How Bad Is It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Bad Is It?

If you want to get a perspective on how down (bad) MVC / WSU women's basketball is, just look at the WNIT pairings. SIU (1st in the MVC, 16-2 in conference) plays Stephen F. Austin out of the Southland. The winner then plays KSU (last in the Big 12, 4-12 in conference) who got a first round bye. Yes, I know the WNIT is still tied to $$$ and not true seedings, but the above info just about places the WSU women off the map. With our facilities and fan base, it shouldn't be that difficult to at least be competitive in the MVC. Opinions anyone??

:wsu_posters: :wsu_posters:

My opinion is it's time for the program to change directions. Jane Albright is a very nice lady, but doesn't seem to be getting the job done here. It is very hard to rally 'round a loser. Most likely, however, we'll have to wait at least 1 more season for a change.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
      My opinion is it's time for the program to change directions. Jane Albright is a very nice lady, but doesn't seem to be getting the job done here. It is very hard to rally 'round a loser. Most likely, however, we'll have to wait at least 1 more season for a change.

--'85.
      I agree. RPI 274 out of 336 teams. Bottom 20% in the nation.

I hope Jane and the team can turn it around next year, but I'm not terribly optimistic that that will happen.

Comment

Drake, the MVC's sole representative in the Women's NCAA Tourney is a #16 seed and gets Tennessee in its opening round game.

Yes, WSU should at the very least be competitive in what is, at best, a very average conference for Women's basektball at the present time.

Comment

The winner of the MVC got whipped by the last place team in the Big XII. Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Saulbadguy
            The winner of the MVC got whipped by the last place team in the Big XII. Ouch.
            Parity definitely has not found Women's basketball yet. SIU won its opening game 58-50 over Stephen F. Austin then were blown out by KSU 72-46.

Illinois State, the regular season runner-up in the MVC won its NIT opener in triple OT over Rice, then lost convincingly, 61-48, to South Dakota State in Round 2.

Drake vs Tennessee just starting but that could get ugly in a hurry.

Update: Tennessee doubles up Drake 76-37, about what you would expect. At least they did better than Prairie View who lost to North Carolina by a 95-38 score.

Comment

University of Washington dismisses relatively successful head coach:

The University of Washington has decided not to renew the contract of head women's basketball coach June Daugherty and her staff and will immediately conduct a national search for her replacement, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Todd Turner announced today.

The contracts of Daugherty and the women's basketball coaching staff, which consists of her husband, Mike, as well as Janet Soderberg and Kellie Lewis-Jay, expire on March 31. Turner and Sr. Associate Athletic Director Marie Tuite have begun the process to conduct a national search for a new coach to lead the Washington program.

In her 11 seasons as the head women's basketball coach at Washington, Daugherty compiled a 191-139 (.579) overall record and a 113-85 (.571) mark in Pacific-10 Conference play. She guided the Huskies to six NCAA Tournament appearances, including yesterday's 79-60 loss to Iowa State in the event's first round in Minneapolis, Minn. Prior to coming to Washington, Daugherty coached seven seasons at Boise State and has compiled a career record of 314-213 (.596) in 18 total seasons.

Comment

Missouri State's women's coach departs:

Not surprising at all considering how far this once proud program has fallen.

This probably improves the chances of MSU pulling past the Lady Shockers next year.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker

This probably improves the chances of MSU pulling past the Lady Shockers next year.
                  I'd say that depends heavily on who they get as the replacement.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter

Very true, but I was definitely not impressed with the performance of the outgoing Coach.

Despite their recent woes MSU probably conitinues to be the best coaching gig available for a Women's coach in the MVC. They appear to still have a large, passionate and faithful following for Women's BB. So the chances of attracting a good replacement is pretty good.

Who knows maybe they get Cheryl Burnett back.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter

Very true, but I was definitely not impressed with the performance of the outgoing Coach.

Despite their recent woes MSU probably conitinues to be the best coaching gig available for a Women's coach in the MVC. They appear to still have a large, passionate and faithful following for Women's BB. So the chances of attracting a good replacement is pretty good.

Who knows maybe they get Cheryl Burnett back.
                      You would think that they would have a chance to get a good coach, but they had even more going for them when they hired Coach Abe.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Good point. I did think that it was a little odd that it took 3 weeks since the end of MSU season for this to occur.

Comment

Working...
                        X