we are obliging them very well indeed.

Comment

@flyingMoose where are you finding the stats?

Nevermind. Found them on the EWU site.

Comment

Working...
                              X