No announcement yet.

Newman Exhibition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sure if we can get 3000 Shocker fans there even if we give away the tickets. So it will be embarrassing if KState has 150% to 200% more fans in our house. On the positive side, it does provide more revenue and boost our attendance numbers.
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

I could be wrong, but when we played KState in volleyball many, many moons ago, I think there were more Kitty fans than WSU fans in the roundhouse. Anyone want to chime in that was there?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        I could be wrong, but when we played KState in volleyball many, many moons ago, I think there were more Kitty fans than WSU fans in the roundhouse. Anyone want to chime in that was there?
        May have been. My recollection was it was about 50-50 but K-State fans were probably a little louder as they won the match behind their big Eastern European star.

There may have been one or two women's basketball games where Missouri State fans outnumbered us in Jackie Stiles Freshman and Sophomore years. In Jackie's Junior and Senior years there were good numbers of MSU fans but Shocker fans responded well to the promotion and hype with those games to produce two near sellouts which I believe are still the top 2 highest attended women's games in Valley History.

As great as Jackie Stiles was she was only 1-3 against the Shockers in Wichita:
        1997-98 Season: Shockers 87 - Bears 82; Attendance = 6,882; Coach - Linda Hargrove
        1998-99 Season: Shockers 58 - Bears 56; Attendance Unknown; Coach Darryl Smith
        1999-00 Season: Shockers 87 - Bears 82; Attendance = 10,529; Coach Darryl Smith
        2000-01 Season: Shockers 85 - Bears 89 OT; Attendance = 10,612; Coach Darryl Smith

In the 3 wins the Shocks were somewhat similar to the current teams in that they were lead by quick, aggressive, athletic guards Lateesha Hill and Keomi Johnson. In the 2000-01 the Shockers become more inside oriented with Jennifer Kaczka and Angela Butler leading the way.

Those were some great games.

Comment

That was on August 25, 2007. Total attendance was 6,024, #2 on the Shockers all-time attendance behind the 6,122 we drew vs Missouri State that same season on November 2, 2007. Those are the only matches where the Shocks have broken the 6K attendance mark.

Here is the box score: http://www.goshockers.com/fls/7500/s...07/07bw-05.htm

Emily Stockman and Sara Lungren were very good but K-State had much better depth.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            May have been. My recollection was it was about 50-50 but K-State fans were probably a little louder as they won the match behind their big Eastern European star.

There may have been one or two women's basketball games where Missouri State fans outnumbered us in Jackie Stiles Freshman and Sophomore years. In Jackie's Junior and Senior years there were good numbers of MSU fans but Shocker fans responded well to the promotion and hype with those games to produce two near sellouts which I believe are still the top 2 highest attended women's games in Valley History.

As great as Jackie Stiles was she was only 1-3 against the Shockers in Wichita:
            1997-98 Season: Shockers 87 - Bears 82; Attendance = 6,882; Coach - Linda Hargrove
            1998-99 Season: Shockers 58 - Bears 56; Attendance Unknown; Coach Darryl Smith
            1999-00 Season: Shockers 87 - Bears 82; Attendance = 10,529; Coach Darryl Smith
            2000-01 Season: Shockers 85 - Bears 89 OT; Attendance = 10,612; Coach Darryl Smith

In the 3 wins the Shocks were somewhat similar to the current teams in that they were lead by quick, aggressive, athletic guards Lateesha Hill and Keomi Johnson. In the 2000-01 the Shockers become more inside oriented with Jennifer Kaczka and Angela Butler leading the way.

Those were some great games.
            Was it 00-01 when the Bears went to the Final Four?

Comment

Was it 00-01 when the Bears went to the Final Four?
              Yes, it was. The Bears' 1991-92 team also made it to a Final Four. Both teams were coached by Cheryl Burnett. MSU simply has not been the same program since Coach Burnett left and probably won't reach those heights again with the power in Women's basketball seemingly having gravitating to the P5 conferences.

Old Dominion is another non-P5 program that once was very good in WBB that has declined significantly in recent years.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 4, 2014, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Old Dominion is another non-P5 program that once was very good in WBB that has declined significantly in recent years.
                And Louisiana Tech with Leon Barmore coaching and Kim Mulkey (among others through the years) being a star player. Anne Donovan (6' 6'' I believe) was the name you remember from Old Dominion.

Comment

Working...
                X