Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New arena for womens basketball and volleyball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New arena for womens basketball and volleyball?

I have always thought that a new 4500 or so seat arena would be awesome for those programs. Especially volleyball as they could have a volleyball specific court that not having iirc has cost us the chance to host certain events. With both programs on the upswing, does anyone think now is the time to look at something like this? It would provide a much better atmosphere for both programs and offer a recruiting carrot that a lot of regional schools couldn't match. Obviously if there is a huge game the event could be moved to Koch. Thoughts? Oh and in before the "write the check" brigade shows up...

Hartman Arena II?

Comment

While a separate arena would have certain advantages, it is relatively low on my priority list for the simple reason that Koch is a good venue for both sports. If Koch was a 15,000+ seat arena, the atmosphere would be dead for volleyball and women's basketball. As is, while it certainly doesn't rival a men's game, those sports don't feel overpowered by the venue IMHO.

Given the fact that we got the in-floor net system for Koch, one of the major obstacles to hosting certain events is gone. There obviously are more scheduling conflict when WBB, MBB, and VB all play in the same arena, so have two arenas could help a little, but I'm not sure how important that really is in the big picture.

The other big issue is that I really like on-campus venues and creating a separate one for the women raises the question of where it goes.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
        The other big issue is that I really like on-campus venues and creating a separate one for the women raises the question of where it goes.
        That is the biggest issue for me. There is no place to put such an arena on campus until the golf stadium gets reduced, and then the question will be why put in a new women's basketball/volleyball arena instead of new dorms or campus buildings. Ultimately, I don't think it is worth the expense, given that the current set-up seems to work well and probably helps the attendance somewhat.

Comment

Working...
        X