No announcement yet.

Shocker SB at Drake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are good, and it gets in the paper so people can read about it, they will come. :)
    When they come, they will understand they were missing a great game, and will tell others about it.
    When more come, and more $ comes in, the coaches will be able to recruit players who can compete in the Big 12, not just the Valley.
    Then, they will have something.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovpen View Post
      If you are good, and it gets in the paper so people can read about it, they will come. :)
      When they come, they will understand they were missing a great game, and will tell others about it.
      When more come, and more $ comes in, the coaches will be able to recruit players who can compete in the Big 12, not just the Valley.
      Then, they will have something.
      I'm curious @Hovpen:, what does having more money coming into the program have to do with an ability to recruit players who can compete in the Big12 and not just the Valley? I'm not being a smartass, I am genuinely interested in your knowledge. If I understand you correctly, there are a lot of local girls that are capable of playing and winning anywhere....recruiting in a 150 radius can't be that expensive, and I have to think we have the resources to do that now. What am I missing?

Thanks

Comment

Are you kidding? First place after 45 games and they have gotten two articles in the local paper. A normal reader probably doesn't even know they have a team.

No, recruiting in a 150 mile radius can't be too expensive, but outside of coach Lamb and the volleyball program, and Rainboldt and the track team, who does it?
        The WBB has two local JUCO transfers now beginning next year and sb will have one each from Mulvane and Maize South and Bishop Carroll along with this year's medical redshirt from Derby.

It would be nice to see the program go to the big tournaments and play a Florida, Notre Dame, Kansas, Pacific, OSU, Oklahoma, LSU, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, Nebraska, and a few others of that caliber and actually have a shot at winning. Is that goal in sight? (and local girls have attended or are headed to all those programs)

AS of now, WSU doesn't have a quality pitcher within that 150 mile radius and to compete at that level, they will need to go outside to get one. The coaches job is to make a pitcher that can be a difference maker want to come to WSU. That said, current pitching has done an excellent job this season in just plain getting better and staying in the game.

Right now, win out and this program has improved greatly. A CWS experience would do wonders for that pitching situation and maybe talk some boosters into putting a little money into the program for improvements. It's too bad that Valley softball gets only one qualifier although I really don't see a valley team that looks like a first round winner unless these Shockers can rock the boat.

The season is playing out nice at the moment for the players and staff. I hope they enjoy it to their fullest.

Hope ya had a great Easter.

Comment

I realize things can always get bigger, newer, fancier....but where do you think Wichita State softball needs to spend money and upgrade, and any idea of the costs?

Where do we stand, facilities wise, when compared to OSU, OU, KU and KSU?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            I realize things can always get bigger, newer, fancier....but where do you think Wichita State softball needs to spend money and upgrade, and any idea of the costs?

Where do we stand, facilities wise, when compared to OSU, OU, KU and KSU?
            Let's start by noting that K-State does not play softball.

Cowgirl Stadium at Oklahoma State

OU Softball Complex at Oklahoma

Arrocha Ballpark at Kansas, but a new facility is under construction at Rock Chalk Park

Right now, I won't take the time to compare the seating capacity, fan amenities, on-site practice areas (batting cages, etc) - and may not later, either. :)

Valley facilities for softball include:

Wilkins Stadium here at WSU

Killian Sports Complex at Missouri State

Buel Field at Drake

Marian Kneer Softball Stadium at Illinois State

Robinson-Dresser Sports Complex at Northern Iowa

Charlotte West Stadium at Southern Illinois

Generally speaking, we probably compare favorably with the "stadiums" in the Valley, but not so well with those in the Big 12.

Regarding our stadium, the spot of land we tried to wedge Wilkins on to led to a funky arrangement of the seating. I also find the press box at field level to be goofy. Supposedly, ADA required an elevator to an upper level press box, but I would like to know how other facilities addressed that issue. The umpire dressing room was designed when the NCAA used two-man crews, so I suspect it is pretty cramped for a three-man crew. But the coaches' offices, team areas and training room seem to be first rate.

I don't know how useful the Indoor Practice Facility is. Does it have a dirt infield in there somewhere? I doubt it, suspecting it really is a baseball facility but useful in some ways to other sports.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; April 21, 2014, 10:00 AM. Reason: added Valley info, corrected link

Comment

@flyingMoose: your Cowgirl Stadium link is taking us to the MVC Golf Championship live stats.

Comment

That's a big OOPS!! Thanks - corrected.

Comment

Brittany is Valley Player of the Week, and Cacy is Newcomer of the Week.

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

This release also documents team and individual statistics that are in the top 25 for the NCAA.

The Shockers are 24th in batting average, 22nd in doubles per game and 24th in slugging percentage. In individual stats, Sloan and Katie are T19th in saves, and Cacy is 25th in slugging percentage.

Comment

So why is there not some sort of awning or roof over the bleachers at Wilkins?

Comment

Chello? All you softball fanatics? Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                        So why is there not some sort of awning or roof over the bleachers at Wilkins?
                        That would be very out of the ordinary. See post #35 comparing Wilkins Stadium with other Midwest venues. College softball is played at a time of the year that shade is about the last thing that you want. With a skin infield you rarely play through even a light rain like you might on an artificial turf such as Tyler field at Eck Stadium. So there is really no need for a roof and with the minimal revenues softball generates at most schools you aren't going to spend any money that is not necessary.

Comment

Plus on a nice sunny day when you are out at the park in your shorts, the aluminum seats give you the chance to not only fry the front of your legs, but the backs also. Why would you want an awning to spoil that?

No, as @1972Shocker suggests, the expense of even covered partially covered seats would be too great. The ASA Hall of Fame Stadium that hosts the WCWS series is the only softball-specific stadium that I am aware of where even some of its seats are in the shade. And that is a stadium that is used throughout the summer and is funded by a national organization.
                          Last edited by flyingMoose; April 24, 2014, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I guess the WCWS is the stadium I keel picturing in my mind

Comment

Check out Baylor and Arkansas. Both have very nice stadiums with covered seating.

Comment

Originally posted by JayShocks View Post
                                Check out Baylor and Arkansas. Both have very nice stadiums with covered seating.
                                Yes, very nice. I have seen games telecast from Baylor but never had the sense of covered seating. Tennessee, Alabama, Florida - all sites which are on television a lot - and Texas and Georgia Tech - sites I have been at - are all without covered seating. Even at the big-bucks schools, partially-covered seating is uncommon.

Comment

Working...
                                X