Tough questions for you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough questions for you.

Since I'm not from around your area regarding the Valley conference, I wanted to ask the following...

Is everyone who posts here all on the same page (in agreement) when it comes to what makes a successful team/coach in the Valley (or similiar Mid-Major) conference, in order for head coaches to keep their jobs?

Given subsequent 5 year periods, how successful must a Valley (Mid-Major) team/coach be without some fan(s) coming out and saying "I want more"?

Starting with 2007 and ending in 2012, for example...

How many winning seasons does a team/coach need? 2? 3? All 5?

As long as the team is competitive, how many competitive losses can you endure?

How many conference championships should a team/coach win?

How many conference tourney wins? Tournament championships?

How many post, post-season appearances? (WNIT, NCAA)

What, in these questions, is enough to make everyone happy?

I look forward to your replies.

I don't think you can answer the questions as they are stated. Are we talking about a program at the bottom of the league in flux and having to start completely over or are we talking about a program that a coach has left at the top of the conference with a lot in place. Are we talking about a school who puts money into the program or are we talking about one were they only put what they have to in? I'd expect a coach to have a lot more success at Missouri State or Wichita State then I would at Evansville for example simply because of the resources avaliable.

Comment

Ok. Fair enough.

Choose any team from any Mid-Major conference. (Doesn't really matter which team and it doesn't really matter which Mid-Major conference. Stay in the Valley if you want, but it's not the point of the questions.)

Choose any 5 year period. Choose 2013-2018 if you want instead of 2007-2012. Or 2010-2015. Doesn't matter either. Just a 5 year period. I also want to focus on 5 years only, not on anything that may have happened prior to the 5 year period chosen.

The Mid-Major team has any old coaching staff of various talents, any number of talented players at various levels of talent, and the available necessary resources to compete at the level you want them to.

Given the questions I asked to start this:

What, in your opinions, is enough for you to consider your team a sucess in that 5 year period, given the fact your team is from a Mid-Major conference?

Does this make things clearer?

What is enough success for you without resorting to ask for more from the team, or for the "head" (a.k.a. termination) of the head coach and/or the staff?

Comment

I'd be happy with a national championship (ala 1989 Shocker baseball). ;-)

I doubt that your question has an answer; you would have to ask the AD in charge to get the answer.

As for fans, a part of the answer might be:
        1. Show steady improvement (or remain at the top of the conference).
        2. Don't embarrass the university (e.g. picked to finish second and finish ninth).
        3. Don't lose your team.
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

1. Represent the University with class throughout the program.
          2. Graduate the kids or at least make sure they are on track to graduate.
          3. Manage a clean porgram that is looked up to throughout the community.
          4. Seriously compete at least for a conference championship at least once or at least show improvement and be in the top half of the league.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
            I'd be happy with a national championship (ala 1989 Shocker baseball). ;-)

I doubt that your question has an answer; you would have to ask the AD in charge to get the answer.

As for fans, a part of the answer might be:
            1. Show steady improvement (or remain at the top of the conference).
            2. Don't embarrass the university (e.g. picked to finish second and finish ninth).
            3. Don't lose your team.
            I'm not asking the AD, I'm asking posters opinions and trying to spark debate. As for the AD, what makes you (the fans) happy and get you into the seats will make the AD happy.

There are no real answers. It's all opinions I'm looking for. That and trying to see how many of you are really near or on the same page (or wavelength, if you prefer...) regarding what success is for a Mid-Major women's basketball program.

Comment

I'd say Spangler and WuDrWu are pretty much on the money. I'd also say their points hold for most sports, especially non-revenue sports. The bar is set higher for the high-profile sports.

Honestly, I have a really hard time watching the level of women's basketball in the MVC. There are few really good athletes and maybe even fewer good coaches. It is raggedy basketball and I can't watch it. At this point, WSU women's basketball needs to stop dragging down the overall level of the athletics department (i.e. all-sports trophy).

If you're looking for some magic numbers to answer your questions, there aren't any. Different situations have different demands.

--'85.
              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Here at WSU I feel they should finish in the upper half of the conference and compete for the title every few years.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                X