Final Home Game vs. MSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Yes. Did not get the help we were hoping for. UNI won easily at home over Illinois State as expected. I had hoped Drake might be able to beat Indiana State in Des Moines but they fell just short losing to the Sycamores 73-71.

So, yeah the best we can do is a co-championship with the winner of Saturday's game between Indiana State and Northern Iowa if we can beat Missouri State on Sunday.

No other way to describe the Shockers late season swoon as anything but a huge disappointment. Hopefully, we can right the ship.
    I saw some of team leaving Koch after my brisk walk on the track. They said they are ready to roll, but very tired.

Comment

Indiana State wins 85-72 at Northern Iowa today to clinch at least a tie for the Valley regular season championship at 14-4.

It is simple now. The Shocks win tomorrow they are Co-Champs. If the Shocks lose they tie UNI for 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
        I saw some of team leaving Koch after my brisk walk on the track. They said they are ready to roll, but very tired.
        Talked to few of the ladies during the NJCAA tourney this weekend as they were coming and going to the training room after practice. Said practices had been very tough, but that they were just ready to play and get the taste of recent games out of their mouth. We are definitely fighting some nagging injuries. Their is disappointment in the fact that the best they can do is share the title after they had a big lead before.
        Really pulling for the girls this weekend. No one feels worse about losing the lead than they do, and I tried to convey to those I know that a share is much more than we've had for a lot of our history and that they are still a part of the best teams WSU Women's basketball has ever had. Really good kids off the court and its unfortunate a lot of fans will be glued to the men's game so the ladies will get overlooked some tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
          Talked to few of the ladies during the NJCAA tourney this weekend as they were coming and going to the training room after practice. Said practices had been very tough, but that they were just ready to play and get the taste of recent games out of their mouth. We are definitely fighting some nagging injuries. Their is disappointment in the fact that the best they can do is share the title after they had a big lead before.
          Really pulling for the girls this weekend. No one feels worse about losing the lead than they do, and I tried to convey to those I know that a share is much more than we've had for a lot of our history and that they are still a part of the best teams WSU Women's basketball has ever had. Really good kids off the court and its unfortunate a lot of fans will be glued to the men's game so the ladies will get overlooked some tomorrow.
          unfortnately not much positive is coming their way from coaches. Read the Eagle. When you're down, keeping you down doesn't help matters. I always appreciate coaches who take the hit in public for their team when it's not going well and gives credit to the kids when it goes well. We all hope this nice group of young women can get out of this funk.

Comment

Congrats to the Lady Shocks on a dominating 93-56 win over Missouri State to claim there 2nd consecutive Valley Co-Championship.

Many kudos to Michelle Price for her 5 years as a Shocker. I doubt that we have ever had a player put more effort forth than Michelle. She is one of those Graham Hatch-type players who got the absolute most she could out of her God-given talent.

The only thing I am scratching my head about is why Moriah gets 1minute and Valerierose, Marissa and Kayla can't even get on the floor in a 40 minute blowout. Perhaps some injuries in play there, but that seemed odd to me. Maybe others have some inside information in that regards.

In any case, good luck to the Ladies in St. Charles next week.

Comment

Congrats ladies. Looks like you got some swagger back. Let's take it to the tournament.
              The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
                Congrats ladies. Looks like you got some swagger back. Let's take it to the tournament.
                Great team and great coaches. Should do well in St. Charles. Coach Crawford calling #32 a mother ****er for accidentally elbowing #44 was classless as was Adams leaving starters in with 35 point lead until 2 minutes left. Great coaches with low character best describes the Lady Shockers coaching staff.
                Last edited by big55fred; March 10, 2014, 08:30 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by big55fred View Post
                  Great team and great coaches. Should do well in St. Charles. Coach Crawford calling #32 a mother ****er for accidentally elbowing #44 was classless as was Adams leaving starters in with 35 point lead until 2 minutes left. Great coaches with low character best describes the Lady Shockers coaching staff.
                  Sorry that you didn't enjoy the game. Glad you could get that off your chest. I know that being a Bear's women's BB fan right now must be frustrating.
                  The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

The classless thing was the team who committed two flagrant fouls include elbowing a player in the face in a blowout. It was in no way an accident. I've watched the replay numerous times and #32 clearly intentionally throws the elbow to knock Michaela out the the way. There is an argument that she didn't mean to land the blow to the head, and I can buy that, but she was clearly trying to knock her aside to get to the outside shooter.

Calling the other coaching staff classless for being angry about that is ridiculous. The classless coach is the one that left said offending player in the game after the flagrant foul and has that player trap the ball and commit another foul when we were just trying to run out the clock with a 40 point lead. Those kinds of moves are what create injuries and potentially incite fights in blow out games, but I guess MSU is lucky that WSU coaches instill more discipline in our players than MSU coaches do in theirs.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising that with such bush league actions by the MSU coaching staff, you would get a blame the victim reaction by their followers. How about you try not throwing multiple elbows to the heads of our players and see if you like the reaction of our coaching staff any more?
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

They have followers, plural?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                        The classless thing was the team who committed two flagrant fouls include elbowing a player in the face in a blowout. It was in no way an accident. I've watched the replay numerous times and #32 clearly intentionally throws the elbow to knock Michaela out the the way. There is an argument that she didn't mean to land the blow to the head, and I can buy that, but she was clearly trying to knock her aside to get to the outside shooter.

Calling the other coaching staff classless for being angry about that is ridiculous. The classless coach is the one that left said offending player in the game after the flagrant foul and has that player trap the ball and commit another foul when we were just trying to run out the clock with a 40 point lead. Those kinds of moves are what create injuries and potentially incite fights in blow out games, but I guess MSU is lucky that WSU coaches instill more discipline in our players than MSU coaches do in theirs.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising that with such bush league actions by the MSU coaching staff, you would get a blame the victim reaction by their followers. How about you try not throwing multiple elbows to the heads of our players and see if you like the reaction of our coaching staff any more?
                        Apparently no one on this forum has a problem with a coach calling a player a ************ or a coach leaving her starters in a 35 point blowout. WOW! The MSU coach did error in not taking that palyer out immediately but that was poor judgement not a lack of class. The foul was totally accidental and the game officials informed the WSU staff of such. The rule now on flagrant fouls has nothing to do with whether a player accidentally elbows a player. Both players were being aggressive and the WSU girl caught an elbow. By the way she was in the game as a starter in a 35 point blowout. I take it that not even one single WSU fan is troubled by the MF comment by the coach or playing starters with 2 minutes left in a 35 point game. And the fact that Adams would even hire Dana after what transpired at SIU with her seniors speaks volumes about Adams. I have talked to many fans arond the MVC. Most have no respect for the character of WSU's coaching staff. Nor do the high school coaches in Kansas have any respect for her character. Just ask a few of them. So you all condone and applaud calling a player on an opposing team a MF. By the way that player is one of the nicest, kindest and classy players in the MVC. Check out her Twitter page. She has also appeared in a TV series and dates NBA star Bradley Beal. KSU will probably not hire Adams. Word on her character is out and so you are stuck with her, agreat coach but a terrible pathetic human being.
                        Last edited by big55fred; March 11, 2014, 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Apparently no one on this forum has a problem with a coach calling a player a ************ or a coach leaving her starters in a 35 point blowout. WOW! The MSU coach did error in not taking that palyer out immediately but that was poor judgement not a lack of class. The foul was totally accidental and the game officials informed the WSU staff of such. The rule now on flagrant fouls has nothing to do with whether a player accidentally elbows a player. Both players were being aggressive and the WSU girl caught an elbow. By the way she was in the game as a starter in a 35 point blowout. I take it that not even one single WSU fan is troubled by the MF comment by the coach or playing starters with 2 minutes left in a 35 point game. And the fact that Adams would even hire Dana after what transpired at SIU with her seniors speaks volumes about Adams. I have talked to many fans arond the MVC. Most have no respect for the character of WSU's coaching staff. Nor do the high school coaches in Kansas have any respect for her character. Just ask a few of them. So you all condone and applaud calling a player on an opposing team a MF. By the way that player is one of the nicest, kindest and classy players in the MVC. Check out her Twitter page. She has also appeared in a TV series and dates NBA star Bradley Beal. KSU will probably not hire Adams. Word on her character is out and so you are stuck with her, agreat coach but a terrible pathetic human being.
                          The fact that you claim a WSU coach did something does not make it true. You are operating from the assumption that your version of events is accurate. I was at the game and I did not hear Coach Crawford say this. I could have missed it. However, the fact that the officials did not react suggest that it didn't happen the way you think. If an official had heard him do this, they would have called a technical foul. They were a lot closer to the action than anyone else.

EDIT: WSU has been playing poorly of late and I have no problem with Adams keeping the starters in and trying to get some momentum going into t he Valley tournament. That is her primary job; not keeping MSU fans from being embarrassed by the margin of victory. If you don't want to get blown out, play better. WSU fans have long memories of lean years when 1st place SwoMo teams kept their starters in and ran up the score. The difference is that we decided that was our problem not yours. We got a coach that helped us play better. Problem solved.
                          Last edited by tgcshock; March 11, 2014, 11:16 AM. Reason: Additional Comment

Comment

I don't follow the women's team that close and didn't see the game, but I can point out a few things regarding the minutes played. For the most part, Adams has gone with primarily 6 players, all above 23 mpg. Time played then drops to 12 mpg or less. One of the primary 6, played 10 minutes less than her average due to a nagging injury. #7 in minutes played 5 minutes more than normal and 2 players, who would be 8th and 9th in total minutes played, both averaging 10 mpg, did not play at all (don't know if injury or coaches decision). One player, that had played a total of 57 minutes for the season, played 15 in this game. My guess is that there was a limited number of players to play certain positions. Thus the starters played more minutes than they normally would have in this situation.

As for as what was "said", I wasn't there. If it was said, it was probably a heat of the moment thing. I'm sure we'd all have rather it not been said, again, if it was at all. Regardless, the refs did nothing.

Dana on the staff has baffled myself and many others on this board since she was hired. I don't believe many have changed their opinion on that hiring over time either. That's not our call.

Comment

Apparently no one on this forum has a problem with a coach calling a player a ************ or a coach leaving her starters in a 35 point blowout. WOW!
                              An incorrect statement. But your goal wasn't necessarily to be accurate was it?

I was not at the game but after watching the replay my thoughts were the Shocks played a decent game but not a great game. OTOH, MSU did not play poorly, they played absolutely horribly. I can certainly understand your embarrassment. I would be very upset as well if I was a Lady Bears fan.

Comment

I've been studying the game replay from the MSU broadcast. It is hard to know for sure but this is what may have gone down from what I could see.

At about the 2:40 mark Mikala McGhee was fouled by Michaela Dapprich. In attempting to swat the ball out of McGhee's hands it looks like Dapprich hit McGhee in the nose with a glancing blow with her hand or a finger. At about the 1:14 mark McGhee caught Dapprich with an elbow to the nose. Dapprich responded by knocking down a trey with 0:59 remaining. At which time the game was stopped so the officials could review a replay. Perhaps Dapprich's bloody nose was the catalyst I don't know. Was the elbow by McGhee intentional. I don't have slow motion so it's a little hard to tell, but she was pretty much looking right at Michaela at contact and instead of pulling up she followed through. I don't question whether or not McGhee is a good young lady off the court, but that is of little relevance to the question at hand. I think the reason it took so long is because it was probably very close to being called a Flagrant 2. I think the officials probably made the right call as it was not real obvious as to intent.

It was probably a good 25 seconds after the actual incident occurred and 10 seconds after the play was stopped when you can see Coach Crawford take a couple of steps toward the MSU bench (which put him about one-half of a step outside he coaches box) and he did, in fact, seemed to yell something in the direction of the MSU bench and slapped his notebook. A couple of things struck me. Coach Crawford did not seem at all upset initially as he calmly sitting on his chair for 8-10 seconds after play was halted, he got up and it looked to me like he re-acted to something he saw from the direction of the MSU bench. I have no idea what that may have been, if anything. Coach Crawford is generally not a real demonstrable guy either. Also if the MSU bench could hear anything Coach Crawford may have yelled then the officials surely heard it as well as they were about halfway between the two benches.

When the actual incident occurred there was very little reaction by the Shocker coaching staff. All remained calmly seated. Coach Crawford did point at something but did not seem overly upset. It sure looks to me like something from the direction of the MSU bench caused him to re-act. What exactly his reaction was in terms of what he may have said or whether such reaction was warranted is impossible to say. It does not appear that the Shocker coaches requested the review. That seemed totally on the referees.

We will probably never know the full story on this but I have would have no problem if the Valley wants to investigate the full story, although I would be very surprised anyone at the Valley will think it's worth the time and the effort based on he evidence I've seen.

The MSU announcers, who by the way are not very good to say the least, had no idea what had happened or what was going on although I think they were probably located on the opposite side of the court.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 11, 2014, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X