2013-14 MVC WBB Post Season Honors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013-14 MVC WBB Post Season Honors

Congrats to Alex Harden, Michelle Price and Jamillah Bonner for raking in Valley post-season honors:

WICHITA, Kan.- For the first time since 1999-00 and for only the second time in school history, three Shockers landed on the All-Missouri Valley Conference First Team.

Note in WBB team they have a 10-member + ties First Team and no 2nd team.

I anticipate Alex will be named Valley POY tomorrow. She probably deserves to be the Valley Defensive Player of the Year as well but I will be shocked if that actually happens. My guess is that will go to Tyonna Snow of will get that award. I anticipate Evansville Sara Dickey will be FOY. Not sure if Loyola Sr. Troy Hambric qualifies as a newcomer, but if she does she will probably get that award. If she doesn't qualify then I'm thinking Bilqis Adbud-Qaadir of Indiana State will get it . And I think Indiana State's coach, Teri Moren, will get COY. We'll see how good I do.

Also kudos to Kelsey Jacobs for be selected yesterday as an MVC 2nd-Team Scholar Athlete honoree:

WICHITA, Kan.- Wichita State women's basketball student-athlete Kelsey Jacobs has been named to the Missouri Valley Conference Scholar-Athlete Second Team, the conference office announced today.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Fantastic!! Now let's get the most important award. MVC Tourney Champs!!!!

Comment

Missouri Valley Conference specialty awards for Player, Newcomer, Freshman and Defensive Player of the Year will be announced, in addition to the league’s Coach of the Year, at an awards ceremony in between Games 1 and 2 of the MVC Tournament on Thursday, March 13, at The Family Arena in St. Charles, Mo.

Comment

Alex is Defensive Player of the Year. Kyndal Clark of Drake is the Jackie Stiles Player of the Year, and Coach of the Year is Tanya Warren of UNI.

Comment

What a joke picking Kyndal Clark over Alex Harden as the MVC Player of the Year. Loved the way Clark led the Bulldogs to that fantastic 15-14 record and 9-9 in the 18th ranked conference in the nation. Way to go POY. That is more that a little bit disturbing. Why does the Valley even bother keeping score. Just give everyone a participation medal, pat them on the back and send them home.

Too bad Drake is not in our bracket. The only way we get them is if we both make the championship game, something I do not expect Drake to do.

Let's just do a simple comparison of Alex and Clark in the two games where they faced each other:

Clark: 27 Points (7-24 FG's + 6-8 FT's) + 9 Rbds + 4 Assists - 7 Turnovers + 1 Block + 3 Steals in 72 minutes.

Alex: 43 Points (16-29 FG's + 7-8 FT's) + 13 Rbds + 16 Assists - 2 Turnovers + 4 Blocks + 5 Steals in 69 minutes.

Alex lead her team to a Valley Co-Championship plus an overall record of 23-6.

Granted Clark lead the Valley in scoring (in Conference games) at 21.5 points per game compared to 18.5 points for Alex who was 3rd in scoring but she is no where close to Alex as an overall player. Alex had 88 assists in conference games to 58 for Clark. Alex averaged 6.2 rebounds per game while Clark isn't in the top 20. Alex shot 49.2% from the field and 86.5% from the line. Clark shot 45.6% from the field and is not in the top 20 in FT % (that would only take 66.7% to be in the Top 20). Alex is 2nd in the league in teals at 2.6 per game vs 2.2 per game for Clark. Alex is 4th in the league in blocked shots at 1.4 per game. Clark again didn't make the Top 20 which would require 0.5 blocks per game. Clark played 36.2 minutes per game and Alex played 35.6 minutes per game. Alex is easily the Valley's best defensive player. Clark is not on the All-Defensive team.

I doubt that this bothers Alex as much as it bugs me, but I'm pissed. This just isn't right in any way, shape or form and it certainly reflects poorly on the Missouri Valley Conference.

Hopefully, this will serve is a catalyst to Alex and her teammates to kick some Valley ass in the tournament. That's about the only positive aspect about it.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 13, 2014, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Just another reason, not that we really need more reasons, to find a new conference for the Shocks. We don't want to be in the Valley and it's pretty clear the Valley really doesn't want the Shocks. Let's get this done Eric.

Comment

#PostAngry

Comment

What a joke picking Kyndal Clark over Alex Harden as the MVC Player of the Year. Loved the way Clark led the Bulldogs to that fantastic 15-14 record and 9-9 in the 18th ranked conference in the nation. Way to go POY. That is more that a little bit disturbing. Why does the Valley even bother keeping score. Just give everyone a participation medal, pat them on the back and send them home.

Too bad Drake is not in our bracket. The only way we get them is if we both make the championship game, something I do not expect Drake to do.

Let's just do a simple comparison of Alex and Clark in the two games where they faced each other:

Clark: 27 Points (7-24 FG's + 6-8 FT's) + 9 Rbds + 4 Assists - 7 Turnovers + 1 Block + 3 Steals in 72 minutes.

Alex: 43 Points (16-29 FG's + 7-8 FT's) + 13 Rbds + 16 Assists - 2 Turnovers + 4 Blocks + 5 Steals in 69 minutes.

Granted Clark lead the Valley in scoring (in Conference games) at 21.5 points per game compared to 18.5 points for Alex who was 3rd in scoring but she is no where close to Alex as an overall player. Alex had 88 assists in conference games to 58 for Clark. Alex averaged 6.2 rebounds per game while Clark isn't in the top 20. Alex shot 49.2% from the field and 86.5% from the line. Clark shot 45.6% from the field and is not in the top 20 in FT % (that would only take 66.7% to be in the Top 20). Alex is 2nd in the league in teals at 2.6 per game vs 2.2 per game for Clark. Alex is 4th in the league in blocked shots at 1.4 per game. Clark again didn't make the Top 20 which would require 0.5 blocks per game. Clark played 36.2 minutes per game and Alex played 35.6 minutes per game. Alex is easily the Valley's best defensive player. Clark is not on the All-Defensive team.

I doubt that this bothers Alex as much as it bugs me, but I'm pissed. This just isn't right in any way, shape or form and it certainly reflects poorly on the Missouri Valley Conference.

Hopefully, this will serve is a catalyst to Alex and her teammates to kick some Valley ass in the tournament. That's about the only positive aspect about it.
                  Not going to see the voting totals on this one, are we?

Comment

I know, in the past, Jody has been willing to use things like this to play the disrespect card and motivate the team. My sense is that Alex plays with maximum intensity every game no matter what, but I do think we might see some teammates crank it up a notch. I think last year there was a sense that Dapprich got overlooked on the all freshmen team and she came out and had a great tournament. If I was a team playing on WSU's side of the bracket, I would not be happy that Harden was not named POY.
                    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Congratulations to Alex Harden on her well-deserved selection to the College Sports Madness High-Major All-American 1st Team. Also congratulations to Drake's Lizzy Wendell for her selection as the High-Major Freshman of the Year, also well-deserved IMHO.

But how can this be? Drake's Kyndal Clark, the Valley POY, did not join Alex on the 1st team. Nor was she on the 2nd team, nor 3rd team nor 4th team.

Hmmm! Either The CSM voters don't know what they are doing or the Valley voters don't know what they are doing. I think the answer to that question is more than obvious.

Comment

College Sports Madness:

National Women's Basketball 2013-14 All-American Teams

High-Major Women's Basketball 2013-14 All-American Teams

Mid-Major Women's Basketball 2013-14 All-American Teams

MVC Women's Basketball 2013-14 All-Conference Teams

Not where and how they draw the line between National/High-Major/Mid-Major.

Comment

Top 100 WBB Attendance 2013-14.

Shocks just do squeeze into the Top 50 tied with Auburn at #49.

Valley schools in the Top 100:
                          #37 Missouri State (2,977)
                          #48 Drake (2,456)
                          #49 Wichita State (2,426)
                          #52 Northern Iowa (2,403)
                          #54 Indiana State (2,343)
                          #98 Bradley (1,422)

K-State was at #21 (4,484) and KU was at#62 (2,103).

Now if we could Valley teams could just get their RPI numbers to match their attendance rankings.

Comment

Working...
                          X