Shocker SB at Missouri State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at Missouri State

The Shockers travel to Springfield to play Missouri State a doubleheader on Tuesday beginning at 3pm to complete their partner-series. Other Valley teams will play single games today (Southern Illinois at Evansville, Indiana State at Loyola) and tomorrow (Bradley at Illinois State, Northern Iowa at Drake) to complete their series.

Not much has changed for the Bears since last week. They are now 7-11 in the Valley and are in sixth place. UNI run-ruled them twice last Friday before Missouri State won on Saturday behind a complete game and eleven strikeouts by Erin Streumph (although she did give up five runs). Chelsea Jones and Jessie Van Es are the other pitchers who see time in the circle. Ashley Brentz, Chelsea Jones, Bethany Sullinger and Heather Duckworth all have an OPS greater than .800.

For the Shocks, Brittany continues to be a monster in conference play with a BA of .542 and an OPS of 1.469 and four homers. Cacy is not far behind with .452 and 1.381 and six homers, while Liz is at .382 and 1.022. In the circle, Sloan has an ERA of 2.51 and a WHIP of 1.19 with Katie's numbers being 2.93 and 1.43. Jenni has made some solid contributions in relief lately. Also HCKB seems to have her quick hook working well when someone starts to struggle.

I was waiting for you. I took the easy route and just bumped your previous write-up of the MSU series from last week.

Comment

Forgive my stupidity, what is OPS, how should I look at it and what is a "good" OPS?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Forgive my stupidity, what is OPS, how should I look at it and what is a "good" OPS?
        On Base % Plus Slugging %

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          It is generally regarded as the best, simple measure of overall offensive ability, taking into account walks and power that a batting average does not. My observation is that an OPS above .900 is pretty good and above .800 is decent.

Comment

LiveStats for Game One and Game Two

Comment

Live video

Looks like Blue is squeezing us early.

Comment

They must train softball umpires to make the call verbally, wait a second and then, if it was a strike, give the raised right hand. Seems like they all do I the same way. Personally, it drives me nuts.

Comment

That was a sweet stroke Liz put on that pitch. Three-run homer as the Shocks draw first blood.

Comment

Shocks hand MSU on of those runs back I the bottom of the 4th courtesy of the drop of an easy pop up by Avery in short CF. Could have been a lot worse as MSU loaded the bases and Brittany Fortner made a diving catch in left center that probably saved 2-runs.

Katie did not respond very well to the error by Avery.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      They must train softball umpires to make the call verbally, wait a second and then, if it was a strike, give the raised right hand. Seems like they all do I the same way. Personally, it drives me nuts.
                      Yeah, you definitely want to avoid the "str - foul" call or "ba - (swinging) strike" call.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Shocks hand MSU on of those runs back I the bottom of the 4th courtesy of the drop of an easy pop up by Avery in short CF. Could have been a lot worse as MSU loaded the bases and Brittany Fortner made a diving catch in left center that probably saved 2-runs.

Katie did not respond very well to the error by Avery.
                        Ashley

Comment

In the Shocker fifth, Ashley walked, Cacy was hit by a pitch and after a sac bunt, Brittany doubled them home. A pitching change got the Bears out of the inning. Shocks, 5-1 in the middle of the fifth.

After a lead-off single in the Bear fifth, some terrible base running on a hump-back liner to short results in a double play. 5-1 after five complete.
                          Last edited by flyingMoose; April 22, 2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                            In the Shocker fifth, Ashley walked, Cacy was hit by a pitch and after a sac bunt, Brittany doubled them home. A pitching change got the Bears out of the inning. Shocks, 5-1 in the middle of the fifth.

After a lead-off single in the Bear fifth, some terrible base running on a hump-back liner to short results in a double play. 5-1 after five complete.
                            Nice job by Brittany going with the pitch on that double as MSU was definitely trying to stay away.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                              Yeah, you definitely want to avoid the "str - foul" call or "ba - (swinging) strike" call.
                              Doesn't seem to be a problem in baseball, not sure why it would be in softball. You obviously don't make the call before the ball is in the catcher's glove in any case.

Comment

Working...
                              X