• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady shox to hold walk on tryouts

WBB: Shockers to Hold Open Walk-On Tryout
    Courtesy:Wichita State
    Release:10/06/2014

More Sharing Services

WICHITA, Kan. -- The Wichita State Women’s basketball team will hold a walk-on tryout on Wednesday, October 15th in Charles Koch Arena from 5-6:30 p.m.

Individuals wanting to tryout must turn in their class schedule and proof of a physical within the last 12 months by 5 p.m. on Monday, October 16th.

Each participant will need to bring their own shoes and be dressed to play. You do not need to bring a basketball. The tryout will consist of individual and small group offensive and defensive breakdowns.

Players should enter Charles Koch Arena in the Southwest entrance by the Ticket Office.

For any questions or if there is a conflict in schedule please contact:

Director of Operations: Michael Gomez- mgomez@GoShockers:.com (316-978-6637)
    Assistant Coach: Chandra Dorsey- cdorsey@GoShockers:.com (316-978-5540)

Taryn Torgerson was a decent high school player. But now that she's on a golf scholarship she may have hung up her high tops for good.

Comment

Date mix-up - Monday would be the 13th.

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
        WBB: Shockers to Hold Open Walk-On Tryout
        Courtesy:Wichita State
        Release:10/06/2014

More Sharing Services

WICHITA, Kan. -- The Wichita State Women’s basketball team will hold a walk-on tryout on Wednesday, October 15th in Charles Koch Arena from 5-6:30 p.m.

Individuals wanting to tryout must turn in their class schedule and proof of a physical within the last 12 months by 5 p.m. on Monday, October 16th.

Each participant will need to bring their own shoes and be dressed to play. You do not need to bring a basketball. The tryout will consist of individual and small group offensive and defensive breakdowns.

Players should enter Charles Koch Arena in the Southwest entrance by the Ticket Office.

For any questions or if there is a conflict in schedule please contact:

Director of Operations: Michael Gomez- mgomez@GoShockers:.com (316-978-6637)
        Assistant Coach: Chandra Dorsey- cdorsey@GoShockers:.com (316-978-5540)
        Is this something the Lady Shox have done each season or is our recruiting class weak and we're looking for some help? With a strong recruiting class, I don't think there would be room for walk-ons.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
          Is this something the Lady Shox have done each season or is our recruiting class weak and we're looking for some help? With a strong recruiting class, I don't think there would be room for walk-ons.
          I don't know about the women, but the men have certainly had walk-on try outs in the past. Since walk-ons don't count against the scholarship limit, there really isn't any reason that holding tryouts and succeeding in recruiting are mutually exclusive. They aren't competing for the same roster slots.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

The loss of Ashlee Ivy (to academic issues) and Anna Khmelevskaya (to family health issues) were certainly unanticipated and beyond Jody's control. With only 11 players on the roster Jody is probably looking for some help at practices. Yes they have the male practice squad but I assume that is mostly for scrimmages. I don't think Jody has had tryouts previously but I am not sure about that. The Shocker softball team has generally held annual tryouts in HCKB's 3 years. Coach Marshall typically has a couple of walk-ons in addition to his 13 scholarship players. This year he has 3.

I would not expect these players to contribute any significant playing time outside of practices. Maybe some mop up minutes in a blow-out.

Excluding her 1st year when she only 9 players on the roster Jody has 11 scholarship players during 3 of her seasons and 12 during the other 3. This year Jody has 11 scholarship players although Diamond Lockhart can not participate in games. So she is about where she normally has been but we certainly don't have a lot of margin for injuries. If Ashlee and Anna had worked out she would have had her biggest scholarship roster of her WSU tenure.

Still it would not hurt my feelings if we did see some reduction in player turnover going forward, although some is natural and to be expected and some like Ashlee Ivy and Anna K. are in the stuff happens category.

My guess is that if Ashlee and Anna were on board as anticipated we would not be having these tryouts. Walk-ons are not nearly as common for women's teams as they are for the men. About the only one I remember was Brittany Taylor, a 5-4 guard from Valley Center, who walked on for 1-year in 2011-12 after playing 1 year at D-3 Centenary College in New Jersey and then sitting out a year. We had 13 on the roster that year including Brittany.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 6, 2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Hopefully some 6'4 ladies come out and give it a shot,wouldn't hurt because we need height and some shooters

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                The loss of Ashlee Ivy (to academic issues) and Anna Khmelevskaya (to family health issues) were certainly unanticipated and beyond Jody's control. With only 11 players on the roster Jody is probably looking for some help at practices. Yes they have the male practice squad but I assume that is mostly for scrimmages. I don't think Jody has had tryouts previously but I am not sure about that. The Shocker softball team has generally held annual tryouts in HCKB's 3 years. Coach Marshall typically has a couple of walk-ons in addition to his 13 scholarship players. This year he has 3.

I would not expect these players to contribute any significant playing time outside of practices. Maybe some mop up minutes in a blow-out.

Excluding her 1st year when she only 9 players on the roster Jody has 11 scholarship players during 3 of her seasons and 12 during the other 3. This year Jody has 11 scholarship players although Diamond Lockhart can not participate in games. So she is about where she normally has been but we certainly don't have a lot of margin for injuries. If Ashlee and Anna had worked out she would have had her biggest scholarship roster of her WSU tenure.

Still it would not hurt my feelings if we did see some reduction in player turnover going forward, although some is natural and to be expected and some like Ashlee Ivy and Anna K. are in the stuff happens category.

My guess is that if Ashlee and Anna were on board as anticipated we would not be having these tryouts. Walk-ons are not nearly as common for women's teams as they are for the men. About the only one I remember was Brittany Taylor, a 5-4 guard from Valley Center, who walked on for 1-year in 2011-12 after playing 1 year at D-3 Centenary College in New Jersey and then sitting out a year. We had 13 on the roster that year including Brittany.
                Thanks, 1972. I have no opinion about this, just don't recall us doing it. Maybe there is a jewel on campus somewhere; stranger things have happened.

Comment

Thanks, 1972. I have no opinion about this, just don't recall us doing it. Maybe there is a jewel on campus somewhere; stranger
                  things have happened.
                  There are probably a few that could fill a walk-on role. The big question is would they want to. That is a big commitment of time and energy with not much return on your investment of such time and energy.

Comment

Hope it's open to the public,I'd like to watch

Comment

Hope it's open to the public,I'd like to watch
                      I believe they start official practice Friday. Practice is usually open to the public when it is in Koch Arena. The practice gym is a bit awkward to just walk in.

Comment

Ok thank u,will be interesting to see who shows up

Comment

Was anyone able to make it out to checkout the walk on try outs today,interested to see how it went and if anyone stood out

Comment

Was anyone able to make it out to checkout the walk on try outs today,interested to see how it went and if anyone stood out
                            I don't know if I can make Shocker Madness tonight, but perhaps 1972 can give us a report; though playing against the practice guys, doesn't always give us a clear indication of how we might look. Hopefully we will get an idea if the sophomores and new recruits will contribute.

Comment

Any thoughts on tonight's scrimmage?
                              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Working...
                              X