Shocker Softball - Offseason News & Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Softball - Offseason News & Reports

Utility player Erin Carney, an All-MVC pick in 2013, missed the season with a knee injury and will return for her senior season. Bredbenner would like to add a junior-college pitcher this summer to go with five high school seniors signed in November. Senior third baseman Ali Vandever started 53 games and hit .233. Senior pitcher Sloan Anderson went 12-12 with a 3.54 ERA.

“We played so many young kids,” she said. “We’re playing a much tougher schedule next year, so that’s something where they’re going to have to have their hats on right away.”

WSU will play in tournaments at Baylor, Texas, Long Beach State and in Clearwater, Fla., in an upgraded non-conference schedule.

You can check out one of those incoming freshmen pitchers on Wednesday at Goddard as Kelsey Sterneker will have her hands full in two excellent HS teams in Valley Center and Goddard if she wants to get to state. Yes, Coach B needs to find a JUCO pitcher, but I don't see any in Kansas that can do the job for them presently that aren't committed. Get the Sam's out to Calif. :)

And I like that upgraded schedule. Progression is good.

Comment

Sternecker

Kelsey & her team beat Goddard, 4-3 several days ago, but I don't know how they did after that

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
        Kelsey & her team beat Goddard, 4-3 several days ago, but I don't know how they did after that
        Goddard was 21-0. Were they #1 in the state at the time? According to this article, Maize South also beat Valley Center and will compete in State this week against Mill Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Goddard was 21-0. Were they #1 in the state at the time? According to this article, Maize South also beat Valley Center and will compete in State this week against Mill Valley.
          From the article:

Maize South senior pitcher Kelsey Sterneker, who threw all 14 innings of the two regional games, opened the regional championship by striking out two. But the Lions got the game’s first run off an error that allowed Miranda Rohleder to score.

In the third, Goddard added two more runs off a Rohleder double.

“When you jump on a team like that early, you’ve got to keep putting the pressure on,” Smith said. “We didn’t score after the third inning, right?”

Sterneker gave up two hits over the final four innings and struck out seven in the game.

Also, a very good video interview with Kelsey after the Goddard game.

Comment

Goddard was ranked No.2 at the time. At no time this year did BC lose their No. 1 position as three time defending champions. BC has seven girls in the lineup who could end up at a D-1 down the line. I clocked Haffner at 64 and Finney at 68 in their regional. Each hit a whopper of a dinger also.

Interesting Kansas tibbit. Both Kelsey Stewart and Alex Hugo were named first team All SEC as well as first team AA. Kind of like two of the All-SEC team being out of Kansas. With at least five more headed to the SEC in the next couple years.......... Also, a Javelin thrower out of Ark City finished second in the SEC javelin I'm told.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen View Post
              Alex Hugo [was] named first team All SEC
              She went one year to KU before transferring to Georgia, wanting to be pushed by the competition available in the SEC.

Comment

Working...
              X