Apparently St. Louis is too close to Wichita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently St. Louis is too close to Wichita

The MVC will have another MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT tomorrow.

Multiple sources, most importantly Paul Suellentrop's Twitter feed, say the MVC Women's Tournament is leaving St. Louis and moving north to the Quad Cities area of Moline, Illinois.

Not that it really matters, but smh.

John Deere has a lot of pull. Damn.

Comment

It apparently will be held in the 12,000 seat iWireless Center.

No it really doesn't make a lot of difference where they hold it but having it in a 12,000 seat arena actually takes away from the tournament.

It needs to be somewhere in a much smaller arena like Hartman.

Comment

I am usually not one to complain about the Valley but look at the records. The biggest crowds have been WSU games at the tourney and Elgin moves it farther away. I am starting to be anti-MVC.

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
          I am usually not one to complain about the Valley but look at the records. The biggest crowds have been WSU games at the tourney and Elgin moves it farther away. I am starting to be anti-MVC.
          I don't know the politics behind this. I do know back in my day UCLA (Men) received many privileges and geography didn't matter. In this case it seems the majority matters and geography does matter. Not enough money I suppose on a Shox women's game to make a difference.

Comment

Article in today's Eagle. Apparently, the Valley is looking for a place that will show them some love.

Comment

Why do they continually mention 12,000 seats when the largest ever attendence is under 2,000?

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                Why do they continually mention 12,000 seats when the largest ever attendence is under 2,000?
                No kidding. Even Hartman arena would be too big. This event could be held at a really nice smaller college school gym. Why go to the trouble to book a huge arena. The women's tournament really needs to be rotating around the Valley. Regular season champ hosts. It makes no sense to have it in a giant arena, almost the size of Intrust Bank Arena.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                  No kidding. Even Hartman arena would be too big. This event could be held at a really nice smaller college school gym. Why go to the trouble to book a huge arena. The women's tournament really needs to be rotating around the Valley. Regular season champ hosts. It makes no sense to have it in a giant arena, almost the size of Intrust Bank Arena.
                  They will cordon off the upper-bowl. Not sure what that makes it. Looking at the seating chart it looks like there may be about an equal amount of seating in the lower bowl and the upper bowl.

Still they don't really need that big of an arena. I doubt that they generate a whole lot of revenue from ticket sales regardless of where they hold the tournament. I assume the primary revenue is from televising the championship game. So from that standpoint it may not matter a lot where you hold the tournament as long as you can adequately accommodate TV for the championship game. Another factor I suppose is how a venue and a community will promote and support the tournament. St. Charles apparently fell short in that regard. And my guess is this is a much nicer arena and venue than what they had in St. Charles.

I don't have any issues with this move. We'll see how it goes.

If nothing else, fans attending can stop by Antique Archeology to see if the American Pickers (Mike and Frank) are around a check out Danielle's tattoos.

Comment

If anyone does travel to the tournament in Moline and if you have never been to the Amana Colonies I would recommend you incorporate a visit into your plans. It's about 80 miles west of Moline.

Discover the charm of Amana Colonies tours in Amana, IA. Immerse in history and culture with our guided tours. Book now for an unforgettable journey!
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 19, 2014, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      If anyone does travel to the tournament in Moline and if you have never been to the Amana Colonies I would recommend you incorporate a visit into your plans. It's about 80 miles west of Moline.

http://amanacolonies.com/
                      It's been about 50 years since I lived near Cedar Rapids for 3 years and I'm sure things have changed a great deal in the Amanas, but used to love when we'd have company from out of town or special events and it meant going to the Ox Yoke Inn for family style dinner. I'd love it even more now that they have a craft brewery in town.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                        It's been about 50 years since I lived near Cedar Rapids for 3 years and I'm sure things have changed a great deal in the Amanas, but used to love when we'd have company from out of town or special events and it meant going to the Ox Yoke Inn for family style dinner. I'd love it even more now that they have a craft brewery in town.
                        I can't really remember how long ago it was when we visited the Amana Colonies. I do remember having a beer at the brewery however. It was quite good. I think I had a Windmill Wheat. 15 years ago maybe. Something like that. The history is very interesting.

Comment

While Wichita is the Air Capital the I-80 corridor between Des Moines and Iowa City must be the appliance capital.

Amana Appliances (now owned by Whirlpool) has its roots, as you would expect, in the Amana Colonies (Middle Amana to be exact) and 70 miles west in Newton, IA we find the home of Maytag Corporation.

Comment

Working...
                          X