Smith thrown out tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith thrown out tonight

For those of you that might be interested, former WSU and current Butler County womens basketball coach Darryl Smith was ejected from todays Region VI playoff game against Seward County. He was given his second technical with about 10:05 to go in the game, after berating all 3 officials the entire game. I know some of you like his coaching style and the fact that he wins a lot more than he loses, but would WSU really want to bring him back if they decide to get rid of Jane? We'd have to worry about him getting kicked out of every single game.

Re: Smith thrown out tonight

Originally posted by shockerfanmas
    For those of you that might be interested, former WSU and current Butler County womens basketball coach Darryl Smith was ejected from todays Region VI playoff game against Seward County. He was given his second technical with about 10:05 to go in the game, after berating all 3 officials the entire game. I know some of you like his coaching style and the fact that he wins a lot more than he loses, but would WSU really want to bring him back if they decide to get rid of Jane? We'd have to worry about him getting kicked out of every single game.
    Why did they fire him anyway? I just thought it was because he wore those cheesy tight ribbed t-shirts all the time Really though, why did they fire him?
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I would bet that his coaching style and the way he acts towards his players and officials has something to do with it

Comment

I know some of you like his coaching style and the fact that he wins a lot more than he loses
        That and the fact that you can tell your team has a coach in the building.

Comment

I enjoyed visiting with Coach Smith while he was at WSU but there is absolutely no way in h e double toothpicks he will ever coach here again.

This is a silly discussion, which it seems I am contributing to, and it should come to an end right now.

Comment

he was also having an inappropriate relationship with a member of the team

Comment

You mean like Pokey Chapman at LSU? I havent heard that about Smith. Basically it was three players that got him fired, because of playing time and he was hard on them. Jane had trouble with a couple of the players the very next yr. Players trying to run the the show instead of the coach. Smith wouldnt have any of that.

Comment

Smith had plenty of issues. That's why he'll never be back.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

i know darrell somewhat...i like him. i don't think he'd have a ghost of a chance of coming back, nor would he want to.

Comment

Naw, no way could I see him having an inapprorpriate relationship with a student

Comment

Originally posted by InWuWeTrust
                      he was also having an inappropriate relationship with a member of the team
                      I agree with Shockerfanmas, that's just not characteristic of Smith. Now why do we have to go on this board and say things that we don't know are true?

Comment

With a player. .just a pure dumb a@@ comment. His off the court behavior was not the best, but nothing like that. I believe on a bad day he his better than what we have now.
                        By the way, why is okay for GS or MT to yell at players and officials, but not our girls coach?

Comment

Coach Smith was not hired by Jim Schaus and all AD's want their own coaches in place. Period. He did have trouble with some players who retaliated and ended up causing trouble for other coaches (one had caused trouble for a coach pre-Smith) but he did not have an inappropriate relationship with a player. To say otherwise is incorrect and untrue. There could be any number of reasons why is was let go but that would not be one of them. He's never hidden his coaching style and from what I read, Butler was in it most of the game with the championship machine that is Seward so whatever he's doing is working.

Comment

Smith is gone. Who cares about this topic? Drop it!!
                            (When I look at new posts on SN, I see Women's Sports has a new post and go there. Maybe Jane is gone? Maybe a post about women's tennis? women's bowling? track & field? WBB recruits? NO! It's a post about Darryl Smith. Why?? Who ... cares? Is this a soap opera? Have people not gotten over their hurt feelings? :roll: )
                            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

boyshocker, There is absolutely nothing wrong with a little yelling at the officials, but you have to understand something about Darryl Smith.. He may very well be the Bobby Knight of womens basketball. I would bet you that he's been kicked out of more games than WSU's last 3 womens coaches combined. He is a great coach, don't get me wrong, but his demeanor towards his players and officials leaves a little bit to be desired.

Spanglerfan316, Nobody is forcing you to read these topics and posts if you don't want to. Some people like hearing about our former coaches and players at WSU, sorry if you don't. But people have the right to post about anything they want. If you don't like it, don't read it, simple as that.

Comment

Working...
                              X