Newman Exhibition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newman Exhibition

Anyone watch? Any impressions? Anyone care? Too early? Creighton will tell us the story.

Could not attend due to family commitments. I was hoping someone(s) would share thoughts.
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Newman Game

I attended the game. The Shox won 81-32. Their defense was pretty suffocating for the Jets who committed 24 TO's. Jamillah Bonner & Alex Harden led the way with over 20 pts each & they both shot well. Kelsey Jacobs shot wasn't going down but she had 6 steals. My real reason for going was to get a read on the new girls on the team. Jana White didn't play much last year as a frosh, but she definitely looks like she can help the team. She was 3 for 5 with her shooting and showed she is a good ball handler. I think Moriah Dapprich was redshirted last year. She got in 17 min's of action & should be a contributor, particularly if she can shoot like her sister can! Brittany Martin at 6-3 will be able to help with rebounding and defense but she needs some work on her moves around the basket. But, you can't teach 6-3 either. There were several occasions when Jody had both Martin & Jacobs on the floor at the same time. Aundra Stovall should provide some good depth at point guard. She is pretty quick. The only player among the 10 on the team who didn't play was Jalessa Chapel. She was suited up but wore a different color jersey, so I figured she must be nicked or something and was held out as a precaution. She looked fine & had a good expression on her face, so she must not be in trouble with Jody. -:)

Comment

Here's the Kansas.com write up on the exhibition game.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...le3526977.html
        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

I believe xazshox is referring to Kayla White, the sophomore from San Antonio. She actually started early last year, but found herself on the end of the bench quickly and got little time from there on. She looked much more confident in all aspects of her game tonight, and showed the ability to get to the bucket. Jaleesa is indeed in Jody's doghouse right now for her effort in practice
          Jamillah as outstanding. 10 of 13 from the floor, and 2-3 from 3. She outscored Newman 22-16 in the first half. Alex was very good as well. Between the two, they got a lot of bucket of steals and finished well in traffic and with contact. Alex had 20 as well as her usual all around good floor game.
          Neither Kelsey (2 of 8) or Michaella (4 of 11?) played all that well. Michaella fouled out with a few minutes left. Kelsey missed both her 3 point attempts and several short shots. Alie Decker was 1-6. She tweaked her ankle Friday in practice so this could have affected her shot some. Moriah was more aggressive than last year. Missed a few in close but looks improved.
          I like Brittany Martin. She looks better than I expected. She's very active, catches the ball well, blocked a few shots and showed good touch In making 2 free throws. Stovall looks to have a good handle. Knocked down a 3 late in the game. Shes quick and work on defense. Of course, freshmen guards tend to struggle under Jody so I'm hoping she can gain some of Jody's confidence and get some playing time.
          Our defense and our defensive intensity are outstanding. The ladies work so hard on that end. They scored 53 points in the first half, but only 28 in the second. Our best offense is our defense. Our shooting from 3 tonight was 18 percent, and we only shot 56 percent from the free throw line. We have some work to do on the offensive end, and we need to consistently knock down jumpers, but our defense alone will win or keep us in a lot of games.

Comment

Newman did not score in the second half until 10:05 remained. Yeah, the free throw shooting was painful to watch - for both teams.

Comment

Not much new learned. @xazshox: reported that Moriah Dapprich redshirted last year. That is incorrect. She did not play a lot but she did appear in 21 games. The Shocks look to be pretty much what I anticipated they would be. A team that will live and die with their tenacious defense.

One thing I did notice is that Alex has made a distinct effort to add a little more arch to her shot. Overall, I thought the offense tended to bog down in the half court. Nothing really too unusual about that for Jody's teams. Brittany Martin looks like she can be of value on defense and on the boards but doesn't look like she will contribute much offensively. Doesn't look like we will have much scoring from the post. Also the Shocks did not shoot the ball well from the outside hitting only 3 of 16 from behind the arc. Free throw shooting of 14-25 wasn't very good either.

I agree that Kayla White looks like she can be a solid contributor this year. Jaleesa Chapel should as well if she can get out of Jody's doghouse. That is a piece of real estate that usually has at least one occupant.

Comment

BTW, at the half time get together of High Hoops Club members Becky Endicott reported that the K-State Catbackers had requested 5,200 tickets for the December 12th game with K-State in Koch Arena. Sounds like there is a good possibility that K-Staters could outnumber Shocker fans at the game, which is, of course, why Becky made that announcement. Whether it will have the intended effect remains to be seen.

Comment

If they bring 5200 they will outnumber Shocker fans 2 or 3 to 1. Maybe they will run a promotion to draw in some fans for the good guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                    If they bring 5200 they will outnumber Shocker fans 2 or 3 to 1. Maybe they will run a promotion to draw in some fans for the good guys.
                    Newman was not a very strong team, but I thought our pressing D looked as good as mid-season form. Kelsey, JB and Alex not only get steals, but many tips and touches which leads to steals and taking time off of the clock. Kelsey, Dap and Alie will shoot a better percentage. First game. We do need to make free throws. I believe we'll give Creighton fits with our trapping defense.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                      Newman was not a very strong team
                      For reference, they are picked fifth of ten teams in the Heartland Conference and have two returning starters along with seven newcomers.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                        K-State's average home attendance last year was 4,484 per game including 3,914 for the Wichita State game in Manhattan last year won by the Shocks 69-46. In December 2012, K-State visited Koch Arena and nipped the Shocks 48-43 in front of a Koch Arena crowd of 2,586.

I am not quite sure what K-State has going for it this year that would trigger a run on tickets for this year's game but it seems unlikely they will sell anywhere close to 5,200 tickets. I just wonder if there wasn't some embellishment to this story by Becky Endicott to try and stir up the Shocker fans. Should be a good crowd that night but again, it's hard to imagine 5,200 K-State fans in attendance. If they can pull that off more power to them.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 3, 2014, 10:27 AM.

Comment

It would be nice to invite a lot of high school teams and have them in attendance to show the state of Kansas that our women's program right now is better than K-State. The only problem with that theory is that we probably won't have very many teams out to watch the game. I find it rather curious that K-State conveniently agreed to play Wichita State in Wichita on a Friday night. Two years ago, the 'Cats came to town on a Tuesday night. What takes place on those nights of the week? HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL.
                          Last edited by WuShock16; November 3, 2014, 10:33 AM.
                          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by TheYeti
                            This makes sense. No way do they fill half our arena with just KSU fans.
                            I believe the Lady Shox will next travel to Arizona State for a closed scrimmage. They have tough preseason games and this scrimmage should be a nice test as well in preparation for the Valley and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              BTW, at the half time get together of High Hoops Club members Becky Endicott reported that the K-State Catbackers had requested 5,200 tickets for the December 12th game with K-State in Koch Arena. Sounds like there is a good possibility that K-Staters could outnumber Shocker fans at the game, which is, of course, why Becky made that announcement. Whether it will have the intended effect remains to be seen.
                              I could see KState doing this as a "loss leader" in the Wichita Market, as a way to make nice with the 316 fanbase and to kind of make a point to assert dominance in an area that they can. Hey, look at us, we took over your arena. If they play up that angle, I can see it being successful.

Comment

Working...
                              X