Support Coach Bolt and Shocker Track and Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Coach Bolt and Shocker Track and Field

I hope all my fellow Shockernetters will join me in supporting Coach 'Bolt and the Shocker Track and Field Program by contributing to Coach Bolt's 57 Hole Golf Marathon Fundraiser.

WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita State Track and Field will host Head Coach Steve Rainbolt's Golf Marathon on Wed., October 15. The fundraiser will start at 7:30 a.m. at the Willowbend Golf Club.

Coach Rainbolt has not only done a great job with Shocker Track and Field he is a great guy. We are lucky to have him.

The Track and Field teams perform in relative obscurity but that does not mean they are not an important part of WSU athletics. The Track and Field and XC teams account for 6 of the 15 MVC championships in which the Shockers compete and they are a very key component in the Shocks success in winning All-Sports Trophies.

Talk about true student athletes. There are 137 athletes on the Shockers Track & Field Teams split more or less evenly between the men and the women. Coach Rainbolt has a whopping 12.6 scholarships to divide among his men and 18.0 scholarships to divide up among his women. Obviously, most of these kids must love what they are doing and they work very hard.

I plan on donating $1 for each student athlete on the team. Please join me in supporting Coach Bolt and these wonderful student athletes who represent Wichita State and our community so well. I'm sure Coach Bolt would appreciate even the smallest of donations. $5, $10, whatever you might be able to spare.

And if you get a chance take in a meet sometime. I attended the MVC Championships at Cessna Stadium a couple of years ago and I had an absolute great time.

You may or may not have seen this write-up in Paul Suellentrop's recent Shockwaves blog. I think it kind of speaks for itself.

Cleaning up — WSU’s track and field team is lifting weights in improved conditions. Assistant coaches John Hetzendorf and Pat Wilson built 14 wood-and-rubber lifting platforms. WSU fixed a drain outside the track weight room, located at the north end of Cessna Stadium, to stop flooding. New paint, Shocker logos on shiny wood and a clean floor make for a much more pleasant environment.

“On bad nights, when it was torrential rain, it flooded the entire room,” coach Steve Rainbolt said. “So our old platforms got moldy. Dirt and grim and everything came in here and we’d kind of brush it out. It was a mess.”

Rainbolt said WSU spent $3,000 to clean the floors and built the platforms with around $2,500 in materials donated by Star Lumber. “The athletes are proud of it and I was really proud of, and appreciated, Hetzendorf and Pat Wilson, who built the platforms with their own hands,” Rainbolt said.

▪ Rainbolt is switching sports for his fundraising marathons. On Oct. 15, he will play 57 holes at Willowbend Golf Club to celebrate his 57th birthday. He starts at 7:30 a.m. and estimates it will take him about 10 hours. He is taking pledges and for $250 a golfer can play nine holes. Shocker athletes will caddy.

For his 50th birthday, he ran 50 kilometers and did 55 on No. 55. “Playing golf sounds a lot more fun than what I did,” he said.

He raised around $15,000 for his running events and hopes to hit around $25,000 this time. Rainbolt uses the money to boost his team’s travel budget. For information, visit goshockers.com or call Melissa Christensen at 906-251-0250.

▪ WSU assistant coach John Wise is sprinting for his fundraiser for the Shocker Track Club elite team. Wise, who coaches former college athletes for the club, will run a 300-meter sprint on Oct. 25 at Cessna Stadium. His goal is to break 40 seconds on his 40th birthday. Donations are accepted, including the chance to dump a bucket of ice water on him for $60. For information, visit shockertrackclub.com.

Comment

Hats off to Coach Rainbolt. The Shocker Track and Field program is definitely worthy of our support.
      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Working...
      X