Shockers 65 - Creighton 56

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers 65 - Creighton 56

The Lady Shocks overcame the absence of Jamillah Bonner (concussion) and some very questionable officiating to secure a solid 65-56 win over Creighton in the 2014-15 season opener.

The Shocks seemed to grind on offense for most of the game until Alex took over the game over the last 10 minutes as she and Crighton's Marissa Janning, the reigning Big East POY duked it out. Alex, who I thought was just a little off her game for the 1st 30 minutes was tremendous down the stretch. She finishesd with 28 points, 6 rebounds, 5 steals and 2 blocks. Alex uncharacteristically did not have any assists but she certainly wasn't forcing anything.

Michaela Dapprich got off to a good start and chipped in 15 points and 5 rebounds while battling the bigger Creighton front line. Kelsey Jacobs chipped in 10 points and led the Shocks with 8 rebounds.

Brittany Martin had 6 points inlcuding two 17 footers she banked in from straight away plus 5 rebounds.

The Shockers turned Creighton over 17 times while the Shockers turned it over 12 times.

Both teams grabbed 33 rebounds.

Jody stayed with a 7-player rotation in this one with Alex logging 39 minutes.

Alway nice to send Creighton home with a loss.

BTW, the Amazing Sladek is now 3 for 3 this weekend.

BTW, I check and Gary Sladek is 55 years young.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 16, 2014, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      ... the absence of Jamillah Bonner (concussion) ...
      I believe Jamillah was not even on the bench. That suggests to me that she is still sensitive to light (and noise? - I forget my concussion symptoms), and that she may be out for weeks rather than days.

But someone doubtless has better info.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
        I believe Jamillah was not even on the bench. That suggests to me that she is still sensitive to light (and noise? - I forget my concussion symptoms), and that she may be out for weeks rather than days.

I noticed that as well. Nor was she at Koch Arena last night when they introduced the team. I had the same concern you did. Look what Mikaela Raudseep missed and she was always on the VB bench and looking chipper during her hiatus.

Comment

Eagle report on Creighton game.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

She was watching in the locker room. Yes, noise and light. I believe she will go on the Washington trip.

Comment

I was at the game yesterday, and the Shockers pulling away late in the game did not surprise me. I think Creighton is a good team, but they just didn't seem to have enough to stay with the Shockers all the way to the end of the game. And it was this way even with one of our key players unavailable for this game. I was really impressed with the play of Michaela and Kelsey Jacobs. If this was an off day for Harden, I'm looking forward to what she will do on an on day. Barring a plague of injuries, this could be a very interesting season.
              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                If this was an off day for Harden, I'm looking forward to what she will do on an on day. Barring a plague of injuries, this could be a very interesting season.
                The way Alex played over the final 10 minutes is the Alex I am used to. IMHO she was a clearly below par from her usual POY excellence. I loved the way she took over the game late and basically carried her team to the win. That is what good players do I guess.

In her 1st 30 minutes Alex was 5-14 from the field and 4-4 from the line for 14 points with 3 rebounds. Okay numbers but not Alex at her best. Several of her misses were shots she rarely misses.

In her last 10 minutes she was 4-4 from the field including 1 trey and 5-6 from the line for 14 points with 3 rebounds.

So in the last 10 minutes of the game you did see Alex on her game.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 16, 2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X